Has the heat died down? Is it OK to openly like Undertale again?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Hype Backlash is a hell of a thing. Too many people like a thing and suddenly everyone who hasn't experienced the thing gets tired of hearing about it and that turns into anger of people who like it.

So it's been a few month after Undertale won Game of the Year awards and pissed off a lot of people. Has everyone cooled down enough that people can say they Like Undertale without getting hate for it?

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
There was a backlash against Undertale? First I heard of it, but I *have* been away from this place for a while.

So, let's try. I like Undertale. I just never finished Undertale, because Undyne got on my nerves and then I got distracted. I should probably finish it, at some point. But I like what I played of it.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Stewie Plisken said:
There was a backlash against Undertale? First I heard of it, but I *have* been away from this place for a while.
There was the usual "Most overrated game evar", "I'm smugly disinterested in this game", "Fanbase is horrible", "Undertale is an SJW game" (not sure how people came to that conclusion but I saw it a few times).

If you feel like venturing into youtube comments check out Zero Punctuation Top 5 of 2015 for some fun reading. A lot of people were apparently disappointed that Yahtzee liked it.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'd say leave it until the next darling comes round to grab people's hearts.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's never alright to openly like anything. You like a big AAA game, and you're just a dumb idiot who likes being pandered to and who is bringing the industry down. You like an indie game, and you're a smug, pretentious asshat who likes the smell of his own farts.

You wanna be a cool guy -- Then don't (openly) like anything.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
You can't like (or dislike) anything on the internet without getting at least some hate. I'd guess the backlash for this game is mooosssstttlllyyy over though, just judging by a video I recently watched about it that didn't seem to get any negativity in the comments.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbmlx-VYaao)

It's good timing too, I've patched enough pieces of my broken, blackened soul back together to bear watching stuff about it again. Maybe I'll even play through it once more.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I was surprised the Nintendo fans in particular were so hostile to Undertale. You'd think they appreciate the successor to the Mother games they keep (rightfully) pestering Nintendo into actually releasing properly.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Stewie Plisken said:

So, let's try. I like Undertale. I just never finished Undertale, because Undyne got on my nerves and then I got distracted. I should probably finish it, at some point. But I like what I played of it.
Well not just here. All over the gaming focused places on the internet really.

What I found most funny about it was the people falling back on the arguments they would use for other games that don't even really apply to Undertale. Like "it's not really a game", or "it's just a game snooty indie type play to make them selves think their better than everyone else". The kind of things some people like to level at games like Dear Ester.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Well not just here. All over the gaming focused places on the internet really.

What I found most funny about it was the people falling back on the arguments they would use for other games that don't even really apply to Undertale. Like "it's not really a game", or "it's just a game snooty indie type play to make them selves think their better than everyone else". The kind of things some people like to level at games like Dear Ester.
Yeah, I don't see it. Undertale was absolutely a game, it was not a snooty indie type play, it did its own thing, it did it mostly well and it was certainly not an SJW game (I don't even). I understand the "it's overrated" complaint, in that everything praised eventually gets that description, because different strokes for different folks, but the above claims are unfounded.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Huh! There was a backlash? I just saw some complaints and saw some people that didn't understand it's success after Yahtzee's end year video and that's it.

I love that it exists. It's a different piece of work that is well thought out and has an amazing soundtrack. And it's important to the world because it is a reminder that super graphics and physics aren't required to make a special experience. It's by no means perfect though (actually, I reckon it has some massive flaws), but it was a breath a fresh air that really needs a hard mode. lol

Cati

😏
Sep 4, 2014
Stewie Plisken said:

It was largely a manufactured backlash.

Remember when games pubs were talking about "gamergate" and the like hating undertale for being a "social justice" game? And how mad they'd be over it being popular and getting awards...

When actually it was really popular within and without gg circles, and was actually thought of as being diversity in games done right as opposed to being the usual shoe-horned games media approved flavour of diversity.

