Hasbro Sets My Little Pony Movie For 2017

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Hasbro Sets My Little Pony Movie For 2017

Toy horse franchise will head back to theaters in new animated feature

Apart from a limited theatrical run for the pilot of the humanoid Equestria Girls [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-trailers/7527-My-Little-Pony-Equestria-Girls-Trailer] spin-off in 2013, Hasbro's long-running My Little Pony franchise hasn't been seen in movie theaters since 1986's My Little Pony: The Movie. But that's about to change.

Hasbro Studios has given a greenlight to a new animated feature-film for the franchise, which will be produced through the company's new production-sharing arm Allspark Pictures; which is currently putting the finishing touches on the live-action Jem & The Holograms movie. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133525-Fans-Journalists-Attack-G-I-Joe-Directors-Live-Action-Jem-Reboot] It is not known whether the film will be related to the current television incarnation of the series (MLP: Friendship is Magic) or another reinvention of the characters/concept.

Joe Ballarini (Ice Age: Continental Drift) will pen the screenplay, while Friendship is Magic writer/producer Megan McCarthy will executive produce. Hasbro is currently awaiting the box-office results of its first theatrical horror-franchise, the board-game-based shocker Ouija, due in U.S. theaters this week.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/my-little-pony-movie-in-the-works-at-hasbro-studios-exclusive-1201334144/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
If Lauren Faust isn't attached to this, i can't imagine this will do well.
Lauren Faust hasn't been attached to MLP since the first season (and arguably a couple of the earlier episodes of season 2), and it's been doing great. She isn't, and never was, the ONLY thing good about FiM.

Anyways, this intrigues me. This being tied to Friendship is Magic seems obvious, but if that's the case, then why are they doing this differently than the previous two films?

Perhaps this means we'll get a legitimate, non-Equestria Girls MLP movie, then. I like Equestria Girls well enough, but a full-length movie in the main universe would be awesome. Fingers crossed.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
2017? I'm not too clued up on the MLP fandom, but wouldn't a MLP movie released tomorrow represent missing the boat by a considerable margin, let alone three years in the future?

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Batou667 said:
2017? I'm not too clued up on the MLP fandom, but wouldn't a MLP movie released tomorrow represent missing the boat by a considerable margin, let alone three years in the future?
That was pretty much my first thought too. Have these people never heard the phrase "strike while the iron is hot?"

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Batou667 said:
Oh, hardly. The fandom may have slowed its growth considerably since 2011, but the franchise itself has been going from strength to strength. I think MLP has been far and away the most profitable Hasbro toy property for a couple of years now; regardless of how the fandom's doing, FiM is doing very well for itself amongst its target audience. Plotting out a movie for 2017 is certainly long-term thinking, but it's not a hubristic or bad business decision, based on how the property is currently doing.

I'd be interested to see what this ends up as, though, seeing as Hasbro is apparently keeping the alt-universe Equestria Girls franchise running for now. A new movie direction? Ending Friendship is magic? Kicking off a new generation? Something else entirely? A lot of time will tell, I suppose.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm trying to keep an open mind, but that new Jem & The Holograms movie looks AWFUL. This can't be a good omen.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Batou667 said:
Not judging by the business Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks did last month.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I wish hasbro would actually make a full on proper Transformers animated or CGI movie that isn't being done by Bay, I normally don't mind his movies as much but I really wish hasbro paid more attention to that franchise considering MLP has gone on for about 5 seasons now with TF's last show which went on for only 2 and a half and still a long wait until the new show comes out, all it has going for the franchise are the figures from their end.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dimitriov said:
Batou667 said:
That was pretty much my first thought too. Have these people never heard the phrase "strike while the iron is hot?"
Hardly, its still going strong and for some reason bob forgot about the limited theatrical run of Rainbow Rocks which was sold out down here.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Megan McCarthy will executive produce.
Okay Miss McCarthy, you've gone a bit Anakin Skywalker what with Equestria Girls but if this is straight pony I know you can do it.

Hang on, 2017, so it won't be made in flash I presume.

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
Oh perfect every theater in America will be filled with basement dwelling fedora wearing neck beards. No thank you

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Tyranicus said:
Oh perfect every theater in America will be filled with basement dwelling fedora wearing neck beards. No thank you
Ha, as opposed to what? Every hotel convention hall? Or every movie theater on say...a DC/Marvel movie premier?
I've been to ComicCon and to a brony con. One had Joss Whedon attending, the other had Tara Strong. I'll let you guess which drew out the weirder, more obsessed, crazy, smelly and fedora wearing crowd.

(Hint: It was the group with the Buffy fangirls)

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Okay, Hasbro, your Ouija movie looks terrible. However, you make yourselves a Ouija: Friendship is Magic movie, you have yourselves a winner.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
What's this? A MLP news on the Escapist? Last time I remember the last time they posted a pony news on here it was a world of shitstorm, yet again that was a couple of years ago during when it had reach it peak so hopefully people now have mellow out (I hoped).

OT- I thinking it's a different movie which is not related to Equestian girl since that is too far away for an sequel to EG (I really want to know what will happened in the third film now given the end credit from Rainbow Rocks).

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Batou667 said:
Only if they were targeting the ironic 4chan demographic, which was always pretty insignificant compared either to little girls, or even to hardcore bronies.

While there were many memes about MLP around 2011, the fandom itself is more than just a meme, it has mostly stabilized as a community that keeps waiting for all new seasons and episodes, and amuses itself with fan works and conventions in-between.

As a mainstream francise, MLP is doing extremely well, toy sales are up, and series ratings are growing. The apparent "fad" status of pony memes from the Internet geekdom's perspective, is of little relevance to Hasbro.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
...greeeeaat...

just when things were starting to cooldown, i really hope bronies dont start shoving their stuff down everyone's throat... more than usual

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
So how will they screw this one up?

Putting my money on live action/CGI hybrid like the Garfield movies.