Hate Halts Cartoonist from visiting Halifax

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I had a quick read of a few pages of the comic and didn't like it, I think its preachy, don't like the art style and I'm clearly not the intended audience for it but you know what, I don't have the urge to start throwing harassment at the creator, I think she should be able to promote her book in peace.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Is it really impossible to just stay away from this sort of stuff if it isn't your thing? These strips are provocative (depends on who reads them, obviously) so in a way even some harsh comments ought to be expected but even then I'd say ignoring the cartoon and the artist gets one better off in the end.

Circlejerking is a strong thing, though. Whatever.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
BreakfastMan said:
And how does that make the statement "Reproduction happens without the help of heterosexuality" anti-science?
Did you seriously just ask that question? Apparently we've left basic logic behind now.
Just think about sexuality as a political thing instead of scientific and voila - The Problematic lies before you.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Silvanus said:
inu-kun said:
Looking at a few strips, it's kinda like religeous zealots being hated back. A person who's sole act is to make moralizing bad points facing shit and the only real option is to feel neutral about it.
First instinct is to criticise the comic, and ignore the threats the writer received, which are the topic of the thread. Nice.
Wow! Is this a poster from R&P being hypocritical? I can't believe my eyes! What a surprise.

No, honestly, this exact same thing happens whenever someone makes a thread in R&P about some alt right conservative cuckfuck being stopped from making a speech or whatever. Except its not Zontar doing it, its you, Saelune and co. Yes, I just lumped you in with Saelune, sorry.

OT: Very unnecessary, anyone with two braincells can tell Assigned Male is a pile of tripe. Its actually kind of hilarious. I'm not to bothered about trans issues, live and let live, but the author of those comics is clearly the perfect example of what some people want to convince me all trans are like - an unstable, mentally ill snowflake with a distorted view of reality. There is no need to stop her from making public appearences or promoting her work though. We can read Mein Kampf or The State and Revolution without turning into nazis or communists so I'm sure this dumb comic strip won't become a threat to society.

BreakfastMan said:
And how does that make the statement "Reproduction happens without the help of heterosexuality" anti-science?
Did you seriously just ask that question? Apparently we've left basic logic behind now.
I am proud of my allies. Are you proud of yours?

Edit: And also you say "live and let live" but defend the people threating someone.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Callate said:
(Yeah, because this is an argument I really want to get embroiled in...)

In vitro fertilization has a success rate of around 20-35% per cycle, at a cost of between $12,000 and $15,000 per attempt. There is also research suggesting that children born through IVF may have health problems later in life no shared by their non-IVF peers.

IVF is not about to replace reproduction between biological males and biological females. It is an option available only to relatively well-off people, mostly in first-world countries with elaborate health-care systems that have moved beyond things like treating dysentery and insuring the survival of women and children going through the rigors of regular, everyday biological birth.

Can reproduction without a heterosexual union happen? Yes. But if the argument is that nature isn't a factor in reproduction as a species, that's utter nonsense.

It's unfortunate that terms like "normal" and "natural" are being used as though they were commendations, and their opposites as pejoratives. Not being "normal" or "natural" doesn't mean being wrong or lesser or evil.

But that also doesn't excuse people stretching to ridiculous contortions to imagine an outlier is the norm.
Sincerely, no sarcasm whatsoever in this-

You are both too good and too right for this thread. Don't waste your time here.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Saelune said:
Edit: And also you say "live and let live" but defend the people threating someone.
I think that, in these discussions, what people actually mean by 'live and let live' is 'is do what you want, but I don't want to hear or think about it'. Which doesn't have to be a terrible thing in itself, but in cases like this it halts any progress, because minorities do need the help of the majority to make change happen. Yet the majority often underestimates the size of the problem while overestimating the size of the solution, and starts fighting tooth and nail to not have anything to do with it.

