Have you ever had to turn a games music off because it was so bad?

Caisu

Mar 27, 2008
I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 at the moment, and I've had to turn the music off on that. It's not *bad*... more it's elevator music for the most part, the tracks aren't that long, and it takes me *hours* to do each dungeon. The music makes me so bored I give up after half an hour or so, so if I want to seriously grind and actually get anywhere I have to turn it off and put something more interesting on... It's a shame, cause I like DDS, and nearly all the SMT games I've played, but after a while all their music has this effect on me.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I tend to turn the music off in the Pokemon games, especially the Gameboy era ones as the music just started to grate after a while. There is only so many times I can listen to the Lavender town theme without my ears hurting.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
WickerMole said:
Jet Set Radio Future. Not that the music was very bad (I wasn't that fond of it), but ohmygod did it get annoying.
<youtube=LEIGu9-6xOg>
Listen to the chorus.
Over.
And over.
That's pretty caustic. I find that particular combination of disortion and filtering based vocal processing actually DOES sound cool in general, but it's better used on hooks or fills than a repeating chorus, unless you're writing an Atari Teenage Riot style Digital Hardcore track or something.

With a few exceptions, I find that female vocals processed thusly lend themselves better to backing male chorus lead vox, or as mentioned above, used as verse "punctuation".

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
The battle theme from Persona 3.

It's not really epic battle music, it sounds like cheap Japanese jazz or something. The amount of time spent in battle during the 80+ hours long game just really kills me.

Shadow Geo

Mar 24, 2011
Forza Motorsport 3. The soundtrack is soooo damn annoying, it's horrible. Couldn't they pick out better tracks??

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Breath of Fire III had very good music by and large, but the track that played in the wheat fields early in the game gave me a headache. One of the synth lines used such an abusively piercing sound that I couldn't listen to it.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. Oh that music annoyed the hell outta me. In the end I just played my music instead. :)

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
I can't recall having felt the need to turn music off entirely in any game, though I do sometimes reduce the volume a bit and I sometimes turn in-game radios off on some occasions just to have a bit of silence for a change.

I can think of a lot of games where music really added a lot to the game, though. No One Lives Forever had excellent and varied incidental music, and I like the music in Fallout 3 and New Vegas very much, not just the retro radio music but also the ambient and incidental music. Fallout 3's main theme is awesome.

Oh, and anyone who played Deus Ex with the music off missed out on a huge part of the atmosphere. That game's music is indispensable to the whole in my opinion.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
You hated the Nier soundtrack? o_O You are the first person I've met to say that.
I had to turn off TWEWY's sound for awhile. Not because it was bad, because personally it was really catchy! But hearing the same battle song over and over and over and over and over and over again can only hurt one's soul.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I'm going to answer with a question: Have you ever played a PC game which could only output sound through the PC speaker?

Some of you may be too young to remember those particular torture devices, but man were they annoying; the only game that I remember really making good use of it was the original Civilization, in which the PC speaker managed to be better than the already decent Soundblaster sound, although not as good as the MT-32 sound. The only explanation for Microprose pulling that one off is that Sid Meier is secretly a wizard.

Most of the videos on youtube are examples of games that pushed the PC speaker to its absolute limit; this game is much closer to the average.

Edit:

Incidentally, these both sound better than the original, because they were emulated in dos box, and you're playing them over real speakers. The PC speaker was this weird thing that could beep but wasn't good for much else; I have yet to find an emulated version that sounds as horrific as the real deal.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
no, but i had to mute the controller for Twilight Princess, those sound effects were SOOOO irritating!

Mudkipith

May 11, 2011
JMeganSnow said:
TheKruzdawg said:
As for turning off in-game music? I've never turned if off because I hate it, but I've turned it down so I could hear dialogue in both Mass Effect games. For some reason, either the music is way too loud or the voice-overs are too soft at times.
Both Dragon Age games had this problem due to the fact that the out-of-combat music and effects were VERY soft in comparison to the in-combat sounds, so if you wanted to listen to the ambient music while you were running around, when you got in a fight the noise would blast your ears out. It was AWFUL.

Anyway the only game I play where I turn the music off and listen to something else is my MMO, and that's because I've heard all the music in that game a million times already. Granted, sometimes my playlist doesn't exactly mesh well with the game, so I turn it back on occasionally.
For DA I actually had to use a mixer and edit the game files so I could hear dialogue and retain my ear drums.

OT: Every flash game ever.
And most open world games IE: F:NV, Minecraft. Fallout because even the custom radio stations begin repeating, and Minecraft because the same ambient track begins to annoy the hell out of me.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
Only flash games cant think of any games I bought that turned me off due to music.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2. Thanks the heavens X-360 can play music directly from my PC!

Ilyak1986

Dec 16, 2010
SageRuffin said:
Ninja Gaiden 2. There's only 3, 4 tracks at maximum worth listening to.

The soundtracks to MvC3 and MK 2011 are also quite forgettable.
MvC3?

Zero's theme? Akuma's? Ryu's? Cap's? Task's? Wolverine's? Magneto's? Morrigan's?

All of those are amazing.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I almost always turn music off or, in the very least, way down. Most of the time I have found I can hear the dialogue over the music, particularly if it is in combat dialog and not a cut scene.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
I'm surprised no one has posted this little gem yet. Staying on target, the soundtrack to Superman for the NES was pretty mind numbing.
Hit play if you dare.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
The voices in Okami were so bad I had to mute it and eventually I stopped playing.

MattyDienhoff said:
Oh, and anyone who played Deus Ex with the music off missed out on a huge part of the atmosphere. That game's music is indispensable to the whole in my opinion.
Yes... God yes. Paris and Hong Kong especially.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I'll turn off the music as soon as I get bored with it. Doesn't have to be bad, just repeated too often.