Have you ever had to do somthing in a game that made you feel "uncomfortable"?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I mean somthing you just didnt feel right about, morally or otherwise

Red Faction Gurrella (mild spoilers)

so as I've said before that game plays everything staight, you are the good guys, EDF solders are the bad guys

theres this one mission where you and and two other people (one of them being "an interrigator") hijack a car with a high rankin officer in it, you drive around to extract information from him

so basically it turns out "the interrigator" is a bit of a psycho (due to her own experience with torture) and tortures him to get important information,to the point in which he begs to be killed (your listening to all this while you hold off the EDF with the mounted gun) once you get the info you all bail out of the car as it launches over a cliff, killing the officer

now I know its made pretty clear that the officer more or less "deserved" it (being a tortureer himself) how ever...your still torturing and killing somone, the Idea still made me a little uncomfortable

and Im not sure if the intention of the little scene was suposed to be played stright..or for laughs...OR to make you uncomfortable

eather way I dont mind it being in the game...shows somtimes you have to play dirty

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Aris Khandr said:
I have a hard time being mean to people, even in games. I'm just too nice, I guess.
Definitely this. I wouldn't say I'm too nice, but when it comes down to a choice of being nice or (generally) a complete asshat I can't feel right picking the mean option. In real life I have no problem being callous and farting in political correctness' face in the right situation, but then again, maybe that's it- in few to none of the situations where you are given a choice of how to act [EDIT]in video games[/EDIT] does it feel appropriate to be a jerk (at least to the degree given) unless you are doing it strictly to be mean/evil or there is no other option (supposedly Alpha Protocol was like this, but I've yet to play it).

Tr3mbl3Tr3mbl3

Mar 11, 2010
I'm sure numerous players are going to cite this if the topic catches fire, but "No Russian" was perhaps the most uncomfortable moment in gaming history for me. Granted, the scene depicted had a number of important thought-provoking themes over the question regarding the value of a single human life over that of another, but I couldn't shake the fact that the sequence was absolutely redundant when you realize you were being double-crossed. While it is undoubtedly an exceptional sequence, it crossed a line for me that most games don't even come close to.

Another uncomfortable game-play mechanic from a popular first-person shooter was harvesting Little Sisters in Bioshock 1 or 2. The idea of murdering an innocent little girl in order to increase your own power shouldn't sit right with any human being.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
inFAMOUS when I had a choice to start a riot or let the riot commence with a few blasts from the crowd. I was doing my evil playthrough.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
I had a hard time getting through the later parts of Tranquility Lane. The tasks you're assigned become more and more demented, up to the point where you're running around slaughtering all of those innocent people.. Call me a moralfag if you want, but I found that part to be quite disturbing.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Spoilers for InFamous 2
if you complete the evil plot-line, at the very end the game forces you to kill Zeke. I would have no problem doing this at the end of InFamous 1, as he really screwed you over in that one, but one of the conversations you have with him before reviles that he loves Cole as a brother, and that he really means it when he calls him that.the worst part was that there was no possible way for him to defeat you, and he basically voluntarily walked to his death. I had to look away as I pressed R1 to kill him

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Saving the world in Fable games if I'm an "evil" character who literally eats live baby chicks.

It's stupid.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
onewheeled999 said:
I had a hard time getting through the later parts of Tranquility Lane. The tasks you're assigned become more and more demented, up to the point where you're running around slaughtering all of those innocent people.. Call me a moralfag if you want, but I found that part to be quite disturbing.
You know you can say "Fuk yo rules" and bypass him right off the bat without hurting anyone?

OT:
Having to kill House to side with the NCR, or having to kill the BoS to side with House

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
onewheeled999 said:
you dont HAVE to do what he says...but yeah at first I thourght it was funny making little timmy cry..and then breaking up the couples marrage I felt kind of bad

also with falout NV being one of the elast black and white games, I got this quite a bit since what ever path you choose..no matter how good your intentions you still end up screwing somone over

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
CM156 said:
onewheeled999 said:
You know you can say "Fuk yo rules" and bypass him right off the bat without hurting anyone?

OT:
Having to kill House to side with the NCR, or having to kill the BoS to side with House
Vault101 said:
onewheeled999 said:
you dont HAVE to do what he says...but yeah at first I thourght it was funny making little timmy cry..and then breaking up the couples marrage I felt kind of bad
Really? o_O

I had no idea you could do that, haha. I'll have to experiment with that when I reach that point in my current playthrough, which is coincidentally only my second one.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Plenty of times, but the worst has to be Heavy Rain. I'm not a squeamish person per se, but Jesus effing Christ. That looked painful as hell.

Linsenman

Jul 2, 2011
I'm surprised no one mentioned the slaughtering of an airport in a somewhat older CoD. Yes I know that you could skip that in the game, but most games are better in full. It's really just wrong that they put that in there.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
onewheeled999 said:
CM156 said:
onewheeled999 said:

OT:
Vault101 said:
onewheeled999 said:
Really? o_O

I had no idea you could do that, haha. I'll have to experiment with that when I reach that point in my current playthrough, which is coincidentally only my second one.
I take it the "doctor" let you out in the end?

anyway you lose alot of Karma doing those things because your "willingly" playing along with his sick game (you can say that your enjoying it if your evil...I cant remember if there are dialouge options where you go along but say you dont like it)

anyway theres a way round it

as for a second playthrough of fallout NV..that game is so huge and I spent so much time in it that the very idea is daunting :/

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
Pfft that fate was too good for him. Should have just beat up on him with your MASSIVE hammer. God that game is fun at times.

OT:
Ah the whole Mr House thing in Vegas made me feel guilty. You can't just go and kill a defenseless old guy without feeling a little bad.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
I have a hard time being mean to people, even in games. I'm just too nice, I guess.
I do remeber Peter Molynuex giving some statisitics on the Playertesters for the original Fable. He said 90% of people were good all the way through, 7% started evil but were good by the end, and only 3% went evil till the end.

OT: There was a mission in GTA: San Andreas where you had to get a construction worker into a portaloo, bury it, and encase it in cement. The entire concept was horrible, and it really bugged me.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
During fallout 3 The Pit DLC I had a moral dilemma with the main quest.

I know the baby is the cure for the disease and will save thousands of lives but come on! You seriously want me to kidnap a baby? I understand the father is a tyrannical dictator and has a bunch of slaves but I still don't feel right kidnapping a baby even if it is morally the best option for the baby and the sick.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
badgersprite said:
Plenty of times, but the worst has to be Heavy Rain. I'm not a squeamish person per se, but Jesus effing Christ. That looked painful as hell.
Did you use the saw? The saw's the worst... How he just hacks at it with the blade because he can't control himself enough to saw through it like you normally would...