Has Titanfall been successful?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
I don't really hear about it much, the only thing players tell me is that there isn't enough content to keep you engaged for long.
This sums up my feelings on it rather nicely.

Personally, I think that the gameplay is actually pretty amazing. It keeps me engaged. And yet, it quickly runs out of newness.

A lot of people might not like CoD, but it at least provided incentives to keep you playing, even after ranking up all the way. There was an abundance of cosmetics to upgrade, emblems, hell, even little name cards. It gave you a reason to keep playing, especially if there was a certain look you wanted. I sure as hell liked pimping out my guns.

But Titanfall has none of that. All of the Titans are bland and samey, the guns are static, and your only awards are burn cards, which do nothing more than make your next win easier. The game avoids the weapons bloat in CoD, and yet the lack of choice, even if that choice is an illusion, just makes it hard to invest in the game for long periods of time.

It could be addressed in future DLC, but that it wasn't in the game to begin with was disappointing.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I read it was the best-selling game of March/April, but the PS4 managed to outsell the Xbone anyway. Make of that what you will. I read some good reviews of the game here and elsewhere, so it must have some good in it. Maybe you don't hear anything about it anymore because there's nothing to talk about?

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Nah, it was a shitty, generic shooter with no depth and no content, with a decent player able to burn through ALL the content in less than a day. Combine this with a $60 price tag WITH NO CAMPAIGN, and they were obviously trying to ship out a quick little profit, and it failed miserably.

http://www.insiderp.com/titanfall-launch-sales.html

Only about 700,000 sales overall, at 60 bucks a pop, ends up at about 42 million in total.

I can't find the budget they had, but it had to be around 100 million dollars or something. So, that's a pretty big loss. Not sure if they've made the money back, but it was no where what they expected.

In short: They release a shitty, overpriced, game riding solely on marketing, and it sells abysmal. And that's awesome.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
I don't really hear about it much, the only thing players tell me is that there isn't enough content to keep you engaged for long.
Sadly it is a bit of a problem, there's very little customization present (couldn't even rename classes up until the latest patch) and you hit level cap pretty quickly with no choice but to essentially reset and do it all over again with a few more challenges and a tiny symbol next to your name being the only thing you get for it.

I think this is a case of them creating a base to work on though, they nailed the formula now and got the basics down, next up with the sequel all the crazy good stuff will come flowing most probably.

Anyway, it definitely did not live up to the hype but it was still a quite successful, they sold a fairly large amount of copies and there's more than enough people regularly playing it. I think the exclusivity deal with Microsoft really limited their success though, this game would've done pretty darn well had they released it on PS4.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
It did pretty well but in terms of matchmaking it's just terrible, and I think people moved on from it quite quickly. I hope it succeeds and that any sequels are improved.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I read it was the best-selling game of March/April, but the PS4 managed to outsell the Xbone anyway. Make of that what you will. I read some good reviews of the game here and elsewhere, so it must have some good in it. Maybe you don't hear anything about it anymore because there's nothing to talk about?
That's kind of what I'm asking really. From everything I've heard and seen of it, it's a good game that probably made it's, surprisingly small, $60 million budget back.

But it sounds like a game that was worth playing for a bit and then after that nothing special. CoD, and even Battlefield, are games that get talked about long after release for good and bad. Titanfall just seems like it might not quite have that quality.

And we've just gone through the most phenomenal games drought, I'm mean it's been so long since a great big budget release that it's making Transistor seem huuge. That's why Dark Souls 2 is getting discussed ad nauseum, because there's nothing else to discuss. But Titanfall doesn't seem to be there. People aren't bitching about balance, or really kicking up that much of a fuss about having content removed from the PC version. No one has made threads about Titanfall noobs or how amazing/overrated it is.

I bet the Xbox One is a really large part of that. EA probably reckoned that tying it to one platform would not only net them a boatload of cash but create the kind of rabid fanbase that Halo and Gears had. But they tied it to the console which has been stuck in a negative PR rut for so long now, that very few people are excited over it. If it had been PS4 exclusive then I bet we'd have had a lot of people cheering it's case, because at the moment people want the PS4 to be more successful than the One.

EDIT: That's a huge example of why this game should have had things to talk about. Where are all the people telling us that the PS4 is a stupid platform because it has no games and the Xbox One has the amazing Titanfall? That's the kind of conversation that should have been happening if it did as well as Microsoft and EA hoped

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Blitsie said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Sadly it is a bit of a problem, there's very little customization present (couldn't even rename classes up until the latest patch) and you hit level cap pretty quickly with no choice but to essentially reset and do it all over again with a few more challenges and a tiny symbol next to your name being the only thing you get for it.

I think this is a case of them creating a base to work on though, they nailed the formula now and got the basics down, next up with the sequel all the crazy good stuff will come flowing most probably.

