Have you ever gotten a game into an unwinnable/unfinishable state?

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Lego Star Wars 2 for the Nintendo DS.

My god. The bugs and glitches made completing the game impossible, and there were times where my character fell out of the goddamn map. Plus, the last level of the game was completely inaccessible.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
MurderousToaster said:
I also found I couldn't complete Dragon Age: Origins on anything other than a combat-oriented character, which is one of the reasons I dislike that game. I found this out in that goddamn Mage Tower segment or whatever it was called (the part where you're separated from your entire party).
Uh same, I gave up on that game about 10 hous in, its just stupidly padded and difficult, I might go revisit it somewhen though.
I've just been replaying Dragon Age on PC (I played all of it on a friend's console the first time.) I've found it DRASTICALLY easier on a PC when you can properly control th entire party at once. What were you playing it on? I was unable to do it on aynthing other than easy on console, and even then it was a challenge. On PC higher difficulties become an option.

Alduin Silas

Aug 3, 2011
At first, the Jelly King was like that in Spiral Knights, a constantly regenerating amorphous blob that spawned hundreds of mini versions all out for my blood, so you can imagine what happened when I turned up with a piercing weapon that actually did less damage per attack than what the jk could heal.Face=wall repeatedly.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
An x-men game on ps2 had a count down section where I had to leave the facility before the timer ran out and the facility blew up. I saved the game at a point where I couldn't possibly leave and when the timer ran out, it was just a game over screen with the usual options of 'load previous save' and 'go back to title'. I couldn't possibly progress pass that point so I just stopped playing rather than restart the whole game over again.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
I ALMOST broke my Oblivion game (thank god for a backup save, but i lost 5 hours.)

At the end of the game, in the Imperial City invasion, I saved at a very, very, VERY bad time. Every time I loaded it, half a second later -
"Martin has died. All hope is now lost."
There was no way to save him at all, coz I had somehow saved it WHILE HE WAS DYING.

So, lesson learned here, guys - Always. Always. ALWAYS make backup saves.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
Alduin Silas said:
At first, the Jelly King was like that in Spiral Knights, a constantly regenerating amorphous blob that spawned hundreds of mini versions all out for my blood, so you can imagine what happened when I turned up with a piercing weapon that actually did less damage per attack than what the jk could heal.Face=wall repeatedly.
Well, he is a boss. I believe you're supposed to fight him with other people, unless you got the gear to beat him with. Poison is also very effective at preventing him from healing. Make sure to keep as many poison potions as possible when you go through the Jelly gardens.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Deus Ex 1: I ran out of ammo, medkits, lock picks and multitools the first 5 times I tried to play it.
Final Fantasy Tactics. If you've played it you know exactly where.
Alpha Protocol. During the tutorial the alarms I needed to disable to progress didn't activate.

Alduin Silas

Aug 3, 2011
Pirakahunter788 said:
Alduin Silas said:
Well, he is a boss. I believe you're supposed to fight him with other people, unless you got the gear to beat him with. Poison is also very effective at preventing him from healing. Make sure to keep as many poison potions as possible when you go through the Jelly gardens.
Oh I've defeated him time and time again, but it was that first time when I had no idea what to hit him with.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Yes actually. I tend to be very impatient with rpgs and blast through the enemies by either running or using clever tactics in battle. As a result, I end up with a really weak team by the time I reach the final area, such as in Breath of Fire 4.

Either that or I try experimental builds like my first serious character in Fallout:NV which was more of a sweet talker and laser weapons expert. The problem with this was when I entered the DLC Blood Money and found that there were considerably more melee weapons and guns than energy, neither of which I was particularly skilled with.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
rose too many alarms in Splinter Cell, on the mission to rescue the captured US soldiers at the meat processing plant. and i didn't take care of the bodies, so i moved into the next region, saved, and went forward, only to have the checkpoint raise a game-over alarm. and i never played again for months. then i went way back and made up the difference. THEN i finished it!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Resident Evil 4, I had made some bad decision on spending my money mainly investing upgrading that double pericing handgun instead of buying much better gun.
I also wasted my ammos to the point I had a few ammo left at that caged bridge area where you have to fight that big guy (who you took his eyeball) mutated form. I'm pretty sure there is no where I can kill him again with just using my knife (it would be bad ass but there is no way I can pull that off without some great difficulty).

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Ah yes MW2, the last level, on veteran

I got a checkpoint with an enemy sitting literally right behind me with a shotgun,

it was an infinite loop, and a very frustrating one at that.