Have you ever tried something in real life you saw in a game and it turned out...

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
lucky_sharm said:
...to be WAY harder than it looks?

For instance, crouch walking silently is not quite as simple as it seems, especially with shoes on. I work out my legs pretty often, too! The sound of your clothes rustling, like while you're wearing jeans, can make a lot of noise in silent environments as well.
Dr. Doomsduck said:
Well, lockpicking certainly isn't the joyride they show you in games and/or movies. Because as it turns out, hairpins can get jammed in the lock, leaving you with A) a closed door, B) a broken lock and C) a very pissed-off landlord.
Honestly those two things are not that hard. But I guess I had a lot of free time as a kid.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
lucky_sharm said:
...to be WAY harder than it looks?

For instance, crouch walking silently is not quite as simple as it seems, especially with shoes on. I work out my legs pretty often, too! The sound of your clothes rustling, like while you're wearing jeans, can make a lot of noise in silent environments as well.
I know exactly what you mean, not only that but trying the roady-run from Gears of War with a hundred pounds (to simulate armour and weapons) makes masochism an art form.

Xenedus

Nov 9, 2010
I remember after I played Skyrim like crazy for a few days I woke up early in the morning on day and thought to myself "I'll just save and sleep in a bit and then reload and go to class"

Sad part is that it took me a while to realize the flaw in that particular plan.

Also shadows are not nearly as effective in real life as they are in Games.

The Sanctifier

Nov 26, 2012
EHKOS said:
The bicycle kick does not work in real life, nor running on walls. The flying mid-air kick is easier though. Also I zone out while driving in real life and Need for Speed...wish that one wasn't easy to do.

I don't know if it was the sights or that it was a BB gun, but aiming is hard.
I remember using a BB gun at a fair once, which was the closest I've got to firing a real gun. It felt odd at first because in any video game I played aiming down sight would automatically line up both the iron sight and foresight so long as you weren't turning in a different direction. Took me a few seconds at the time to realize that I had to do this myself.

AmberSword

Jun 16, 2014
This hasn't been mentioned before, so here goes.

The "quickdraw/ iaido" technique, for swords/katanas/wakizashis/etc specifically, as is depicted in loads of games, comics and anime, especially Rurouni Kenshin.

I get that this is a legitimate sword fighting technique, but the way its depicted in fiction is nigh impossible, its often depicted as being much faster AND more powerful to draw and slash in one motion, than to simply slash with the sword drawn, which is quite inane.

The only way it could work realistically was shown in Metal Gear Rising with Sam, He had cybernetic enhancements to his arm, a high frequency blade, along with a scabbard revolver which shot his sword out at blinding speeds. All this coupled with the element of surprise and confusion made the technique very potent and deadly. Even so, the technique still required split second timing and minor setup, demonstrated in both cutscenes and actual gameplay.

I very well could be wrong though, feel free to correct and disprove me. I have no real world experience in any form of sword combat besides toy swords :D.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
AmberSword said:
The "quickdraw/ iaido" technique, for swords/katanas/wakizashis/etc specifically, as is depicted in loads of games, comics and anime, especially Rurouni Kenshin.

I get that this is a legitimate sword fighting technique, but the way its depicted in fiction is nigh impossible, its often depicted as being much faster AND more powerful to draw and slash in one motion, than to simply slash with the sword drawn, which is quite inane.
Well it is much faster in perception, you essentially go from a non threatening sheathed sword to a full swing, that is an awful lot of time saved compared to unsheathe - prepare for swing - and then swing, time which gives your opponent a gigantic telegraph of incoming attack.
But it is obviously not strong, at the most masterful level you can maybe get the power of one hand into it and to pull it off at all you need to be insanely skilled.

It is much like the western movies favourite revolver quickdraw, of course anyone can try it but to actually hit anything even close to your target mere moments after you pulled your gun and shot from the hip would require thousands of hours in training.

Obviously in entertainment everyone becomes Superman... or better.

AmberSword

Jun 16, 2014
Mr.K. said:
AmberSword said:

Well it is much faster in perception, you essentially go from a non threatening sheathed sword to a full swing, that is an awful lot of time saved compared to unsheathe - prepare for swing - and then swing, time which gives your opponent a gigantic telegraph of incoming attack.
But it is obviously not strong, at the most masterful level you can maybe get the power of one hand into it and to pull it off at all you need to be insanely skilled.

It is much like the western movies favourite revolver quickdraw, of course anyone can try it but to actually hit anything even close to your target mere moments after you pulled your gun and shot from the hip would require thousands of hours in training.

Obviously in entertainment everyone becomes Superman... or better.
You're right, I suppose that's why its a legitimate technique in the first place, relying on the element of surprise to one hit kill your opponent or severely cripple them.

It feels similar to dual wielding, realistic in some very niche circumstances (Miyamoto Musashi), but completely insane in video games and other forms of fiction.

The Random Critic

Jul 2, 2011
Xenedus said:
I remember after I played Skyrim like crazy for a few days I woke up early in the morning on day and thought to myself "I'll just save and sleep in a bit and then reload and go to class"

Sad part is that it took me a while to realize the flaw in that particular plan.

Also shadows are not nearly as effective in real life as they are in Games.
Depends on how deep the shadow is

Alot of it is also base on the awareness of the person your hiding from, and most game with stealth base element have unreasonably thick AIs

Note that I said most

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I tried doing a 'ZA WARUDO!' in a nightclub. To my dismay, time did in fact not stop :(

Tried doing a Kamehameha (who didn't) and a bit of cheese fell out of my sleeve

Tried flying down my stairs like Superman and....yeah.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Walking silently while crouching is in fact harder than standing.

The key to walking silently, both crouching or standing, is to shift your weight gradually.

When done standing, you first shift your weight backwards, then move one foot forward with toes touching the ground first. Then gradually shift your weight to that foot, rise and repeat. When it's done fast you should look like a chicken moving.

This is much harder when crouching since it's harder to shift your weight in any direction. But it's still possible if you let the toes touch the ground first.