Anyway, it definitely did not live up to the hype but it was still a quite successful, they sold a fairly large amount of copies and there's more than enough people regularly playing it. I think the exclusivity deal with Microsoft really limited their success though, this game would've done pretty darn well had they released it on PS4.
Ground work has been laid, that much is true. If they make another, pack it with a lot more content I may be interested.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
Blitsie said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Ground work has been laid, that much is true. If they make another, pack it with a lot more content I may be interested.
Spot on, game is solid plays really well and has most of FPS players jumping on board, problem being keeping them, considering limited customization and weapons and no campaign it probably won't keep you for long, but definitely a fleshed out version to keep you coming back would have really given it some longevity, but on the other hand did CoD and Halo climb to the top on their first bat? not really. i think titanfall 2 will probably be a bigger hit.

interesting, i originally thought that it was Microsoft exclusive to push Xbox one consoles, but i read somewhere, that 70% of all copies sold were on the 360 (pc made up only 1% and xbox one 29), not much point pushing next gen when you can get it this gen.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
pha kin su pah said:
Spot on, game is solid plays really well and has most of FPS players jumping on board, problem being keeping them, considering limited customization and weapons and no campaign it probably won't keep you for long, but definitely a fleshed out version to keep you coming back would have really given it some longevity, but on the other hand did CoD and Halo climb to the top on their first bat? not really. i think titanfall 2 will probably be a bigger hit.
I think Halo and CoD did both climb to the top on their first bat. I know that if you bought an Xbox, you bought it for Halo 1, people actually underestimated just how successful Halo 1 would be.

I can't find any stats to back me up for CoD because it doesn't seem to have had sales data, but as far as Halo goes:

In the first two months of Halo being on the market 50% of Xbox owners owned Halo. It was the fasting selling game of it's generation on release. In 2006 it was ranked as the 2nd most revenue generating console game ever. People were calling games 'Halo clones' at least a year before Halo 2 was ever released.

Still I agree Titanfall is going to get a second shot at being that successful, particularly once it's multiplatform and next-gen only.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
BrotherRool said:
pha kin su pah said:
I think Halo and CoD did both climb to the top on their first bat. I know that if you bought an Xbox, you bought it for Halo 1, people actually underestimated just how successful Halo 1 would be.

I can't find any stats to back me up for CoD because it doesn't seem to have had sales data, but as far as Halo goes:

In the first two months of Halo being on the market 50% of Xbox owners owned Halo. It was the fasting selling game of it's generation on release. In 2006 it was ranked as the 2nd most revenue generating console game ever. People were calling games 'Halo clones' at least a year before Halo 2 was ever released.

Still I agree Titanfall is going to get a second shot at being that successful, particularly once it's multiplatform and next-gen only.
Sorry i was thinking more in the lines of "overbearing force", both halo and cod started off really well (more so for halo, and pushing the xbox), but i was meaning where they became monster franchises, like halo grew much stronger moving from CE to 2 and 3, where as CoD really grew with MW and MW2.

Im guessing people may have thought titanfall would come in like mw and mw2 did (i originally thought it would), but its came in much like CoD and to extent Halo did. it really wasn't a console pusher tho like halo because it was released for the 360 as well which is shooting itself in foot.. so it'll probably follow a similar pattern.

but sales reports aren't quite delivering the full truth, couple of google searchs and figures showing titanfall sold between 700,000 and 925,000 in March, which doesn't account for the 360 release, which several reports in the UK were showing a massive increase in sales, and stated that PC and xbox1 sales represented roughly 30% of total copies sold, take that math and a pinch of salt and apply it to all sales and we are looking at roughly 3 million.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
pha kin su pah said:
but sales reports aren't quite delivering the full truth, couple of google searchs and figures showing titanfall sold between 700,000 and 925,000 in March, which doesn't account for the 360 release, which several reports in the UK were showing a massive increase in sales, and stated that PC and xbox1 sales represented roughly 30% of total copies sold, take that math and a pinch of salt and apply it to all sales and we are looking at roughly 3 million.
3 million would be underperforming though really. Tomb Raider (2013) managed to sell 3-5 million ish on launch and it's not exactly a wildly successful game.

The great thing though is because Titanfall has such a huge gameplay focus, a sequel can really build on it's strength. They can spend 3 years tweaking combat, adding modes (maybe a campaign) which will mean Titanfall 2 is certainly going to be even better than 1 was. Without being tied to the Xbox One's failure, maybe Titanfall 2 will be the sort of game that convinces people to buy next-gen consoles.

The two big reasons I can think for why it wasn't Halo successful is either the Xbox One's incredibly negative publicity or the lack of a campaign mode. It sounds like Titanfall PC isn't doing as well as it could, so maybe it's the campaign mode.

I wonder if there's actually big proportion of people who do buy CoD for the campaigns, or maybe the campaigns give the player a reason to stick with the game for a while until they really get into the multiplayer

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Well I dont think it has blown up if thats what you mean I only know one person who played it hes a FPS nut thats basically all he plays and he dropped it in a few days said he had enough.

I never hear anyone talk about it and all the people I know who used to or still do play games like Battlefield and COD on the whole really dont seem to care about it.

I havent played it but I did not like that they cut out the single player but still expected you to pay full price. Its probably a success just not the success they were hoping for and it didnt seem to have the selling power they needed to shift Xbox Ones hence the price cut and removal of Kinect.