Have you ever posed as a girl in a MMORPG?

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
RanD00M said:
Zyst said:
I don't do it but I know someone who not only goes for female characters but goes full on queer. My brother, we like to play MMOs together and he's just insane, he'll like flirt with people and make them his "Boyfriends" then they give him tons of free stuff, and I'm like "Is it worth it?"
As someone who's done it multiple times, yes. It is totally worth it. Begin held on a pedestal is surprisingly fun if it is done in "good taste".
Eh, no, what I meant by that "Is it worth it" is more along the lines is "Is your dignity that low?"

I don't need it, I prefer to get it myself and if I do get something it's better if it's out of good will and not because of a horny 13 year old.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I play a male (female) ... I just enjoy the sudden pause when I finally speak to new people on Vent.
The cold silence for that minute of realization really is hilarious. (Especially if that person has been a bit of a dick to me) I notice though that they adjust their attitude somewhat and that's not cool. :S
Lets me weed out the genuinely nice players from the ones faking it though. Call it deceptive but *shrug* there's enough men who play female characters for far more cynical and underhanded reasons.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I'm always talking about my massive penis and having intercourse with people's mothers so not many people suspect I'm a girl even though I select female avatars.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Define "posed as"...

Occasionally in a MMO, I will roll a female character. However, I won't pretend the person behind the keyboard is a female.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
I've done it once. In MMO's, I make it a point to avoid playing as a female most of the time. Being a straight male, I would rather avoid confusing anybody.

In Champions Online, I created a female character that was largely a brute. She had super strength as her primary super power, and her travel power was the super jump. Essentially "She-Hulk" but with a rather ordinary appearance. The character was a blond caucasian, wore a flannel shirt and jeans, and was about 5'5". The goal was to create a character that looks like it could have been an NPC, or an "innocent bystander" who just had a bad day and needed to vent by smashing things. I got her to level 13 or so, and then deleted her.

For some reason my Oblivion character, my Fable III character, my URU (Myst) Character, and my KOTOR characters are all female. My favorite Sims 2 character was an independent female Chef. Maybe I'm just creating the characters based on the traits I desire in a girlfriend, strong, authoritative, independent, intelligent, and caring. My Mass Effect series character is male though.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Lets see...

I barely played any MMORPG, so nope.

For that matter, Not in pretty much every game I have played, too. Well except, ya know, if the main character is a girl, for obvious reasons (duh). I dont think that counts thougt, so...

And even then I can only think of 1 or 2 examples...

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I never have, but the wife plays on my accounts, and whenever she plays she gets hit on. Most recently was Aion. She was questing and stopped, and i offered to quest just to grind her out of the area, and she agreed. No sooner than i entered the area, someone pm's me

"Hey sexy"
(My replies will be unquoted)
"Ever had a cock in you?"
Nope.
Have you?
"naw baby"
Would you like to?
"WTF? Girls don't have cocks"
No, but their husbands do

He DC'd shortly after that.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I once had a female Night Elf in WoW. It was...weird. Lots of free shit, but a lot of creepers too. Since then, I played exclusively males until Mass Effect, then I started dabbling in female characters again in everything else.

DotSlash

Knives on Full Auto!
Nov 20, 2011
I've played as a girl in a few MMOs, mostly because I like using the avatars as a basis for drawing stuff. (I draw girls quite a bit.) There do tend to be creepers, but I almost always announce I'm a dude before doing anything with anyone to avoid any awkwardness and unwanted attention later on.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Depends really.

Upon class and armour design.

A lot of the time males look awful, a lot of the other times, females are dressed like strippers.

So, I tend to vary from game to game.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Phasmal said:
I am a girl, but I asked about this ages ago and was surprised how many people have actually done it. I don't quite understand it myself because people have never been nicer to me (in fact most people are nicer to me when they think I'm a dude).

I think it's gotten to the point now though that so many people do or have done it that nobody really assumes someone playing a female avatar is really female any more.
We keep inviting people into our guild on GW2 and many have girly names but are all dudes.
My guild's still a sausage fest. :p
This has been close to my experience. I am female and I only play female avatars (it's my own preference). I have never been hit on, and most people will assume I am a male, despite the female avatar.

Maybe I am not hit on because I generally refuse to play the "sexy" females. I play the ones that interest me, such as gnomes. I think they are cute, but they don't carry the same "sexy! Look at me!" message that other races, such as elves, do.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Nope! Not sure why just never wanted too. I had a cousin that made a Girl Gnome Warrior on WoW with pink pig-tails. Said it was funny to beat people in PVP.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I'm a guy and I have several female characters on WoW.

I've never pretended to be a girl, never went out of my way to say that I'm a guy and I have never received any gifts or any special treatment.

Also I assume that every other player is male, but will use the terms "her" or "she" when referencing their character if it's female.

Other characters that I know or believe to be female receive no different treatment from anybody else.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I've done it, like others have said letting them assume, it was a bit like accidentally discovering a new element. Suddenly the game went from confusing, difficult and lonely, to an adventure full of friendship and helpful kindly people. Guilds fought each other over me (I was, in time, quite good at what I did), I was constantly being fawned over, and people were gifting me all kinds of stuff, some spending hours earning them for me (this was all vanilla). The insane thing is that I never did this on purpose, I was myself, but as a male character I was treated with hostility, as a female character I was treated like a person. I never asked for a thing, not for help, or gifts, or anything, attitudes were just all different and I got a lot of those unrequested things anyway.

I learned a lot, mostly though, I learned that being a girl in a MMO is much much easier. I outperformed people outside of my class (I mention I was good at what I did?) at their own specialties, even tanked and healed bosses at the same bloody time, and mostly kept to myself.

Nobody ever realized I was a man. I never flirted, it wasn't acting, I was just me and they presumed I was a very sweet lady with a mild sardonic streak. If anything, it was kind of amusing when they'd crow about finally meeting a female player that was better than the boys. Can't help smiling at that even now.

CoS_Dorian

Aug 31, 2012
A lot of my male friends play female characters in MMORPGs. So do I. You know, for a guy, it feels much better to watch a female butt shaking all day long than that of males. But when people ask or when they start having any weird moves, I always tell them that I am a guy.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Three of my current WoW characters are female, particularly because the male models for those races just look horridly ridiculous in everything based on class.

I think the first female character I ran was a priest in Ragnarok Online. I remember thinking they had they most well done models in the game.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Me and a friend of mine took this really far once.

We made a character in a MMORPG and then got some sucker to make a party with that character meaning that we got experience points while doing nothing (level 5 character in a level 50-70 dungeon). However that's not all, we were flirting a lot with him and the guy was really into it. After going on for about one hour about all the things he wanted to do he asked my friend if "she" had a webcam. Well, we did have one and we did have a fake messenger profile ready. Anyway he gets on messenger and we get the webcam started up. He thought he was going to see a young girl, but ended up seeing me and my friend waving slowly at him while trying our best not to laugh.

It was awesome.