Have you ever been accused of being racist?

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Milk said:
MorganL4 said:
wulf3n said:
MorganL4 said:
First off, whoever invented the term "reverse racism" was a moron...... what that term should mean is people who are racist against racists...... but for that to even work "racist" would need to be a race, and it is not.

If someone is racist against blonde haired blue eyed white people they are still just racist, no reverse necessary.

On topic though..... No never, however I did break up with someone because of racist comments she made.
I always thought the term "Reverse Racism" referred to extreme niceness/politeness towards someone of another race, based solely on their race.
Then you and Fox News are at odds with one another, because they take it to mean racism against white people.
Wait, wait, wait.

First you say that reverse racism is racism against racists. Then you add that it is racism against white people. Put one and two together and that means you think all white people are racist ergo making you racist.
Lol, no, what I said is that it is a non-nonsensical term, as when looked at from a grammatical stance, should mean racist towards racists, but as "racist" is not a race it doesn't work. I then went on to explain that Fox News thinks it means "racism against white people" because they seem to have gotten it into their heads that you can only BE racist if you are white.... Which is stupid on so many levels I can't even begin to try to cover them all.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Yes, but I don't think ever seriously. Maybe by Internet Peoples, but I can't remember what was said to me yesterday by random internet schmucks. But I make the occasional racist joke that is acknowledged, not terribly bothered about it.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
One of my Jewish friends got mad at me one time because I made a seemingly distasteful joke.
You know, because it's my fault that he'd never seen the Jew Scouts episode of South Park.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
Probably jokingly at some stage.
Generally, I think if you're not white, you can get away with racism. But if it's directed at blacks or Jews then no one can get away with it. Just observations I guess.

Xukog

May 21, 2011
I most likely have been,but can't remember it because it was either; the kind of person that throws the word around anytime someone of a different race argues with them,or from my school days when I would be called racist names and respond in kind.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Considering how casually I use words like "******" and joke around this topic I'm surprised I haven't been more

Rol3x

Jan 24, 2008
I saw a a woman stealing from the store I worked in, I approached and did what we are sposed to do.
I asking if she would be paying for the item she stashed into her purse being helpful and respectful, I proceeded to get a tirade or verbal abuse half in english half in arabic telling me I am a racist pig etc etc, I called in the manager for help considering I don't take that kind of abuse well (I am inclined to retaliate spitefully if it gets to a point)
Eventually she pretended she didn't know how it got there, returned the item ranting about some racist conspiracy and our stores role in it.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Happened to me once or twice, I think it happens to everyone.

To me the one that sticks out the most was once a few years ago, I was sitting in the back of a car with some friends coming back from seeing a night out in a neighbouring town, we were heading out of town, about to hit the highway and the guy in the front seat said "man, look at him go!" and I glanced out the window and saw a dude moving pretty damn fast, so I cracked "must of nicked something".

There were gasps and looks, and an accusation of "you're only saying that because he's BLACK"... to which I replied "He's black? how can you tell?" Because I couldn't, he was decked out in a white jogging outfit with the hood pulled up over his head...

Yeah I didn't spend much time with those people after that.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
All these stories made me remember something from a few weeks ago, I went out to dinner with my grandmother for her birthday and one of our family friends was there. Now let me tell you some things about him. He's almost 80, he left school when he was 13, he worked his entire life in blue collar jobs, he is one of the friendliest people you could ever meet, and was an outspoken union activist for over 40 years. He once organised a boycott that almost drove a local pub out of business because they fired a bartender when they found out he was *gasp* gay (this was the 70s), he was instrumental in forcing the local meat-works to pay equal wages based on job rather then gender or ethnicity (it was pretty bad at the time, women getting maybe half of the pay of men despite doing the same job, and god help you if you were, what they called at the time, a 'New Australian') ...

Yet some of the things that come out of his mouth sound incredibly racist. But they aren't. When he refers to what we'd call an African American he calls them a 'Negro', because when he grew up that was the most politically correct thing to call a person of African American heritage. He calls Australian Aboriginals 'black fallahs' without a trace of malice, because to him that's a term of respect, hell he calls Obama a 'half-caste' without blinking. About the only ethnicity he has a problem with are the Japanese and Germans, which is sort of understandable because he lost five male relatives in WWII (brother, 3 cousins, and an Uncle), and even then he'd never dream of saying anything hurtful to them.