The whole bathroom thing would be the perfect example. Regardless of sex or gender, humans need to use the bathroom several times a day for various reasons. And when you do need to go, you want to be able to go and go safely. Not being able to do so can kind of turn into a big problem because, you know, bodily functions be functioning. Only a tiny percentage of the population is transgender or intersex and you might never meet someone who's affected by the bathroom police in person, but that doesn't mean that not being able to go to the bathroom sucks any less for that rare person who really, really needs to go but can't because of people who want to make sure they have the 'right' genitals. And to make matters worse, the solution is so simple many people wouldn't even notice it being used: allow people to use the bathroom that matches their gender.

But as simple as things might be able to be, you can rarely get there without raising awareness. And yeah, people who are fighting for something that means to world to them might get a little preachy, but anyone with an ounce of empathy should be able to understand that and seperate the content of the message from the presentation.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Do people not realize "natural" in the context being argued just means normal most common? It's not a value judgement.

The way humans reproduce, it'd be more beneficial for everyone to be attracted to the opposite sex by design. The cases where this doesn't happen or the sex is vague are exceptions where wires got crossed along the way. It's "natural" so far as it occurs naturally in nature, but it's not suppose to.

So I could say trans-people are abnormal and be factually right, but that word will be perceived as meaning I'm singling them out or that we should discriminate against them.

But the biggest take away here is IT DOESN'T MATTER if it's natural or not. Genetics shouldn't determine what rights people have or how they're treated in most cases.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Callate said:
(Yeah, because this is an argument I really want to get embroiled in...)

In vitro fertilization has a success rate of around 20-35% per cycle, at a cost of between $12,000 and $15,000 per attempt. There is also research suggesting that children born through IVF may have health problems later in life no shared by their non-IVF peers.

IVF is not about to replace reproduction between biological males and biological females. It is an option available only to relatively well-off people, mostly in first-world countries with elaborate health-care systems that have moved beyond things like treating dysentery and insuring the survival of women and children going through the rigors of regular, everyday biological birth.

Can reproduction without a heterosexual union happen? Yes. But if the argument is that nature isn't a factor in reproduction as a species, that's utter nonsense.

It's unfortunate that terms like "normal" and "natural" are being used as though they were commendations, and their opposites as pejoratives. Not being "normal" or "natural" doesn't mean being wrong or lesser or evil.

But that also doesn't excuse people stretching to ridiculous contortions to imagine an outlier is the norm.
If you didn't want to have the argument, why bother posting in the thread? :p

But, more seriously, the argument is less 'Nature isn't a factor in reproduction' and more 'non-heterosexual reproduction has a number of natural means, and non-heterosexual reproduction is perfectly normal'. It's something put forth to try and remove the stigma surrounding non-het families, and to also let LGBTQIA couples know that there's other avenues to having kids besides 'Man and Woman'.

While there are people who do make the 'heterosexual reproduction is a thing of the past' argument seriously, that tends to be relegated to the realm of 14-year olds on the internet or extremist feminists (who, hilariously, tend to also be anti-trans - is great fun to watch the mental gymnastics they go through to argue for non-het reproduction while still arguing against trans folk) you shouldn't be arguing with anyway. Everyone else is just 'it'd be nice if it was a common thing, but the tech is still too expensive/uncommon/unrefined to be wide-spread enough, so we'll just spend our time telling society to be less of a cock to the two dudes having a biological baby'.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot properly embed the the appropriate post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.950826-Hate-Halts-Cartoonist-from-visiting-Halifax?page=2#23975885] by RiseOfTheWhiteWolf, because it has been moderated for containing various personal slurs and insults based on mental health.

Nevertheless, it addresses me personally, so I'll quote:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Wow! Is this a poster from R&P being hypocritical? I can't believe my eyes! What a surprise.

No, honestly, this exact same thing happens whenever someone makes a thread in R&P about some alt right conservative cuckfuck being stopped from making a speech or whatever. Except its not Zontar doing it, its you, Saelune and co. Yes, I just lumped you in with Saelune, sorry.
You don't actually have any examples of me personally doing this, do you? You're just speaking generally, and lumping all the people you disagree with together-- assuming each one is guilty of whatever you think the others are guilty of. Typical guilt-by-association bollocks.

