Have you ever fought with a friend to the point you never talked to them again?

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
I've had a few fights like that. Sometimes I start it, sometimes they do. But I've had those fights that have broken friendships. Misunderstandings that have made me feel angry and upset. Some more serious than others. I once had to go to hospital over a fight because a friend of mine didn't like how I was the de-facto leader of our little circle of friends. Got a nice big hit in the jaw. In his defence he is literally a sea of mental and social disorders. I couldn't list everything he has if you asked me.

So I'm just curious. How many fights with friends have you been into? How did they end? What were they about?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
It happened to me once, which for some reason got me alienated from a group of 5 friends in the end. Admittedly it was mostly my fault that we got into the fight. Though it was from their side that they suddenly decided they never wanted to talk to me again.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well my former friends from High School were kind of liked that. We fought and make up alot of times althought we never talked again cos of a fight.

It was simply we went to different universities (they went to one uni and I went to another in the same city) and along the way I had made some new friends at uni. I had a good time being with them to the point that I started to realised what ture friendship means to me (they appreciate me just the way I am unlike my former friends). This in turn made me infurious at my former friends and I chose to cut ties with them (denine friend request on Facebook and never gave them my new phone number thus they got no way to contact me.)

As for the cause of the arguement, hopnestly I forgot the specific deals other than they always make fun of me alot and I wanted them to stop it (they need laughter like if it was oxygen to them) and they were intolerable at my preferences (I was a Nintendo fanboy, they were Playstation fans, they were into rock and heavy metal, I was into dance etc). I do somewhat remember that I did blame alot to one of my friends for the casue of some shit but meh, I don't care at this point since I was miserable just being around them.

Before you asked why I even consider them as friend back then I guess it was only because they were the only one who "take me in" when it come to those hanging out groups in High School (I was one of the very few Chinese people in High School).

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Not that I can recall.

I very very rarely fought with my friends in secondary school and we usually got over whatever it was pretty quickly. I actually can't recall the last time I fought with a friend at all. I've fallen out of touch with people, sure, I've failed to put in the effort to keep friendships alive with more people than I'd like. We're still on good terms and we'll have a nice conversation whenever we randomly bump into each other but I've lost a lot of active friendships.

I have made a lot of new ones too, this isn't a sob story. It's just odd how drastically your circle of friends can change between 18 and 23.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The moral of this post is that I don't think I have lost a friend forever because of a fight.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Short story: I had a friend. Let's call her "S." S had a Christian pal that I got in an argument with. I vented to S about it. Thing was, S had told me she didn't want to be dragged into it. She and I started arguing. It got pretty darn bad. Eventually we quit talking.

Half a year later she contacted me to apologize. I apologized too, and now we're pals again.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Not a fight exactly but some things were said that could not be forgotten. A few years ago one of my sisters finaly had the courage to tell our parents and people in general that she was gay after almost 2 years of struggling with it, myself and my other sister, her twin being the only ones who knew at that point.

Once a friend of mine, someone I had know for 10 years found out he said some very homophobic things. Not being a woman or gay the stuff he said was not what hurt me. What did hurt me was that someone, especially someone I considered a friend and who knew her, could say such bad things about my sister. My sisters are easily the 2 best people I know and to here someone insult her the way he did just made me so angry that I could not forgive him.

We did not fight, I did not even raise my voice I simply told him that he should loose my number. Soon afterwards he got a job in another part of the country and moved away.

I do sometimes wonder if I should have made more of an effot to talk to him, Looking back I think that the things he said were said more out of ignorence than hate but I was just so angry.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
The friends I've held onto are so close as to pretty much be family, so it really would take something drastic. When we were younger we sort of ostracised a couple of people though, because they were immense bellends. I'm pretty good at getting a sense for total bastards though, the people I just stopped talking to were people I only ever did because my other friends hadn't seen it yet.

One guy in particular was a lying, stealing, manipulative arsehole and I made the foolish (drunken) mistake of getting involved with his ex-girlfriend in the midst of their messy breakup... Ah, teenage problems. I did feel really guilty about the whole thing, but he pretended to be cool about it whilst trying to manipulate people into taking sides. Thankfully all my other friends are calm, sensible, rational people and took no such bullshit- In fact it bought me a bit of sympathy and people forgot my own balls-up much sooner for it. We had a massive argument, everyone else had enough his bullshit (he had a habit of casually nicking people's shit and lying a lot), and he moved away.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Yes, but over a longer time. It was more of a slow but inevitable drift apart through increasingly trenchant differences in opinion. I'm not sure who really takes the majority of the blame for that. I could easily say it was them, but I do still think about what I was doing wrong for such a happy time to come to an end. I've accepted a part of the fault for the sadness.

