Have you ever been brainwashed by a video game?

r4zgul

Jul 4, 2012
I mean, if so many games are creating and enforcing insidious stereotypes about women that it has been made into such a large issue these past few weeks; then surely we've been able to, in retrospect, see how games like Mario and Soul Calibur have made us look down upon women as objects of lust, in need of protection. Or am I just trying to get offended to justify the fact that my college degree has no market value?

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I don't think I have, but those guys who go around during Halloween tossing pumpkins into the street make me wonder if they've played too much Zelda.

In all seriousness, I think too much is being made of it.

Then again, reading comments on YouTube does make it clear that there is a problem. If it were game-related though, you'd expect to see more of that here.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
No game has ever made me look at a woman as an object of lust....

Their breasts do that well enough.

r4zgul

Jul 4, 2012
McMullen said:
Then again, reading comments on YouTube does make it clear that there is a problem. If it were game-related though, you'd expect to see more of that here.
Meh, the comments on Youtube are another example of how vile and disgusting the Youtube community is, especially during the summer... curious...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
After playing Bulletstorm for the third time I totally raped a guy.

True story don'cha know.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
After playing Bulletstorm for the third time I totally raped a guy.
Did you rape a guy for the third time, or did you play Bulletstorm for the third time? Give us the details, man, don't hold out on us.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
r4zgul said:
see how games like Mario and Soul Calibur have made us look down upon women as objects of lust, in need of protection.
I would be surprised If anyone came away from those games thinking that. In Mario the princess is just a plot point in Soul Calibur some of them have large breasts and tight clothes neither have made me look at women differently in real life.

Neither do I go around suspiciously looking at turtles incase they attack me or think that I could take a solid hit from a sword and still get up.

To brainwash someone takes a concerted effort and it helps to keep them in an insulated environment basically you have to get them to self perpetuate to themselves what you want them to, I dont think games have such a focus or such a sinister agenda they are to diverse for this. I suppose one game could brainwash you though if you sat alone and played it for years without any outside contact or point of reference.

r4zgul

Jul 4, 2012
dimensional said:
r4zgul said:
see how games like Mario and Soul Calibur have made us look down upon women as objects of lust, in need of protection.
To brainwash someone takes a concerted effort and it helps to keep them in an insulated environment basically you have to get them to self perpetuate to themselves what you want them to, I dont think games have such a focus or such a sinister agenda they are to diverse for this. I suppose one game could brainwash you though if you sat alone and played it for years without any outside contact or point of reference.
My point really was a jab at the constant accusations of how 'X' is a "bad representation of 'Y' that enforces negative stereotypes", because you only find or care if you look for it, so that you can care.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Rawne1980 said:

That made me laugh. Now, I'm a horrible person. :\

In all seriousness, Well, I do hate Zombies. >_> And I've certainly played enough games where I paint the walls with their brains n' guts.

This needs to stop, equal rights for all men, even dead ones!
[HEADING=1]Viva los muertos! [/HEADING]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Rawne1980 said:

You win the thread forever.

OT:No, I don't BUY CALL OF DUTY:BLACK OPS 2 COMING OUT LATER THIS YEAR-CRITICS ARE CALLING IT THE BEST CALL OF DUTY SO FAR think so.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
r4zgul said:
dimensional said:
r4zgul said:
My point really was a jab at the constant accusations of how 'X' is a "bad representation of 'Y' that enforces negative stereotypes", because you only find or care if you look for it, so that you can care.
Ok I would question though whether games are enforcing any of these negative stereotypes (do we get positive stereotypes) I would just say they are a reflection of a want people have inside i.e they want to play the hero and they want women with large breasts and tight clothes dosent mean they believe all woman are weak and need protecting or that they are all need to dress like in soul calibur most people are more well rounded than that and if they are not I think the problem lies somewhere else not in a game.

Its all down to perception though ultimately particularly in determining whats a positive and negative stereotype take Bayonetta some see her as a pathetic overly sexualised figure with no redeeming features others see her as a powerful and confident character.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't believe so, however...

If you were brainwashed, isn't part of being brainwashed not realizing that you've been brainwashed? It'd be a pretty bad job of it if the brainwashed victim realized it. I'm sure that members in cults don't think they've been brainwashed.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Rawne1980 said:

He speaks the truth.

OT: Maybe this has something to do with me being female and all, but... no, it hasn't. I've never encountered a game with that message in it so strong that I've seen my own gender as weak or helpless or anything of the like. To be honest, a lot of girls put out that kind of vibe all of their own free will even if they've never had men look at them that way, it's just the way some are. I'm sure there are a percentage of men the same way too...

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
They do brainwash me into believing that the world is going to end in any moment, and that ANYONE ELSE in the entire world is just too useless and pathetic to do something about it, with them being stuck into a cycle of walking towards a wall or repeating the same lines.

So logically, i am the ONLY ONE who can stop this madness and for that i must keep looking in their houses for valuable items FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Yes. I grew up playing Ocarina of Time. First day of school, I grabbed a girl I liked and carried her around on my head before dropping her on a pressure-sensitive switch.

Also, I only let my cats kill caterpillars because I want to increase their speed.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
I don't think I've ever been brainwashed by a videogame. Would you kindly pass the salt?