have you ever changed your opinion?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
apparently we are hard wired to defend our opinions even if we are overwhelmingly convinced we are wrong so easy question:
have you ever been in the middle of a debate and suddenly realized you were wrong and admitted so to the other person?

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Yes, numerous times.
Most of my arguments are conjecture, and how I perceive things will turn out, of course I use some sources and such to back up my arguments but at the end of the day I'm writing on a forum, not a thesis, so I won't be spending hours correcting, proof-reading, backing up sources, checking for consistency and all that jazz.

Being wrong is inevitable, I just admit to it and then run away quietly for a few days before posting again.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Revnak said:
Yes. A number of times. It really isn't that hard.
Hear hear. Most often I change my opinion while typing something up. I realize that what I'm saying doesn't make as much sense as I thought it to be.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
Yes, I am not one to fool myself into thinking I am right in the face of more correct evidence/ideals that contradict my own.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Yep.
I was religious, and debated many a person on why they were going to hell or whatever.

But, now, I'm NOT religious and I feel REALLY silly and bad and stupid for all those times I raged.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Yep. I no longer think that PC gamers are being petty when they complain about getting shitty ports.

My religious beliefs are also constantly changing as I learn more about myself and the world. I find it to be a healthy and entertaining outlook on spirituality.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes a few times althought it usually something I defend in had fail (me and my mate came up our own theories in what was going on in the last season of LOST) or if the other opposing person had make a really good statement/ comment in the debate/ arguement that I cannot see the flaw or opposing opinions against it (someone convince me that those MLP G1 fans aren't just hated toward brony but rather they were passionate toward G1 while brony are like hipster in a way).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
somtimes I wonder if I lack conviction in my opinions....like I'm too influenced by that others think (like when I playes ME3 for the firt time I wa blown away but I could get "what would the escapist think?" out of my head..thanks guys)

I have however changed my mind ins ome regards..that the things I like are not perfect and if somone bashes them THATS OK

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
SimpleThunda said:
Yes,

BUT,

On online-forums like these, I find it hard to be convinced of someone else's viewpoint.
I can't think of examples where I have changed my opinion whilst on the escapist forums, but I have in real life discussions.
that there is the point i am trying to make. i don't want to turn this into a gun or religion debate or whatever but what are the chances we will ever hear someone say something like "good point. the statistics are there i change my mind"

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
When debating historiography/theses/methodology; quite often.
When discussing politics/religion: never.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
I guess so, i went from being an Atheist to an Agnostic for various reasons which i won't discuss here don't want it descending into religeon/gun thread etc.

But yeah i can change my opinion on things but i come to my own conclusions it's rare for me to change my opinion mid conversation, i have far to much pride/stubbornness to back down from an argument even :p

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Yes, sometimes I'm just wrong, if I'm given indisputable evidence of that, of course I'll change my opinion.

Sometimes I'll feel really strongly about something and it becomes much more difficult to sway me, but even then, it's still possible. Especially on topics where I'm far from an expert (politics). It might take some time though.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
Nope, never. My opinions have been unchanging since birth.

Hahaha. Seriously, though, yes - I've actually found that many of my best and most important experiences have happened from discovering that my opinions were wrong. Most notable example was when I used to be a colossal homophobe (and "phobe" really is the right word there), racist and bigot to discovering that I was gay. Huge turnaround on a lot of issues, I'm a lot less judgemental, a lot more accepting, and I would say, a far better person.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
Nope.
I am always right even when I am wrong because when I'm wrong I make it right.
Welcome to my mind.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I don't really see how people couldn't have changed their opinion on something at least once.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
yes I do When I receive new data I may change my view But some things I will never change on

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Yes, whenever someone convinces me I'm wrong I change my opinion.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
All the fucking time. We live and learn.
it's actually pretty easy, if you consider that what makes you form a certain opinion is only shaped by your (very limited) own experiences, so the second somebody can show you an aspect you didn't know before, you're pretty much bound to revise your opinion.