Have you ever supported/sympathised with a games villain/enemy?

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Are there any factions in a game that the character (and the player) are supposed to dislike/hate, but you support them instead?

As in, characters that you HAVE to fight, or are the story's antagonists?

Personally, I kinda support Abstergo Industries and the Templars in the Assassin's Creed universe. Yes, they may secretly control the world, and are generally portrayed as the 'bad guys' that do 'bad guy' stuff. But Ezio isn't much better, really. The game tries to dress it up, but you are effectively a serial killer. Random guards, who have no idea of the larger conflict, who have joined the guard so that their families can eat, who are effectively innocents, are slaughtered by Ezio.

You bribe the heralds, rip off wanted poster and kill witnesses (they're apparently corrupt, but still). You are effectively a terrorist.

All the Templars want to do (at least in the times around the Third Crusade) is create world peace. Yes, it's through questionable means, but the intention is good.

-----

So yeah, rambling aside, what enemies would you actually side with if it was up to you?

TheVicariousWriter

Jan 24, 2011
Part of having a great story is having a somewhat sympathetic villain or at least one you can see his side of the story. As in the case of brotherhood they are both after the the same objective, however one does it by control the other by free will.

Platti

Nov 16, 2009
Come to think of it, I do feel sorry for the random guards around in the AC series, but Abstergo has no sympathy from me.

Probably Illidan Stormrage from Warcraft 3, and WoW. He got fucked over so many times.

Mr House

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I actually ended up sympathising with the Geth in Mass Effect 1. After Tali told me about how the Geth became sentient and the Quarians responded by trying to shut them all down, it actually made me feel sympathy for the Geth.
It left me walking away thinking to myself constantly about what it means to be 'human' and how far the Geth blurred the line between organic and synthetic life, and indeed if they could really be considered 'mindless machines'.
Let me tell you, I was grateful for the inclusion of Legion in Mass Effect 2. I liked seeing it from their perspective and now, I think I'm actually pro Geth.

Also while I'm here, heil the Elites in the Halo series. For they are the true underappreciated heroes of the franchise. Plus, I can't help feeling sorry for them considering their religion, the thing that they hold up as the most important thing to them... is based on a lie and it crashed and crumbles before their very eyes.
It's better to lose one's life then it is to lose one's reason for living.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I end up sympathising with the villains in various media all the time.

Mostly, though, this is due to heroes I can't stand. You can have heroes that are obviously morally wrong which I want to see fail, or stupid heroes that are obviously technically or professionally wrong which I expect to see fail.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No not really. There have been a few where I could kinda see where he was coming from, but no I can't say I ever actually supported the antagonist.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Diablo. He has a super electrocution attack and he's not supposed to use it? C'mon!!!

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Lucien from Fable 3.

You take over from him, and then he reveals that the whole nation is going to be invaded and crushed by an ancient horror. And to stop it, you have to be arguably worse than him (or break the game through exploiting real estate, but that's irrelevant). That was a big "Oh!" moment for me. Sure, he acted like a tyrannical dick, but he didn't have the time or the social stability to deal with rebels and protesters peacefully.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
The final villain from Tales of Symphonia. Sure, this game had almost every cliche in the book story-wise, but this was the first time I was introduced to a well-intentioned extremist [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WellIntentionedExtremist] in a story.

His goals were pure...but his methods were far from it.

Even though it was necessary, I still felt kinda bad for foiling his plans.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
for all the crap it got for cell shaded graphics, Zelda: Wind Waker really portrayed Gannondorf in an unexpected light in the end, and showed how his motivation to dominate Hyrule and the larger world was born of good intentions for his people, the Guerdo.

the Geth in Mass effect are another example, being largely used by Saren and Soverign as disposable troops, and then with Legion highlighting the whole Heratic/Establishment Split.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Vrex360 said:
I actually ended up sympathising with the Geth in Mass Effect 1. After Tali told me about how the Geth became sentient and the Quarians responded by trying to shut them all down, it actually made me feel sympathy for the Geth.
It left me walking away thinking to myself constantly about what it means to be 'human' and how far the Geth blurred the line between organic and synthetic life, and indeed if they could really be considered 'mindless machines'.
Let me tell you, I was grateful for the inclusion of Legion in Mass Effect 2. I liked seeing it from their perspective and now, I think I'm actually pro Geth.
It's all right, all those geth you killed in ME 1 wern't true geth. It was those darn heratics, who thought that the reapers would bring them their destany.
But Geth make their own destany.

OT: Can't think of any at the minute, but I'm sure there are a few.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
The Lich King/Arthas Menethil.

He's so fucking hot/cool/awesome.

And loads of others. Like loads. I usually prefer the villains over the protagonist(unless it's an RPG).

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Not necessarily sympathizing, but I definitely saw where Dr. Breen was coming from in his decision to immediately capitulate to the Combine, and how he thought that it really was best for the future of humanity.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
All of the really evil genious ones actually... A lot of the times I like the villain a lot more than the hero.
Does that say something about me?

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
I was for the Templars in the first AC game. in AC2 and Brotherhood, however, I agreed more with the protagonists, because they seemed to be working towards the good of all, not the good of the few.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
The villains of the first two Golden Sun games really aren't all that bad. They actually knew way more about what's going on in regards to saving the world than you were ever allowed to know from the Moral Guardians of the series. Also I find pyrokinetic chicks to be...*dark sunglasses*...rather hot.

Also, Dr. Fetus just seems to be really sad.

UrbanCohort

Nov 30, 2009
Lot of them. Radiata Stories, Logan from Fabled 3 and maybe the guy from Fabled 2...couple others that I can't recall. I sympathized a bit with their aims.

Never liked them though, by virtue of the fact that they kept trying to kill me.