Have you ever felt bad for winning in a competitive game?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Any game where you play against another person our a group of people.

I was playing Ultra street fighter 4 today and i felt terrible for beating my opponent. Now i'm not a good USF4 player in the slightest. Actually i'm pretty terrible. But today i managed to get a double perfect against this guy i was playing online. The match was gouken( me) vs Hugo. The thing is, gouken is a defensive character, so i'm suppose to make my opponent work to get in, but once he does i'm all kinds of fucked. Hugo is a grappler character with a HUGE hitbox, but once he is in, he can pretty much demolish you. With ground grabs and anti air grabs he is a force to reckon with.

He never got the chance. I stand full screen from him throwing diagonal fireballs. It's so lame, i felt bad, but it's the way that perticular match is supposed to be played. He walked/jumped in to every single fireball i threw. Hugo is so big that if i throw a diagonal fireball, it will hit him is he is standing fullscreen away. That's basically what i did the entire match, because if i go in ( play agressive) i's get snuffed out.

Problem is, it didn't feel like a win to me. I felt so bad , i sent an apology message after the fight.

So escapist have you ever felt bad for winning at a competitive game?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
There have been several matches of both Dawn of War and Company of Heroes in which I felt bad for my opponent, especially when I used cheese tactics. Notably, pretty much every match I played as Chaos in DoW 2 and used the hilariously imbalanced combination of Chaos Lord, 3x Chaos Space Marines with Mark of Tzeench and 2x Cultists with Grenade Launchers, one of which used its' chant to make my entire force invisible. Followed by a quick Bloodletter, it was such a cheese tactic that it never really felt like a win. The other times were with Pio Spams and triple Recon Squads against Panzer Elite in Company of Heroes

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
A win is a win, i've ever felt bad about it.

All this "it's the taking part that counts" is for people that don't win.

I don't play competitive games to "take part" I play to stomp whoever i'm playing against into digital dirt.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
There has been a few games on Mount & Blade: Warband where I've been on the side that just utterly and brutally destroys the opposition in the battle mode. So yeah, I've felt bad about that when it's occurred. But I have been on the receiving end of that situation as well, and it ain't fucking pleasant.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
when I skanked people on Soul Calibur 4 online when I was a lad I felt bad. Taki jump K>K>K to ringout... sorry bro haha.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Not really I have felt unsatisfied about winning though especially if its due to a crappy reason like lag or the opponent is obviously far below me in skill (dosent happen often) losing to lag is even worse but with any lag its lose lose really.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'm so bad at most multiplayer games that any win that I get, I enjoy a nice sense of smug self satisfaction before jumping into the next game to have my ass kicked by someone who is so much better than me.

Though there was that one session of Modern Warfare 2 that somehow I was the best person in that lobby and after a while I did feel a little bad that I kept winning. Don't worry though folks, those people got sick of it too and left allowing people much better than me to enter the lobby and kick my arse.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Sometimes yeah, like whenever I play a fighting game against someone who is obviously new. I know what that's like, those who say that "every loss teaches you something" are mistaken. Only losses where you understood what killed you and how it was done teaches you. Some BlazBlue games are over in like 20 seconds with some Jin playing cockend doing this 80% combo throw reset or whatever.

I have to respect anyone who tries to get into a fighting game, it can be such an interesting and rewarding genre to get into but it can often be toxic and unfriendly from Day One, not even counting the mechanical effort it takes to use a character effectively. Just play UMVC3 online for a few matches, the salt is fucking ludicrous.

This is why I think Persona 4 Arena has the best set of mechanics in a fighting game. It allows new people to actually concentrate on learning their character properly over only learning that character's combos. Combos mean nothing if you have no idea how to get into them naturally in a game.

Except for Naoto. Naoto effortlessly hitconfirms everything into Double Fang > Gun combos.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The only time I felt bad was winning duels in Borderlands against my girlfriend. She doesn't take defeat very well. But I was going for those XP challenges, you see...

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
I beat this kid in arena in hearthstone the other day. The way he was playing he clearly just picked up the game because none of his plays made any sense. Felt a little sorry for him and hope I didn't ruin the game for him. But I wasn't exactly going to give him a game he himself was giving away.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Me and my ex-girlfriend used to play "strip Halo 3". Every time you got killed, you had to take off an item of clothing.

