Have you ever posed as a girl in a MMORPG?

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I always play female characters when given the choice just because their faces tend to be easier on the eyes during cutscenes than the macho scarred butchface the males always seem to have.

Years ago playing wow this had an unexpected benefit that a few people gave me money just for talking with them. I found out later my more unscrupulous friend went on to flirt with them over whipers and managed to extort more gold out of them which I got a share of for just standing there for a while.

A friend was pimping my character out to strangers O.0

Apr 28, 2008
I tend to play whatever I feel like playing at the moment. Sometimes it's male, sometimes it's female. Never really got hit on, wasn't treated that differently either. But I did notice it was easier to get into a group playing as a female. Though that might be because I tend to play my male toons when many aren't on, and female toons when people are on. Not sure why, just what I do.

Oh, and there was this one time where a guy kept asking me to dance and strip for him. I did eventually cave. What I did was log out, quickly create a chubby male, ran to where he was, stripped, and danced my ass off.

He got angry, then left. Guy who was watching from afar laughed. And that's my story.

Talking about The Old Republic here, by the way.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Beautiful End said:
I do the opposite; I play a guy character even though I'm a girl.

I find interesting the fact that people just act "normally" when I'm a "guy". You know, they joke around, they act like themselves, they don't go for cheap shots, both verbally and (In game) physically, they don't hit on me because "I'm an unknown girl and I play games, ergo I'm a perfect match" (Believe me, it happens really often in real life. It's not even based on my looks).

Now, do I take advantage of it? No. I don't go around bullying people or...even flirting with others. I just find it easier for me to play as a male, mind my own business, go unnoticed and be on my way. I'm also totally fine with guys that play as girl.
I have a guy friend that plays as one because he like to draw girls and playing as one lets him analyze the outfits, poses and figures. He doesn't take advantage of it either; he just minds his own business. I gotta admit I also like playing as a guy for similar reasons.
Hear hear. I do exactly the same thing. In a way, it's relaxing to play as a guy, because I don't have to worry about the creeps coming out of the woodwork. And even if someone isn't being a creep, making a male character usually means I don't get stigmatized as an "other," or flirted with, or whatever. I'm just another player.

I don't have any problem with males playing females, or males playing males, or females playing females. Whatever anyone wants to do is fine by me... but I just think that it's easier, in general, to pick a male character in an MMO.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Yassen said:
I did once make a female Night Elf, guys were noticeably nicer to me. I never pretended to be a girl, didn't make any clues or flirts, anything. Having a female avatar was all it took. They'd include little smily faces, offer me gold or help with quests, pretty funny.

After that I never assumed someone's gender until they outright said it.
Yeah, that sounds about spot-on to my experience of a similar event.

Frankly, I now ALWAYS use a female character when I play MMO's ever since I tried Mabinogi, it helps with the whole player interaction thing that's kinda the whole reason I want to play an MMO and not another kind of game instead. If they ask if I'm a girl, I'll be honest and tell them no, and so far everyone I've told has been cool with it, no one calling me 'queer bait' or anything like that, but they like to joke about it, which I don't mind :)

It's all about having fun, in the end. Playing as a female character lets me have more fun, and I'm not lying to anyone, so no harm done.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
yes i roll female, but i don't mislead any one though i don't come out and say 'I'm packen sausage' ether

i did have one guy get on me about the 'why are you a dood playing as a chick', i didn't have to say a thing in my defense though, the whole zone jumped his shit for implying ever male that rolls a female character is gay or 'snapping off a crafty one' to them.

other wise, it actually never comes up, i don't get hit on or anything.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
I did once when I was playing Vindictus because I wanted to be a magic-user and that game doesn't allow you to choose your gender so I had to be female. I didn't really roleplay in a gendered fashion until the one time I had lesbian cybersex which was pretty awesome.

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
I've never posed as a woman. Hell, in games where you create your character I don't think I've ever used the female option. I guess because my created characters tend to always just be me on one level or another, the idea that I've Rule 63'd myself kinda freaks me out.