Eta. I suspect they capitalised on the standard and inevitable hype backlash Eric talks about in the OP. 'cause we can't have everyone getting along again and actually enjoying the thoughtful and diverse media together.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Cati said:
Stewie Plisken said:

It was largely a manufactured backlash.

Remember when games pubs were talking about "gamergate" and the like hating undertale for being a "social justice" game? And how mad they'd be over it being popular and getting awards...

When actually it was really popular within and without gg circles, and was actually thought of as being diversity in games done right as opposed to being the usual shoe-horned games media approved flavour of diversity.

Eta. I suspect they capitalised on the standard and inevitable hype backlash Eric talks about in the OP. 'cause we can't have everyone getting along again and actually enjoying the thoughtful and diverse media together.
To be perfectly honest, I do remember that being brought up by some publications and some game circles, yes. It struck me as odd then just as it does now, because I haven't seen a single person out of the many I follow on Twitter ever levy a heavy criticism against the game.

But as others pointed out earlier, the backlash was real (there is evidence of it) at least from some people and I maintain it's backlash that is very unfounded.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
There was heat? I thought everyone was fine with Undertale and its fanbase.
I will say that between Undertale and The Force Awakens that we've given the anti-spoiler lobby way too much power.
Everyone is afraid of discussing anything for fear of offending someone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It's safer than it was. The outrage seems to have turned into a smoldering undercurrent of antipathy.

SmallHatLogan said:
"Undertale is an SJW game" (not sure how people came to that conclusion but I saw it a few times).
Anything "I " don't like can be called SJW. It's a snarl word.

Hades said:
I was surprised the Nintendo fans in particular were so hostile to Undertale. You'd think they appreciate the successor to the Mother games they keep (rightfully) pestering Nintendo into actually releasing properly.
Nintendo didn't do it, which seems to be a breaking point for at least a few people.

Bad Jim said:
You mean be a grumpy old git?
Hating everything is the new black. Turns out us grumpy old gits were just ahead of our time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Souplex said:
There was heat? I thought everyone was fine with Undertale and its fanbase.
I will say that between Undertale and The Force Awakens that we've given the anti-spoiler lobby way too much power.
Everyone is afraid of discussing anything for fear of offending someone.
Those are two REALLY bad examples. Like, seriously, I'm not sure you could have picked worse ones, giving the level of rage TFA spawned, too.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I was wondering the opposite - Is it finally OK to openly dislike it? Any time I tried to discuss the game and my reasons for disliking it I would get swarmed by rabid fans on a bloody crusade. To be fair, the Escapist forums weren't nowhere near as bad, but in general, my experience has been that any criticism of the game tends to be met with fierce opposition...

And no, I don't dislike it because it's an "SJW game". I don't think it is one, but then again, I don't think that Inclusive = SJW by default. I don't dislike it because I'm trying to be different or edgy. I just didn't like it. But apparently, that's not allowed.

I failed to connect with that game on any level after a bit over two hours into it. I wasn't outraged, I wasn't angry, nothing like that. I was just mildly bored. I disliked the gameplay, the characters and story did nothing for me, I didn't much care how it turns out (and watching the endings on Youtube did little to convince me that I missed out), the graphics were from an era of pixel art that I just don't like. It had some nice music, but beyond that it had nothing that I was into. I wouldn't call it overrated, but it's definitely a game that zigged when I zagged...

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I have no idea how Undertale is meant to be a 'SJW' game. Because the protagonist's gender is never confirmed? Because the girl dinosaur and girl fishmonster go on a date? Because the male Mettatron is fabulous?

Well, maybe I do have some ideas.

I still really like Undertale, myself.
And there is, of course, the music and all of its covers.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
I have no idea how Undertale is meant to be a 'SJW' game. Because the protagonist's gender is never confirmed? Because the girl dinosaur and girl fishmonster go on a date? Because the male Mettatron is fabulous?

Well, maybe I do have some ideas.

I still really like Undertale, myself.
And there is, of course, the music and all of its covers.
You failed to link the best covers!