So, no, that's not "hypocrisy", because you've provided nothing whatsoever in the way of examples or instances, just thrown the word around like mud in the playground.

===

Similarly, I cannot embed the post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.950826-Hate-Halts-Cartoonist-from-visiting-Halifax#23975532] by Zontar which addresses me, either, because it has also been moderated.

Simply put, Zontar, that post does not actually say what you originally claimed it said. I had expected that to be the case.

===

Shadowstar38 said:
Do people not realize "natural" in the context being argued just means normal most common? It's not a value judgement.
In that case, it's simply being misused. That's not what "natural" means, and it has very little/ no relation to how common something is.

Shadowstar38 said:
The way humans reproduce, it'd be more beneficial for everyone to be attracted to the opposite sex by design. The cases where this doesn't happen or the sex is vague are exceptions where wires got crossed along the way. It's "natural" so far as it occurs naturally in nature, but it's not suppose to.
More beneficial in what sense? If we simply wanted as many babies as possible to be born, then sure, but that would not be a good thing to happen-- we are already experiencing overcrowding and scarcity, not to mention the current pressures the foster system is under.

We're talking about nature. There is no "supposed to", because there is no intention behind it. Nature is a complex system of relationships, orders, and smaller systems. There is no mind to "suppose".

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Hate the strip and have a big problem with the mindsets behind it.

But I find the reaction of the usual conservatives to this very intriguing. I guess the tired old "No bad tactics..." meme cuts both ways, doesn't it?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Smithnikov said:
Hate the strip and have a big problem with the mindsets behind it.

But I find the reaction of the usual conservatives to this very intriguing. I guess the tired old "No bad tactics..." meme cuts both ways, doesn't it?
Why is always "just the usual conservatives"? Why is always "just the alt-right"?

I mean, I've been called alt-right on here in private messages because I said that Trump wasn't the absolute worst event in the history of the world. And I have firmly placed myself as a centrist, and somehow my position keeps shifting to the right even though my politics and priorities really haven't changed at all, especially around here.

Just saying that I'm getting more than a bit fed up with the mentality that's sorta become the norm around here that is all about beating words to death and slapping "alt-right", "conservative", "Republican" onto people that have different opinions and then effectively screaming at them over the internet simply because of that. We used to have a pretty wide range of opinions around here, but most of them have been driven off because "conservatives are traitors", "usual alt-right suspects", "THE POLITICAL RIGHT, URGH".

I mean, when did tolerance stop being something you strived for as a community? Why is it everytime these politics comes up, you're slapped with the label of "conservative alt-right hate machine" within posts of saying something that isn't exactly in line

OT: Oh noes, the girl that has a crayon-colored background webcomic about mocking and stringing up anyone that thinks differently can't take being mocked. Ohnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

As I've read around, I'm not sure I can take this seriously, since one article says their public page was vandalized, while another doesn't say anything about public pages and uses quotes from her talking about them all being in private messages.

Also they didn't contact the police at all for any of these thousands of hate messages because, and I quote, "Some people in the community have had bad interactions with the police". Won't even bother making an official papertrail so that if something does happen, they have something to point to other than a bunch of articles that don't even have a consistent story or facts.

Add in that the earlier Ottawa book signing apparently had less than 30 people there, and I'm honestly staring to heavily lean on making up alot of it for publicity. Or at the very least hyperbolic simply because she has not made an effort to get anyone with questions or differing opinions on her side. Very antagonistic individual pretty much anytime I've seen her address comments or opinions in person, and the comic is barely better.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
Well that sucks. Hopefully she doesn't lose too much business on this; dealing with the usual level of online harassment an openly trans person receives sucks enough, having it affect your life like this is way worse.

Saelune said:
Even Canada has right-wing bigoted idiots who dont understand anything. That this is a problem only in the US is short sighted.
I hope you'll understand why I just laughed incredibly loud while reading your post, given... present thread company.

the December King said:
Read this just today, the creator of the comic Assigned Male was planning a stop in Nova Scotia as part of her latest book launch, received a ton of threats, and subsequently decided not to visit Halifax.

