Have people grown bored with zero puncutaion

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I still like watching zero punctuation. But I was curious as to its declining popularity, so I used Google Trends to track the search interest of the term "Zero Punctuation" See for yourself. http://i.imgur.com/CFBoGrc.png

It's not a perfect measure of the show's popularity, but as far as I know the Escapist has never revealed their total view count for their videos.

giantgemclips

Mar 26, 2009
nope, Zero Punctuation is one of the "must watch things" of my week. I've seen every one.

I never post though. Just don't care to. I think the better way to see how well it's doing is if there is a way to see "views". I'm sure the website's owners know exactly how it's doing.

Sindaine

Dec 29, 2008
Constant vitriol gets boring after a while.

'Oh, new game? I wonder if likes it this t----no, of course not; he's going to hate it like always. I'm going to go watch a film instead...'

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
It's because Yahtzee became a heck of a lot more monotone-sounding in the past ~15-20 weeks and he doesn't really get worked-up about any game anymore, a lot of the emotion from his voice and words is gone. I don't blame the man, having to play+review a new game every single week and creating hundreds of slides to assemble into a video is a full-time job that could eventually turn anyone into a zombie, it's a miracle he's still going.

I think he's also cut out a lot of swearing and stopped throwing around words like "gay/******/etc", I expect that was probably thanks to some people crying about being offended like the over-sensitive twats they are.

And before any more people say "well the joke can't hold up forever", you're WRONG, because I have seen his first ~200 videos at least FIVE TIMES (yes, each and every single one) and still laughing my ass off! I haven't even played 80-90% of the stuff the man has reviewed and I still find myself giggling like a schoolgirl at his Final Fantasy XIII or Mercenaries 2 reviews, and countless others.

If "the joke" was really getting old then I wouldn't be so damn addicted to his old videos and keep losing interest when watching his newer stuff.

Am I weird?

The Sanctifier

Nov 26, 2012
I'm not really bored with his videos, more with the games he reviews. Too many FPS's and resident evils that I don't really have any interest in playing. Back in the earlier years of his reviews, at least a quarter of the games he looked at were something that I'd have played or would be interested in playing. Now I can't think of anything in the past six months that his reviewed that I'd be interested in playing

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I don't really watch anymore.
I used to die laughing at his reviews but I guess it just wore off after a while.
The only times I watch anymore is if he reviews a game that I own.
Just because.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Are there ZP episodes that aren't hosted on the Escapist I should check out?

The method of his reviews is a bit gimmicky which is why people may grow tired of it. I'd bring up AVGN and how his reviews aren't any less gimmicky in a different way but I don't find myself getting tired of him.

compaqdeskpro

Apr 15, 2013
I think that the fad aspect of his popularity died off, leaving him with only the true fans and not hordes of crazy internet users watching and commenting on his videos.

I watch it weekly and usually laugh my a$$ off, although I find I enjoy the videos more when they are about games I have already played, they are better as a parody than a review.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I haven't stopped watching, but I comment less. I occasionally go on ZP binges and I enjoy the show quite a bit. It's not as fresh as it once was, but it's more I have less to say than anything else.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
In short: No.

In long: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I find them enjoyable I just don't feel the need to tell the entire internet my opinion on each video every single time I watch one. I have better things to do; like start petty arguments on escapist forum threads, for example.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I still enjoy them, and personally aren't surprised that older ones have more comments. The first thing people do after discovering it is look at the whole series.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
For me personally I think he's stopped 'reviewing' games a while back. He's lowered the standard to the escapists audience. Whether this is a by-product of age or by design (being told by the escapist) is irrelevant. Compare the first 20 videos to the ones he's done lately. You'll see there is more 'review' than 'rant' or just jokes.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Still watch him every week, not much else needs to be said, while I can't speak for others I still find him entertaining as hell.
Also I first joined the Escapist and watched his Halo 3 review... wow it's been quite awhile.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Another day, another thread like this.

To be honest, what made it fun for me, still makes it fun for me today, the biggest change if I have to point out one is that games started to get more and more stale, which you can notice when there's little to say about the quality of them, but it's not like it's the show fault.

Also, more and more shows started to appear since ZP launch, and more of them are more focused in deeper themes, like GameOverthinker and Big Picture from Movie Bob, Extra Credits, and even the Jimquisition itself, while ZP is mostly for entertainment. Not to mention the shows on YT that are decent, so to me, it seems its like there are more flavors to taste, which can make ZP feel a bit less unique than back in 2007.

I still think the show is good, But one thing I stopped doing in regards to ZP, was to read the related forum thread, they're getting pretty boring lately, barely anything worth to debate in my opinion.

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Totalbiscuit has kind of replaced Yahtzee for me. Both do the same things, but TB actually shows me the games, and really goes into why he liked/didn't like it. I still watch ZP, but I don't really care anymore.
Same here, I still watch most of ZP video's but i don?t look forward to them anymore. I?ve lost my passion for him, and I?ve been watching him since he came to the escapist.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I will wait till I'm in the mood & catch up on all the episodes I've missed in one go. As I do with Adventure Time & Regular Show.

When I actually watch them, they're very enjoyable & funny.

But I don't watch them regularly because stylistically, every episode is the same flavor of vanilla.

I like vanilla, but I don't want it every day.

So I'd say the best way to watch them is in bulk.