I did used to be rather good at Halo 3 back in the day, so I guess some times I felt bad about winning....yet aroused at the same time.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
A few times at the pvp aspect of Guild Wars 2 since I sometime have the habit of team switching (winning team get more points).

I also feel bad when the team I'm on pretty much dominate the other team as in when the points reach 100 for us and 0 for them. At that point it's pretty much become swamp camping (we attack them right outside of their base) because they are bad to the point they didn't capture the areas to start the capping runs between the two teams.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
The Wykydtron said:
This is why I think Persona 4 Arena has the best set of mechanics in a fighting game. It allows new people to actually concentrate on learning their character properly over only learning that character's combos. Combos mean nothing if you have no idea how to get into them naturally in a game.

Except for Naoto. Naoto effortlessly hitconfirms everything into Double Fang > Gun combos.
OT and dont want to derail the thread but Under Night In Birth (UNIEL) is definitely worth a look if you like what P4A offered feels like a cross between something like SF4,Blazblue and king of Fighters XIII really. It has a similar low entry point as P4A where anyone can jump in and do flashy premade combos there are also universal mechanics that are different and help standardise the cast without making them samey like what KOFXIII also did but as with any fighter worth its salt the high level play is definitely there and plenty to learn if you want to dig deeper it even has its own variation of the burst mechanic. Theres not really a comeback feature though it really does favour good play so if you block correctly you are rewarded if you open an opponent up you are rewarded getting hit or being blocked all day long makes you weaker. An understanding of the games mechanics and basic fundamentals is much more important than your ability to do combos here (but like P4A combos are here and are a part of higher play).

Havent gone online yet but apparently its strong shame the games only in Japan on PS3 (and arcades).

I did just remember a win I kinda felt bad for well not bad sorry really and that was beating some high ranked player on the PS3 at DOA5 I was just incredibly lucky I picked Zack and have no idea how to play him (only play Ayane) so was bashing buttons and I swear to god it couldnt have gone any better every move that came out was perfect for every situation and to top it all off I even finished them with the Zack beam (crappy taunt move) I didnt mean to activate it but I did and it killed them props to the opponent though I didnt get any salty message. Wish I saved that match I had a double perfect and it bumped my grade up 2 ranks on its own for that one lucky as hell win.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
This happens to me and sport games a lot of the times.

Unlike other multi-player games I play, sport games are always one on one so I know that I'm not rocking a team; I'm rocking one poor son of a *****. Generally, unless they're being a dick (like constantly slide-tackling my players or screaming swears at me), I will ease my foot off the gas if it starts to really get out of hand. I won't let them score but I'll take shots outside the 18 and whatnot (unlikely goals) to try to keep the game from becoming a huge blowout.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Yeah i tend to feel a bit shitty if I easily mopped someone or a team because when I play a competitive game I want it to be a bit of a challenge, if the other person is easily beaten without much of a fight I'd feel bad because there was no challenge and well he/she got floored.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
Nope, you play to win or don't play at all. I play to destroy my opponents. If I don't get scores like in this game of UT3 I destroyed in something is terribly wrong and the game is not rewarding me enough for being good in the first place. Getting good has to have it's benefits, thousands of hours wasted if this isn't the case.

[http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/justin_bennett2/media/2014-08-21_00002_zps45d2e64d.jpg.html]

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'm not a very competitive gamer, so I do feel a little bad on the occasion, but mostly when I am playing with my friends. We all play for fun, and when they're losing to me time after time in Halo, Mario Kart, or Smash Bros., it starts to not be fun for them. And honestly, when I'm destroying them, it isn't fun for me either. If I pull my punches, they can tell, and will start to get even more frustrated with me, and then I'm also bored because I'm not being challenged. Hell, they stopped playing Pokemon with me entirely.

It's fun to trounce a few newbies sometimes, but it gets tired quick. Getting beaten on by veterans who specialize in a particular game is also not fun. The best rush for me comes from playing against others of my skill level or slightly above it, where I'm running neck and neck with them the whole time.