Have you ever liked something that ruined your enjoyment of everything else?

HighPlainsSquinter

Dec 8, 2010
This may sound like an odd question, but have you ever liked something (a game, movie, book, et cetera) in a way that ruined your enjoyment of everything else? You see something that isn't related and you just can't get enthusiastic about it?

I only ask because I'm going through this right now with a certain TV show.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...does something that goes to alot of effort portraying something realistically, which makes it harder to ignore the liberties something else takes count?

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Your question seems a bit too vague, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what you're asking.

Hopefully if I understood correctly, this has never happened to me. If I liked only one game, album, book, or movie which made everything else less enjoyable and perhaps downright inferior, I'd become Master Chief (from Arby 'n The Chief), completely close-minded, unable to give anything else a chance.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I know what your asking, and going through it now. I'm finding it hard to get into other games after Mass Effect. They aren't perfect by any means, but I miss the sheer depth of the games. So I haven't played a game for the last 2 days, I've lost the will. It's happened several times while finishing a manga. My general solution is to play/watch/read the subject again straight after, which normally works, but I've spent 120 hours on ME games now, and I want to play them both again. I find doing new things difficult, despite the boredom, and it's a problem I need to solve already. I blame the Britishness, makes me not want to do things that I haven't deemed 'traditional'.

Legless Zombie

Jul 4, 2011
Dead Space ruined the horror genre for video games for me because it seems like no other game achieves the same feeling of isolation that I got from Dead Space. Also I think Zero Punctuation is affecting how much I enjoy the Angry Video Game Nerd.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Somewhat, yes.

I was formerly a fan of TGWTG. Then I discovered a site that mocked them and showed a quite a few bad things about them. Like how critique is punished and people are banned for saying negative things. The list goes on and on. I'm actually glad that I've joined up with them now. But I can't enjoy TGWTG anymore. Still, I do enjoy writing for them. So it's all cool.

HapexIndustries

Mar 8, 2011
Neon Genesis Evangelion was so good it ruined my interest in anime. Nothing would ever be as good so I stopped bothering.

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
FalloutJack said:
I have no idea how to answer this.
Tsh, thought they trained you Enclave boys better than that.

I quite like the fallout wikipedia. i have really enjoyed going into detail about the behaviors of creatures and the history behind certain areas. (vault 11. my god.) but its the little things that are given away, mysteries answered that you only realise afterward that you should have found out for yourself. spoilers, if you will. the world is much more beautiful with lots of mystery and questions.

The Serpent

Jun 20, 2011
Watchmen was the first graphic novel I read. It will also be the last.

After watching Community I could hardly sit through an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
HighPlainsSquinter said:
I only ask because I'm going through this right now with a certain TV show.
I have to ask... what is the show?

I'm pretty sure I've been through what you're talking about a bunch of times with various TV shows and video-games, most recently was Firefly (which I only just found out about and watched). When I'm watching or playing anything else I always have a really annoying feeling that I would be enjoying myself much more if I was watching Firefly, except there is no more Firefly. (I realise I'm late here, but seriously, wwwhhhyyyyy!?!?)

The feeling always goes away after a while, but until then I just can't get much enjoyment out of anything. I've taken to lurking/posting on this forum all day, in between 5 minute bouts of various games I try to force myself to like.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Reading the following series and authors has made me a bit jaded in terms of literature:

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series
H.P. Lovecraft's "Dreamlands" series
Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" trilogy
George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series
Ray Bradbury's short stories.

Seriously. I have found nothing that can compete with the depth, beauty, and emotional strife of these series. I read the ending to "The Small Assassin" by Bradbury and was stunned.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Kellerb said:
FalloutJack said:
I have no idea how to answer this.
Tsh, thought they trained you Enclave boys better than that.

I quite like the fallout wikipedia. i have really enjoyed going into detail about the behaviors of creatures and the history behind certain areas. (vault 11. my god.) but its the little things that are given away, mysteries answered that you only realise afterward that you should have found out for yourself. spoilers, if you will. the world is much more beautiful with lots of mystery and questions.
Oh, I AM good. Spoiling something on me doesn't even have much of a negative effect. It's rather hard to ruin things for me, so I can't even begin to answer this question. It's a matter of TOO MUCH knowledge, rather than too little.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Zero Punctuation seems to be effecting my opinion on gaming. Games I used to like now seem less good if they got a bad review. Not much though.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Well, ASoIaF ruined almost all other "fantasy" for me. There are only a handful of other SF/Fantasy writers i can read now without cringing at how poorly their stories and characters are crafted.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Jim Butcher has completely spoiled me for other fantasy books. None of them are even close to how good his are.