Although I don't really like the comic, I just wanted to say that I'm pretty disgusted by this behavior. Halifax has always seemed far more inclusive to me than other places I've been (which, admittedly, has been relatively few).

I don't want to think of this as online harassment necessarily from locals here... nonetheless, it's still deplorable, and a shame as well.
Locals as in 'physical area' or locals as in 'people on this website'? Because the thread is still young, give it time. We've already got some delightful misgendering and we haven't even hit page 2 yet.
... Totally didn't consider the thread or the responses when I typed it- if I do have any pride in where I'm from, it was manifest in making this thread- hoping that it wasn't slander and threats being issued from my hometown, that is.

kitsunefather said:
I think, without trying to start anything, that showing examples of the harassment would make those who are less sympathetic moreso, and silence people who question whether the harassment and threats received were of a nature that would lead to cancelling an event. Because, in the absence of evidence, my first instinct is to notice what great publicity this is for her book.

And yes, I know that's cynical. Again, in the absence of evidence, I assume dishonesty.
I will also admit freely, that I was acting on emotion in posting this article (how dare people behave so childishly, etc.), and that the idea that this was potentially beneficial, in any way, never crossed my mind.

I mean, I'm sure she'd rather it hadn't have happened.

Having said that, I don't have time to chase down the specific posts or attacks themselves- I'm taking this on faith (though I can see how it might be construed as me being naive to do so).

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Redryhno said:
I mean, I've been called alt-right on here in private messages because I said that Trump wasn't the absolute worst event in the history of the world. And I have firmly placed myself as a centrist, and somehow my position keeps shifting to the right even though my politics and priorities really haven't changed at all, especially around here.
I can't speak for others, but my criteria for labelling someone alt right is simple.

-Do you frequent /pol/ for reasons other than research or irony?
-Do you use the words "dindu" or "cuck"(exceptions when referring to the actual sexual kink)
-Do you support authoritarian measures by declared right wing sources that you would rail on about from lefties
-Are there people oyu want to throw from helicopters

Just saying that I'm getting more than a bit fed up with the mentality that's sorta become the norm around here that is all about beating words to death and slapping "alt-right", "conservative", "Republican" onto people that have different opinions and then effectively screaming at them over the internet simply because of that. We used to have a pretty wide range of opinions around here, but most of them have been driven off because "conservatives are traitors", "usual alt-right suspects", "THE POLITICAL RIGHT, URGH".
Now hopefully you have some empathy for those us whoa re fed up with being called cuckolds, libtards, feminazis, and autists because f our opinions. Payback's a *****, ain't it?

I mean, when did tolerance stop being something you strived for as a community? Why is it everytime these politics comes up, you're slapped with the label of "conservative alt-right hate machine" within posts of saying something that isn't exactly in line
Why am I called a white knight cuck because I disagree with people who call all women money grubbers and all women love rape?

OT: Oh noes, the girl that has a crayon-colored background webcomic about mocking and stringing up anyone that thinks differently can't take being mocked. Ohnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
I've seen /r/incel and /r/physicalremoval, both of which have promoted violence as well. Yet somehow they get less hate than this.

In a perfect world, they would get equal, I mean, but I'm sorry, the woman/man behind Assigned Male is just screeching at me, not elaborating how they intend to throw me out of a helicopter if I'm guilty of "cultural Marxism".

So my outrage has a cap here.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
@Redrhyno: You say you are a centrist, but you do not say much else in that regard (though many self-labelled "Centrists" do similar to you). Adding "I dont support Trump but..." then proceeding to do things like...supporting Trump, kind of conflicts. You very much have expressed primarily right-wing views, and you havent challenged that notion here either.

I think you would find similar fault in me if I said I was a "centrist" rather than entrenchingly left-wing.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
inu-kun said:
K12 said:
inu-kun said:
Looking at a few strips, it's kinda like religeous zealots being hated back. A person who's sole act is to make moralizing bad points facing shit and the only real option is to feel neutral about it.

