Has your taste in video games ever changed?

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I don't think my tastes have changed. I grew up playing and enjoying platformers, puzzles, RPGs, and adventure titles and I would generally stay away from anything with a mature rating.

As I grew older and became desensitized and intrigued with what mature titles had to offer, I just went on to enjoy games of all genres that have caught my eye.

I still go back and replay the classics, but I never shy away from trying out something new and interesting.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Not so much "changed" as "adapted". I grew up on Super Mario and later, Wolfenstein, Heretic, and Doom. I've always been a closet steampunk/ fantasy fan so was automatically drawn to Castlevania. This also led me to Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general, with the first I really played through being final Fantasy 6. I probably beat Chrono Trigger more than half a dozen times and not just to get all the endings but because the game was that good. As tech evolved and genres changed, I wanted more freedom so moved to more action-oriented fare. Through 3rd person adventures (Tomb Raider, Uncharted), phallic nightmares (R-Type, Silent Hill), shooters and their revamps (Doom, Wolfenstein, Unreal, Tribes) games have become more open-ended and cross-genre than ever.

What I play now is whatever bores me the least because I've seen so much game that it's difficult to surprise me. I play ESO for the freedom to do whatever, wherever and housing's next week so I need the gold. I play PSVR so that the world around me disappears plus some of the games are quite literally rides, which is great because the parks are closed. I play The Witcher 3 because it's gorgeous! I play Diablo 3 on PS for the coop, a feature sorely lacking in modern games. I'll soon be playing Resident Evil 7 and I hope that it at least gives me that same tingly feeling I first felt in Silent Hill, and later P.T. I'm in an on-again, off-again relationship with Inquisition, a game I've beaten once already but wanted to go again using a class I was less familiar with, thus upping the difficulty and possibly tweaking the plotline.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Nazulu said:
I did a complete 180 when I turned 22, shifting from mostly multi-player online games to single player only games. Might have something to do with my free time getting cut shorter and shorter :p
I can second that!
I think a reason for that is, that I hate loosing :p And in online games you have to play a LOT to be good (during my "semiprofessional" days in WC3 I think played at least 3-4h every day!). Don't have time for that anymore!
Lucky me I was always into RPGs and there are enough of those to keep me going Singleplayer :) Also SC2 has/had a great Singleplayer story.
Aside from that ... in my youth, platformers never were that high on the list. And now I will happily put Super Meat Boy quite on top of my all-time favorites!
But more than that it is quite "stagnating"

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yes, constantly.

I have been a gamer since I was, like, 8 years old. To think my tastes didn't grew or changed since then would be ridiculous.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Not a whole lot, namely because my taste was pretty broad to begin with. Last weekend, I even went back to trying some games I used to play like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie, games I used to have trouble with before I knew my way around 3D controls. Then again, considering how easy they are for me now, I guess my taste has changed a bit. It was nice to re-visit them, but they were not that fun. I think I've lost interest in 3D collectathons.

I can't speak for entire genres, but there are a lot of games that I used to tolerate until new games with better controls and interfaces came along. What used to be a minor annoyance I just had to deal with is now an actual flaw that other games have solved.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
I don't really play RTS games like I used to.

Growing up, games like Age of Empires II, Empire Earth, Starcraft, and Warcraft III were all my favorite games.

Then, when I got older, I discovered that I really, really suck at them. I was never one to learn the keyboard shortcuts and work on my APM, so I would get demolished by some Korean dude on a near-lethal dose of Adderall every time I tried to play online.

I like me some turn-based strategy, though. I only recently discovered the Civilization series...

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i used to play alot of fps and rts games as well as flight simulators alot..

i lasted 46 minutes in the new doom game before it bored the crap out of me and rts games just dont grab me anymore

as for flight simulators well the genre changed. it used to be you could press a few keys and be up in the air but these days they are so complicated its stupid and killed my interest. i miss the days of the microprose sims

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Absolutely. As I kid, I played almost exclusively sports games and platformers like Mario and Sonic. As I grew older, I became more impressed with stuff like the old Call of Duty games (2 still has a special place in my heart) and Grand Theft Auto games. When CoD moved away from historical settings which I adore, and I realized that most (if not all) open world games people cut tons of slack just because they're big (decent at lots of things... good at none) I started to pay more attention to RTS and RPGs and that has sort of evolved in more story driven games in general now.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
I basically like the same stuff I liked about 20 years ago but I get a lot less patient with stuff that involves nothing else than spending a lot of time. I still like JRPGS but only if there is nearly no grind. I still like turn-based stuff but it has to be somewhere between Darkest Dungeon (too high a difficulty for me) and the *ahem* rock-paper-scissors of Fire Emblem. I still can't play any sports or racing game which hasn't some kind of supernatural or scifi stuff in it. I am still bad at FPSs and won't play them unless it is something like Bioshock. I am still not a big sucker for graphics and will take most weird indie-games over a triple A title, because they often do stuff differently. I play games since around 1988 or so, so I've seen most stuff already and need something really new or really well done to get me to play something longer than 30 minutes.