Have Dice, Will Travel: Zagreb

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I wouldnt mind playing with these people. One, because 3rd Edition is just plain better than 4th (the coolest villians are LE) and also I keep pushing my players to ask me to personalize the campaign with their character's histories. Was fun having my brother's character begin naked in a forest unconscious for seemingly no reason.

Eoeoz

Apr 28, 2009
Nice article, really interesting idea.

wooty said:
Best thing I found in Zagreb was the Tolkien Bar, a Lord of the Rings theme pub. Was a great little place to wind away a night (or 2), recommend the house ale too, superb stuff.
This sounds damn awesome, wish there was a LotR-themed bar in Manchester...

Nibish

Jan 18, 2011
Eoeoz said:

wooty said:
Best thing I found in Zagreb was the Tolkien Bar, a Lord of the Rings theme pub. Was a great little place to wind away a night (or 2), recommend the house ale too, superb stuff.
Hm, think that might have closed in 2008, but I'm not quite sure. Found a bit of news on a Croatian Tolkien Portal about it. But, something similar might have opened.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
benzooka said:
Major_Tom said:
Hey, I live there!
On a totally unrelated note, why do you have perkele!! as your title? :)
My sister loves Finland and we like to shout that randomly.
Nibish said:
Eoeoz said:

wooty said:
Hm, think that might have closed in 2008, but I'm not quite sure. Found a bit of news on a Croatian Tolkien Portal about it. But, something similar might have opened.
Actually there used to be two of them (unrelated but 100 meters apart) but both were closed. Now a third one is opened, it's a bit smaller than the first one but still very good.

disturbed_one

Jan 9, 2009
CoL0sS said:
Despite how hard we try to leave it behind us, there's always something to remind us of that fucking war. Still there's also a lot of beauty here as I'm sure Kieth saw in that national park (whichever they took him to).

Also I'm glad that there's people enjoying D&D, we need more of that. Makes me sad that most of the gaming and cultural events are exclusive to Zagreb.
You can find some groups in some other bigger cities, but Zagreb is by far the most advanced. The only thing it lacks is the sea view :D

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
That bit at the end, Mr. Baker. That's what makes you not simply great, but awesome.
Also: the references to places you've been before and the way you tie it all up in a greater story. It's an immense pleasure.
The only thing lacking for this to be perfect are more photos. Show us more from the people you've met, the places you've been to. If that's at all possible, of course.
And thanks for cracking me up with "Man, Don't Carry A Grudge". The game has the same name here in Bulgaria, but I never thought how this would sound in English.

JollyFather

Mar 18, 2011
Holly Molly!
Keith Baker was in Zagreb!?
And You didn't come to visit ME AND MY GROUP!?

Smart move. We're a crazy bunch. ;-)

Glad to hear You liked it here.

As far as dice go, I don't know what my (unknown) fellow gamers are talking about, I have plenty of dice and when I want more I just order from Paizo.com. No biggy.

And PDFs have greatly removed the problems with getting books (but even before that Amazon was my friend with acceptable prices and s&h).

"Man, Don't Carry A Grudge" = Frustration (but our version doesn't have enclosed dice).

You should have stayed longer. Maybe you could come during the summer and see some sea.

Shameless promotion: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/08/travel/la-tr-kvarner-20110102

Best regards and come back,

JF

Yvressian

Jul 19, 2008
Hmmm... As someone who lives in Zagreb for the last 23 years, I had a different experience. I remember I bought a D&D starter set in 2001 or so, and that came with all the dice you needed (d4-d20). And there were a couple of stores in Zagreb which sold gaming dice in various shapes, sizes and colours, as well as D&D books. Also, when I was in high school our D&D group was almost exclusively female, although the gamer culture worldwide often really is a bit childish in that respect :)