Also both are anti science:
http://assignedmale.tumblr.com/page/5
The linked strip isn't anti-science at all.

Unless you commit the age-old conflation between sex and gender and ignore people who are intersex/ hermaphrodites (who always seem to get ignored in this topic for some reason) and ignore people who have changed their sex so that their genitals match with their gender (but obviously haven't changed their genetics)

The overall comic and author may well be anti-science as far as I know (literally never heard about it before today) but you have to stretch a bit to make that conclusion based on just this strip. If there are more and better examples then feel free to post them.

... I have a feeling this thread is going to go well.
I thought about that but this just means that rather than answer in the strips that the strawmen conflates between sex and gender it answers that XX XY definition does not exist.
Does it? It just says "you don't know shit about Biology". Interpreting that to me she's saying "XX and XY don't exist/ don't matter" is being very uncharitable.

inu-kun said:
Granted there are mutations, but they are statistically one in thousands of birth, thus no real reason to change the definition (otherwise saying "humans are born 2 arms/lungs/parts of the brain" is also wrong despite being extremely rare and just muddies the definition to "humans are born a blob of meat") and regardless is definitely not the point of the comics.
The "definition of human" isn't really comparable here. The offspring of two humans is a human no matter how atypical it is (barring some sci-fi custom hybrid genome stuff anyway) whereas sexual dymorphism is kind of a unique case. That's why the whole "I'm transracial" or "I'm a dolphin trapped in a man's body" stuff is bullshit and not remotely similar.

Conditions in the womb determine what sex you develop into. If you are XY the SRY gene typically creates the conditions to make several changes to the foetus to become male after the early stages where all foetuses develop as female (so in a sense every man in the world has had a sex change prior to their birth). Sometimes not all sex-typical features develop in the same way because biology is very messy. Then you get intersex people who aren't either sex (or both or whatever) and you get transgender/ non-binary/ whatever-other-name-they might-use-it's-really-hard-to-keep-track people who are physiologically and neurologically incompatible.

IWhat's wrong with just sticking the word "most" in front of your definitions? All you really need to do is avoid doubling-down when an intersex or transgender person points out they're one of the few exceptions. And not that few either, if your "one in a thousand" births claim is correct (I don't know but that seems in the right ballpark to me) then that would mean there over 7 million people in the world who don't fit neatly into male or female, that's more than the population of Denmark!

Now do you reckon the character in the comic knew any of this stuff before making his statement. No... because he doesn't know shit about Biology.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Smithnikov said:
Redryhno said:
I can't speak for others, but my criteria for labelling someone alt right is simple.

-Do you frequent /pol/ for reasons other than research or irony?
-Do you use the words "dindu" or "cuck"(exceptions when referring to the actual sexual kink)
-Do you support authoritarian measures by declared right wing sources that you would rail on about from lefties
-Are there people oyu want to throw from helicopters
Never liked image boards, nope, I have no idea because I haven't seen an authoritarian measure that I could say is Left or Right, since it's sorta a different spectrum, the only thing that changes is the language and who they claim they want it for, and yes, because I have yet to meet a human that didn't want to throw someone else out of a helicopter at some point in their lives. The question you should be asking is from how far up and what they're landing on. Also I'm confused, since I don't think that helicopters fall under the second ammendment and I don't think Right-wingers have the helicopter market cornered...

Now hopefully you have some empathy for those us whoa re fed up with being called cuckolds, libtards, feminazis, and autists because f our opinions. Payback's a *****, ain't it?
And it's always about payback and sticking it to the man, ain't it? Those that deserve what happens and all name-calling being fine because they're "bullies", "nazis", "fascists", etc. Can't possibly take the "not playing that game" road can they? Always gotta get in the shitpile and somehow still play the moral highground card.

Hell, in some cases, them "libtards" actually start the shit and then run away crying when they get it back in equal measure. In a world halfway as decent as alot of people seem to believe themselves a part of, this bullshit game playing wouldn't exist in as many places.

