Have you ever loved a series/francise so much that you DIDN'T want to see it continue?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Freaky Lou said:
I think New Vegas, with its ending that basically has you deciding what direction civilization in the wasteland will take from here on out, is a fitting end to the series. 3 entries is a good amount for any franchise anyway.
New Vegas was far from the third game in the Fallout series. It was the sixth.

OT: I think that any series that has so run out of places to go that it can only be rebooted should end.

Thief: Deadly Shadows was the last Thief game. And I'm ok with that. It was a strong end for the storyline. It was a great game. And the people making the reboot should have had the balls to either find a way to continue Garrett's story, or make a new world, instead of pretending that their new game is a Thief game.

DeadRise17

Feb 23, 2013
Before the release of Halo 4, I had hoped Halo would die, just because of the rebooted Combat Evolved. I thought anything that has to be rebooted must be getting stale.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
Freaky Lou said:
I think New Vegas, with its ending that basically has you deciding what direction civilization in the wasteland will take from here on out, is a fitting end to the series. 3 entries is a good amount for any franchise anyway.
I am aware of the existence of Tactics, BoS, and The Elder Scrolls: Nuclear. Those games do not contribute to the actual Fallout storyline/mythos so they count as spinoffs.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Freaky Lou said:
Shocksplicer said:
Freaky Lou said:
I am aware of the existence of Tactics, BoS, and The Elder Scrolls: Nuclear. Those games do not contribute to the actual Fallout storyline/mythos so they count as spinoffs.
Wait, so you're calling Fallout 3 (A main game in the series) a spinoff, and saying that New Vegas (A spinoff) is a main game in the series??? Apart from anything else, your dismissal of Fallout 3 as "The Elder Scrolls: Nuclear" is silly, seeing as how New Vegas is by no means different enough from 3 to avoid the same accusation. Interesting logic you're using here...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
DarkRyter said:
Scrubs.

Season 9.

I didn't want that. Nobody wanted that.
What are you talking about?

It ended with Season 8.

>.>

OT: Hm. I think Bioshock is fast approaching that point, with one qualifier. I'd like to see Irrational go to space again, and maybe possibly tie the franchise back to System Shock, and end it with that -- Though I'm sure a lot of System Shock fans would scoff at the prospect of tarnishing their precious franchise with the name of its "dumbed down" spiritual successor.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah - part of the series I don't like reboots. I'd rather series have endings and that's it. I'm pretty happy with that - once wrapped up, series don't get extra instalments.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Thief has inspired a good bit of trepidation; Deadly Shadows was a decent game on its own merits but not up to the standards of its predecessors. The reboot is worrisome because it looks it's continuing #3's erosion of the very tight focus of the first two.

Beyond that... not really. The games which I found good enough that they'd lose what they had from the addition of a direct sequel really haven't been getting any. Thematic sequels like Torment: Tides of Numenera or Bioshock Infinite work out better in that case, and suggest that any game can continue as a series as long as they don't take too stringent a view on what a sequel is.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Literally every time I truly love a series. A well told story doesn't need a sequel. It is as simple as that.

Any story worth telling should be able to stand on its on feet without the need to tie it into a franchise. For example: Bioshock: Infinite,was very good, but it only had a very small portion of the game that served as connection and an excuse to make more sequels. It easily could have been a new property without detracting anything away from the game or its story.

EDIT: If the story grows too large to contain in a single game/book/movie that is different. But, so long as the story has a conclusion, I would ask the writer not to make a sequel.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
Like many others, Mass Effect. And Halo, but now I just feel indifferent to it.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
Wait, so you're calling Fallout 3 (A main game in the series) a spinoff, and saying that New Vegas (A spinoff) is a main game in the series??? Apart from anything else, your dismissal of Fallout 3 as "The Elder Scrolls: Nuclear" is silly, seeing as how New Vegas is by no means different enough from 3 to avoid the same accusation. Interesting logic you're using here...
Yeah, 'cause New Vegas carries on the main Fallout storyline whereas FO3 is a completely different game in a completely different location with completely different characters. (Yes, there's some recognizable names and themes like the BoS, Enclave, Super Mutants etc., but they aren't anything like they are in the main games so it's really got nothing to do with the main series.)

New Vegas isn't much different than FO3 in straight gameplay, but in writing, tone, roleplaying depth and theme it is a million miles apart. Much much more a Fallout game even if it is FPS-styled.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Freaky Lou said:
Shocksplicer said:
Yeah, 'cause New Vegas carries on the main Fallout storyline whereas FO3 is a completely different game in a completely different location with completely different characters. (Yes, there's some recognizable names and themes like the BoS, Enclave, Super Mutants etc., but they aren't anything like they are in the main games so it's really got nothing to do with the main series.)