So there we were eating dinner at the local Chinese restaurant and the conversation turned to boxing, as it always does with him around, and he started talking about... err... I forget, some boxer from the 30s, and made some comment, loudly, about how 'he was a big Negro' and the people at the next table snap their heads around and gave him the dirtiest look. I felt like sinking into the floor.

It just goes to show how stupid most talk about 'racists' is, it should be about intent not words.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
Of course I have been called racist. I don't think it has ever been said directly to me but if you are white you have been accused of racism. In America at least, the common belief among non-white people, and even many whites themselves, is that all white people are racist, no exceptions. If anyone here is white and tries to claim they aren't racist, it is just because you don't realize you are racist.

Now don't go thinking you can change either. If you could change then not all white people would automatically be racist. The only thing you can do is send an envelope full of cash to the following address. It's like buying indulgences from the church.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Only one time. When I was first starting college, I was taking classes at the local community college. I made the mistake of befriending a fellow student who turned out to be pretty rude, demanding, and manipulative. I was pretty naive at the time, though, since I had never really known anyone like that before.

Anyway, we were having lunch one day, and she started telling me about how "Non-white children like 'Asians' and 'blacks' always look so wise and mature beyond their years. But when you look into the eyes of a caucasian kid, it's like staring into a dumb, empty void." She was like "so true, rite?", and I was kinda shocked she would say something like that so casually, and then expect me to just totally agree with her like it was common knowledge. A little later, she was complaining about something with the lunch, don't entirely know what, maybe it was the taste of the hamburger, and I remember just blurting out "it's because you're black".

She didn't see the irony in my intensely passive aggressive comment and called me racist. :C We weren't friends for much longer, I think that whole thing ended around the time she insulted my mom's dog to my mom's face, right after I introduced them.

Torque2100

Nov 20, 2008
The only time I've ever been called a "RRRRAAAACCIST!" was when I half-jokingly said I would like to name my hypothetical son "Robert Edward Lee [My Last Name]" if I ever had one. Robert E. Lee is a person from history whom I admire greatly. Not the least because he had the wisdom to realize that a cause was lost and that no number of innocent lives thrown into the meatgrinder was going to save it. I think this is a lesson a lot of people today could stand to learn, especially when I see a car that still has a faded "Romney/Ryan" bumper sticker.

However, I was branded a racist for this statement and essentially drummed out of that particular circle of friends.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
I find it incredibly disturbing that most of these instances come from people who either misunderstood what was being said at the time, or as an attack from incredibly, rude or stupid people.

MetaKnight670

Apr 3, 2011
All the time, but mostly in jest. The most recent one was when I was playing Red Dead and decided to go on a spree of kidnappings and things like that. My friend came over and saw that the guy I had on the back of the horse at the time was darker skinned. Therefore he called me a racist and we both had a good laugh, especially since nobody is really as racist as him sometimes.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Yes, by my own race no less. I live in a part of Texas where most everyone speaks spanish. Most of the younger generations are bilingual but the older generations who have lived here their whole lives only speak spanish.

I refuse to put THAT much effort into learning spanish to speak it fluently. I know enough to understand it for the most part but speaking it I just cannot do. And because I feel that people who live in the United States should learn english, I'm apparently 'racist'. Mind you, I'm half mexican and white. I love my people but the language, if we're living in the USA can go fuck itself.

If I ever go to Mexico I don't expect them to cater to me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I was born white, male and, on the east coast of the US; of course I've been accused of being racist before. I don't take it too seriously though and generally just quip about hating humanity as a collective as opposed to basing it off of skin tone.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I've been accused of antisemitism before, which depending on how pedantic you are is basically the same thing.

Apparently 'Having issues with Israeli foreign policy attitudes and application of military force' equates to 'Vile prejudice against Jews based on their faith/culture' to many otherwise rational people. It worries me.