Why am I called a white knight cuck because I disagree with people who call all women money grubbers and all women love rape?
I dunno, maybe it's who you defend and the way you defend them. Some of the highest profile rape cases in the last few years have ended up being mistaken identity caused by actual trauma to the point of never finding out what really happened, outright lies, about "starting a conversation", and just plain ol' 'I was drunk and woke up and realized I made a mistake, instead of owning up to it, I called rape'(again, note, I'm not saying all are, just enough to have made it a fucking joke).

This is doubly troubling because A) false rape allegations make it that much harder for real victims and real crimes to come forward. And B) false rape allegations do indeed ruin lives, but nobody wants to talk about the guys that either were acquitted or found innocent, because the former are still assumed to have done it, and the latter aren't really talked about at all after all the shit they get put through, especially at universities these days.

I've seen /r/incel and /r/physicalremoval, both of which have promoted violence as well. Yet somehow they get less hate than this.

In a perfect world, they would get equal, I mean, but I'm sorry, the woman/man behind Assigned Male is just screeching at me, not elaborating how they intend to throw me out of a helicopter if I'm guilty of "cultural Marxism".

So my outrage has a cap here.
Incel doesn't have a reddit anymore and only had 8k subs when I stumbled into it a long time ago, Physical_Removal, as I'm looking it up, as I've never heard of it, has less than 10k people subscribed, and less than a hundred browsing...I'm going to go with most people not ever hearing of either.

So I sorta have to ask, how much of it did you go looking for and how much honestly just stumbled into your helicopter base-jumping ass? Just wondering, it's the internet and all, you sorta have to make yourself known to exist to get most legitimate helicopter drop threats.

As for this in particular, I'm still just going to go with "publicity stunt" over the threats simply because I'm that cynical about anyone claiming online harassment that they claim to have felt scared enough by to move, but not to notify authorities. I mean, she ticks all the boxes for a good story, artist, internet presence, happily trans, Canadian.

Saelune said:
@Redrhyno: You say you are a centrist, but you do not say much else in that regard (though many self-labelled "Centrists" do similar to you). Adding "I dont support Trump but..." then proceeding to do things like...supporting Trump, kind of conflicts. You very much have expressed primarily right-wing views, and you havent challenged that notion here either.

I think you would find similar fault in me if I said I was a "centrist" rather than entrenchingly left-wing.
C'mon man, we've had this discussion before. If you want to be considered a part of a conversation, then you've got to actually participate the way everyone else does and the way you do whenever you actually want Senpai to notice you and hit the big "QUOTE" button on a post.

Until then, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say this, as I continually say anytime you show up with your @ button firing off: I don't support Trump, but that doesn't mean I support exactly how much shit gets thrown his way and how little of it is actually relevant either. Also, please, label me away, and pretend that I'm labeling you, do exactly what I'm talking about in my post.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
inu-kun said:
I thought about that but this just means that rather than answer in the strips that the strawmen conflates between sex and gender it answers that XX XY definition does not exist. Granted there are mutations, but they are statistically one in thousands of birth, thus no real reason to change the definition (otherwise saying "humans are born 2 arms/lungs/parts of the brain" is also wrong despite being extremely rare and just muddies the definition to "humans are born a blob of meat") and regardless is definitely not the point of the comics.
But saying "humans are born 2 arms/lungs/parts of the brain" could in no way dispute the obvious fact that a person born without two arms, two lungs or a whole brain is still a human. Just because one thing is more common or generally true can't discount the existence of the other less common instances. It's like using the observation "people are generally right handed" to try and prove left handed people don't exist.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
@Redrhyno: If it talks like a right-winger, and walks like a right-winger.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Saelune said:
@Redrhyno: If it talks like a right-winger, and walks like a right-winger.
I'm sorry sweetheart, but tell me your criteria EXACTLY for what constitutes a right-winger. Maybe we can get rid of this ridiculous misunderstanding(whether it be intentional or not). Maybe even use the private messaging function so that this thread doesn't get anymore derailed than it already is.

Or you can keep playing with your label maker and continue to contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation.