Have you ever had this dilemma?

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Sometimes you have to let nature take its course and pretend as if you were never there.

I have put animals out of their misery before but I prefer to save them if possible. Fortunately, my sister is a Vet so if I ever get put in a situation like this, I can ring her up for advice.

One of the worst scenarios I've ever experienced was a dog getting hit by a car late at night. I was just behind the car that hit the dog at the time. What's worse is that the incident was completely avoidable as I noticed the dog in the distance for several seconds. The car in front of me made no attempt to slow down and just carelessly drove through. It didn't kill the dog, though watching half of its body roll under a tire had me believe that it was. Somehow, it managed to limp to the side of the road and I pulled over to check it out.

The dog was losing a lot of blood and I was thinking that it knew it was going to die. So, I called my sister to see if there was anything I could do. After describing the damage and overall state of the dog, she was sad to admit that there was little hope for the dog to be saved by the time help would normally arrive. My choices were to let it bleed to death on its own or put it out myself. I have never killed an animal of this size before and I was concerned that if I didn't do it the right way, I would cause more unneeded pain. Lacking the proper tools at the time, I had to look around for something that would help me. As luck would have it, I found a branch with just the right amount of length and weight. I carefully moved the dog further from the road and then I took a carefully calculated overhead swing to the dog's head. While I'm not sure if the blow killed the dog, at the very least it made it unconscious.

I was a little shook up after the incident and it took me a good 30 minutes of cooling down before I could drive home.

Asti

Jun 23, 2011
Never an injured one.
I found a young budgie once. It was scared to death and couldn't fly for more than five meters. I adopted it. :3

Turned out to be a really stubborn and weird bird, but I wouldn't give it away anymore. <3

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I've had a similar situation with a bat. My step father worked at the local U.S. Armory in my town and he found a little baby bat there. Our family being animal lovers he grabbed it up and brought it home. My mother took care of it the most and feeding it with gloved hands. Unfortunately though, it died a few days later. Without it's real mother it just wasn't able to survive. I still feel sorry for the little guy to this day.

purehatred89

Jul 27, 2011
Screamarie said:
I've had a similar situation with a bat. My step father worked at the local U.S. Armory in my town and he found a little baby bat there. Our family being animal lovers he grabbed it up and brought it home. My mother took care of it the most and feeding it with gloved hands. Unfortunately though, it died a few days later. Without it's real mother it just wasn't able to survive. I still feel sorry for the little guy to this day.
Poor bat, they're such adorable and interesting creatures. That's partly why I felt so bad, I'd never seen a woodpecker before.

CaptainTrilby

Jun 3, 2011
Having cats who leave half dead mice and birds around the garden, it is the only thing you can do to stop them suffering anymore. It depends if the animal in question can't move at all or is in danger of suffering even more. I have it as a general rule now. It's tough but it is the only real option.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
One time on my way to school there was a pigeon in the middle of the road. It looks like its feet are broken or something as it didn't move from the spot it was laying on at all. I wanted to pick it up and move it away from the school and onto the pavement but I was paranoid with the germs they carry so I leave it be.
After school on the back home that pigeon had become road kill so I had regret for not saving it at all when I had the chance.

Vandy

Apr 18, 2011
I had a cat once who managed to find a nest of chicks. She came over the fence with one in her mouth, which I managed to get away from her. It was just a hatchling and there was no way it was going to survive long outside of the nest, so I covered it with paper towels and proceeded to stomp on the poor thing too put it out of it's misery. Just as I finished cleaning all the gore of the pavement, I looked up in time to see my little turd of a cat come back over the fence with another damn chick! All I could do was yell "You better not fucking choke on that you dumb *****!" and let her have at it.
Nature, eh?

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
purehatred89 said:
I was just walking my dog in the wooded area behind my house, when I came upon an injured Green Woodpecker [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Woodpecker]. It was hobbling along the floor, wings unfurled, but it appeared unable to fly away, despite our proximity. I remorsefully decided to leave it be, as I had no useful equipment with which to bring it home, bare hands aside, nor could I bring myself to "put it out of it's misery".

Have any of you ever come across an injured wild animal? What did you do?
When I was a kid, I found a pigeon with a dislocated wing (I don't think it was broken but the bird couldn't fly). I took it home and kept it for about 2 weeks, taking it out everyday and trying to make it fly (mostly by throwing it up in the air - it would just start to flap it's wings trying to stay in the air).
After 2 weeks, it finally managed to fly away. It came back and sat by my window several times. I guess it was trying to say thanks or something.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I once free'd a butterfly from a spiders nest.

The butterfly probably died, what with it's wings being broken and glued together.

And the spider probably died; what right did I have to pass judgement on it just because it was ugly?

Next time I see a dying rabbit I'm going to feed a family of starving foxes. A good deed for the day y'know?

purehatred89

Jul 27, 2011
HardkorSB said:
It came back and sat by my window several times. I guess it was trying to say thanks or something.
If you keep a pigeon in the same area for a period of time, they learn it as "home" thanks to their inner-magneticism, it's how homing pigeons work.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
We used to keep doves but the entire neighbourhood is rather "cat friendly". Our neighbours cat has "atleast" caught 5 doves over the past few years. And the neighbours never really cared. Multiple times I had to restrain myself from grabbing a baseball bat and beating the hell out of that stupid cat.

A few years ago one of the doves was maimed but beyond saving. Our dad had to break its neck with a shovel. It still angers me that some of our pets had to die just because the neighbours were to lazy to restain that cat even a little.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I was with my dad when we saw an injured pigeon once. It's wing was all messed up.
My dad just messed with the wing a bit and it flew off. That was cool.

purehatred89

Jul 27, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
I was with my dad when we saw an injured pigeon once. It's wing was all messed up.
It would appear your father is Jesus re-incarnate.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
purehatred89 said:
hazabaza1 said:
It would appear your father is Jesus re-incarnate.
Well he did have a pretty sweet beard at the time.