I don't talk to them any more, but I do think of them. The words we exchanged are something I can remember and learn from. Whether they'd like to admit it or not, they've radically changed the person I am, so it wasn't an entirely bad time.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Short version-- yes though we did eventually re-establish contact due to some extreme circumstances.
After we re-established contact he said he really wanted to get together, but then he stood me up for the arranged meeting.
Texted a couple of times since then but he hasn't replied to my last one (as of a month ago).

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
A lot of my childhood friends ended up this way. One of them was something that I was very happy to cut ties. During our childhood, he often started trouble. Being a bigger kid than he was, he often turn to me for protection. Problem is, he was a bully who enjoyed poking the other kids and I was his bodyguard who didn't know about it. During middle school, he started being obsessed for popularity. He'd do anything in order to succeed. Sadly, things got a bad turn in high school.

I had an accident that, according to a lot of people, changed my personality. I was more quiet and less tempted to react violently to certain factors. Except during high school, that didn't helped me. My friend's cousin started to bully me. When I confronted my friend over this, he pretty much tried to ignore me or try to convince me that I've earned it. Ever since then, we never talked more than a few sentences.

Yeah, I'm not proud of those episodes. I'm more glad that they are over and I know to back out of manipulative people.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, I had a friend who I didn't talk to anymore after a blowout we had. It was actually a fairly minor thing, but he overreacted, and didn't feel he was in the wrong. I kept waiting for him to apologize, but he wouldn't, because he didn't think he'd done anything wrong (which he had). I finally decided to extend the hand of friendship first, and we cleared it up, I thought. A day or two later, he texted me in a game to tell me that he was still too "filled with rage" at me to speak to me. Which is funny, considering he was the one at fault. But whatever, that was over a decade ago. I don't miss having him in my life at all. He was an arrogant ass, and still is I'm sure.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Hah. No.

I think arguments are a symptom of a bad friendship, and if it takes one good argument for you to shut someone you originally called a friend out... then that's not really a friend, is it?

I'm not saying this like I had a friend, argued with them, cut ties with them, and considered them as a never-friend.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've had one friend who we argued frequently and to quit a severe degree. He was a right wing, Christian, semi-racist. I the opposite of all that. The first was when he hinted heavily that blacks and whites shouldn't date. We didn't talk for a month. Next was kinda my own stubbornness. He said he knew God existed and I said there was no way he could know. That went on for about a week.

We actually just fell out of touch. He switched schools and we stopped talking. He worked with me for a few days at my old job, that was kinda nice. It's just funny that me and him used to be best friends hanging out every weekend, to barely even talking.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
No, I am on good terms with all my friends. Even though I hang out with them and study together, we are not that close to the point we share our personal lives. I had one friend who seems to clash with my views and opinions but to be honest she is the closest friend I had every have since we both respect our opinions and we learn from one another.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
I had one that I'm just gonna refer to as GrGi. I had known him for most of elementary school. Then in the sixth grade he became...clingy. It got to a point where I had just had enough and to make a long story short we fought...brutally. I mean no-bars-hold brutal. Needless to say I left that school and cut all ties. He tried to contact me once but I wanted to hear none of it, still have the scars.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I only had one fight that was that bad. It was back in elementary school, and I don't even remember what it was about. A good friend of mine lived just around the block and he and I were always hanging out. He had no siblings, so he was rather lonely. Anyway, we got in a fight once over...something. I don't even remember what it was. But we stopped talking for over a year, maybe longer. I can't remember. But one day, he called me up out of the blue and asked if I wanted to come over. I said yes and we just went right back to being friends like nothing had happened.

We've drifted far apart since then, but I always remember that because I thought it was so strange for him to call me up like that after so long, but I was glad to have him back.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
There was no fight exactly, but I did break contact with my close friend of seven years because he took up smoking marijuana. It was shortly before I applied for a top secret clearance, which requires an extremely, extremely thorough background check. To the point where each costs $40,000 to perform. Associating with people who use schedule 1 drugs quickly invalidates you. So, I chose career over him. Actually, now that I think about it, I guess he chose drugs over me, considering I warmed him about such behavior in the past.