New Vegas isn't much different than FO3 in straight gameplay, but in writing, tone, roleplaying depth and theme it is a million miles apart. Much much more a Fallout game even if it is FPS-styled.
There is no "Main Fallout Storyline". Each game is set in the same world, but none of the games are anything more than tangentially related to each other. Fallout 3 may be set in a completely different location with different characters etc. but so is New Vegas, so there is no reason to claim that it is any more a "Main" part of the series than 3. I also don't see how it is tonally more "Fallout" than 3. It may be a bit more evolved in that aspect, but nowhere near enough to claim that it is a main part of the series over 3.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
There is no "Main Fallout Storyline". Each game is set in the same world, but none of the games are anything more than tangentially related to each other. Fallout 3 may be set in a completely different location with different characters etc. but so is New Vegas, so there is no reason to claim that it is any more a "Main" part of the series than 3. I also don't see how it is tonally more "Fallout" than 3. It may be a bit more evolved in that aspect, but nowhere near enough to claim that it is a main part of the series over 3.
There definitely is a main Fallout storyline. In Fallout 2 you're a descendant of the PC from FO1, and a lot of the same characters and locations are in the game. The governments of the little settlements from FO1 have developed based on the (canon) choices of the Vault Dweller. They have a STATUE of the Vault Dweller in Shady Sands, and a now-old Tandi talks about him frequently. New Vegas doesn't follow FO2 THAT directly, but it follows the developments of the same factions and is set in the same general area---FO2 had New Reno, which is also in Nevada. NV also has a TON of plot elements that are direct continuations of some of the ones in FO1/2, and many, many small references. It is part of the same series.

FO3 is actually at its worst when attempting to emulate the earlier games and I really wish they would have just come up with completely new factions rather than just ruin established ones---ones that didn't make any sense existing on the opposite end of the continent anyway. It is a spinoff at best, an impostor at worst. Not a part of the main series.

The best point you could make is that since Bethesda owns the liscense now, their Fallout world is now the canon one and FO3 is basically FO1 now. But it has got nothing to do with the other Fallout games, br0.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I didn't want Halo 4, much less an entire new trilogy. The fight was finished in Halo 3. All the loose ends had been tied. There was closure. I didn't mind ODST and Reach (I enjoyed them more than Halo 3, actually) since they were an offshoot and a prequel respectively. There was no need to continue the story past Halo 3 though, yet Microsoft did anyway, probably uttering these words:
I just can't bring myself to play Halo 4 because of this. I'm sure it's solid multiplayer experience, but I play Halo for the single player campaign and the story (Yeah I know, I'm a freak of nature).

snyperal

Jan 24, 2013
Call of duty, probably an unpopular one and i loved the franchise right from the very first one, but its time to put that cash cow dog down.

I have not seen firefly. I may look into that though it seems to come highly recommended.

The new imagining of batman should also stop where it is. its just getting ridiculous imo.

House was great but that went on for too long.

I wouldnt mind watching another series of 24, that was epic.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
soren7550 said:
Also, The Simpsons. If you asked me around season twelve or so, I would have said to keep it going, but seeing the sad dead beast it has become, it needs to die fast.
I agree Simpsons is one of my favorite shows of all time easily but after the 13th season it was all down hill. I feel so sad for them they are such a sad shell of their former glory.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Freaky Lou said:
New Vegas doesn't follow FO2 THAT directly
You're right, it doesn't. About as much as Fallout 3 does.

OT:

I wish Resident Evil would stop. Please stop. It's time to go backwards and just remake all your old games and call it a wrap on the series, please.

Every release just gets more ridiculous and away from what made me a fan and it's sad to see it go.

RE1 - Ammo-less romp through a scary mansion with mutants and monsters

RE2 - Ammo-full shooting gallery through a scary police station and lab with mutants and monsters

RE3 - There's a mechanic where you make your own ammo, back alleys with mostly zombies.

Code Veronica - Superpowers

RE4 - Much more action oriented, no zombies, space bullcrap.

RE5 - Punching boulders into lava

RE6 - Stop iiiit

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Freaky Lou said:
Way more than FO3 for reasons explained in my previous reply.
Plot continuations and factions are present in Fallout 3 as well. Just because New Vegas is set in Nevada, on the west coast, which means it makes sense for the NCR to be there, doesn't make it more legitimate.

Sep 13, 2009
Snotnarok said:
The Phantasy Star series, no not Online, or Universe, because that has nothing to do with Phantasy Star.
The original series ended and it was a connected series of 4 games (maybe more if you count the ones that you could play on game gear or via the online service they had in japan) but the game series were all interconnected and it was all brought together with Phantasy Star IV. Lots of things were answered, and the game had a lot to offer including a very set ending that I don't think could continue without ruining the story. Some say Online is connected but they're wrong because the series is over with IV.

CAPCHA: Sod's law
I might be of a different opinion if I played the original Phantasy Stars, but I thought that Phantasy Star Online was pretty damn good. The subsequent iterations, Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Zero (and by the looks of it PSO2) just haven't managed to live up to PSO's quality. The amount of time I put into that game is ridiculous.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Splinter Cell, hands down. What they've done to "refresh" the franchise is just to turn it into an action game "with stealth elements," whatever the hell that means. Awesome show great job!