Once I'm playing online everybody automatically becomes genderless to me (unless I personally know them to be otherwise).

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
One time I did because the group was being ignorant.

I said "hold on I have too pee".

They spent the time I was gone debating my gender, the primary thought was that a girl would say "pee" while a guy would say "piss". I was brought up on a very proper way of speaking "pee" was acceptable but "piss", not a curse word, but very rude too say.

I get back and they ask my gender. I quickly read the above conversation, and said female. Just because I was slightly insulted that my way of speaking made them think of me in the feminine. Though I did notice that nothing else was said about it further. So that was a good sign.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
More often than I have played as male characters in MMOs. Don't know why but playing a female warrior is just so more appealing to me. Also posing as a female gets your free shit.
This is not exclusive to MMOs though, I do this in just about any and every game where you can chose your gender, even games where you don't even see your avatar or anything like that.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Posed as a girl? No.
However, 90% of my characters are female despite my being a male.

The female form is aesthetically pleasing. Unless I'm actually roleplaying as myself or a specific male archtype, I'll always choose a female. If the topic of gender ever comes up, I've always been upfront and honest about it.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Zyst said:
I don't do it but I know someone who not only goes for female characters but goes full on queer. My brother, we like to play MMOs together and he's just insane, he'll like flirt with people and make them his "Boyfriends" then they give him tons of free stuff, and I'm like "Is it worth it?"
As someone who's done it multiple times, yes. It is totally worth it. Begin held on a pedestal is surprisingly fun if it is done in "good taste".

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Only once. My sister had a character on my FFXI account, and when she quit I decided to keep it as a mule. A few years later I decided to use it for fishing, but that required a bit of grinding. I ran across an old nemesis who had quit and came back while playing this character, and while I didn't explicitly say I wasn't her, I didn't say I was me either, and used the following conversation to gather intelligence.

He said people take the game too seriously, but when I joined his shell he immediately threw a fit and started tossing around accusations. A big 'gotcha' moment followed, and the shell died less than a week later. Just as planned.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
I generally just play whatever body type suits the playstyle/character I wish to aim for. WoW is a good example of this, because you cannot customize your body type at all, all males are mucle-bound meatheads (Except Belfs, but everyone knows there are no male Belfs.) Which really doesn't suit the faster, stealthier, or just plain non-physical classes like Hunters, Rogues, and Mages. So if I'm playing a class/playstyle that doesn't revolve around the mantra of "I break things with my face!" I usually play female.

That being said, I haven't noticed any difference of treatment on a general level. For the most part people are either nice or they are not. Though on an individual basis I have noticed people's behaviour change when their illusion of what they think I am actually is. Most people are totally fine with the realization that someone is not trying to make their avatar look like themselves, others are... less open minded.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Yeah, I've done that, specifically to benefit from the fact people were nicer to me as a female toon.

Its actually a bit less true now, now people are EXTRA mean to female toons, I think its partly because of novelty of the "girl gamer" has faded a bit in recent times and partly because of the fact so many males play female toons.

Vanilla WoW though, Female Night Elf Dancing meant free gold in your trade window.

Captcha: more chocolate <--amusing.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I'm a girl and actually have never made mention of my sex in an MMO. people assume I'm a dude and I don't correct them. I play a male character.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
I don't roll females in MMO's because armor is gender neutral in terms of stats, however I was taught by traditional JRPGs all the way back to Dragon Quest III that rolling female characters was actually BENEFICIAL because there was always always always more female-only armor compared to male-only armor and a similar system was put in place in Demon's Souls that made a female mage more useful than a male mage. Some RPGs do not bother with male/female armor sets but whenever I play a JRPG, I usually do roll a female as a result of that knowledge.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Definitely if the developers limit classes, quests, or other content to one gender or another or if the game has preset characters for each class.

Otherwise I generally make my alternate character a female just for diversity and cross playing is actually a lot of fun.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I wouldn't say "posed", but I play as a girl all the time. Not just in MMOs, but just whenever given the choice. No point in role-playing if I have to be male.