Have you ever wanted some type of accent?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Occasionally I like to imagine myself moving to the UK after I graduate, almost entirely because it would give me an excuse to start talking in a British accent all the time. Yeah, I'm sure everyone within earshot would immediately be able to tell it's a fake, but given the combination of constant practice and constant exposure, the prospect of eventually acquiring it is enough for the idea to remain tempting (in the same way abandoning the stresses of modern life to go live in the woods is sometimes tempting - e.g. not something you'll ever actually do).

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I'm American, and I would enjoy (in no particular order) a English, Scottish, or Australian accent.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I actually wish I had less of an accent so I could talk more clearly. I've been told I sound British before, though I've lived in Australia all my life, so I'd say mine is more of a less enthusiastic Australian accent.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
carlsberg export said:
not to go off topic but why are some of you guys so enthralled by our run of the mill, sometimes mistaken for Australian accent?
not that I'm complaining but after being told the fourth or fith time by some Californian stunners, that by rights shouldn't even be glancing your way, that
"oh my god your accent is sooo hot"
you tend to go a bit WTF!?

on topic I'm ok with my accent, wish I wasn't so softly spoken though.
I guess it's mainly due to how suave and elegant it sounds when mixed with a sophisticated vocabulary. That's just from me though, I can't speak for everyone else.

As for which accent I'd go for, I am in between North Yorkshire and Cockney. Either is good, really.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The one accent at the moment that is really beyond my capabilities is South African. Probably because I don't come across it much, except for Donovan Hock in ME2. But as far as speaking that way all the time, Irish would be quaint but I like my current accent.

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
I've got a fairly generic English accent that ranges between unplacable middle class and West country depending on how quickly I'm talking and what I'm saying, which I tend to exaggerate a bit to make myself sound more interesting.

Always thought that South African accents were cool as hell, though, so if I could change my voice, that's what I'd choose.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I'd like a russian accent . Nothing is more manly than a russian accent . Plus i'm black so that would be halarious .

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Well. Accent's are fun. :D

in my mothers tounge it is the more regional one, but since it is only a small region, the Sauerländian Accent get's quite often confused for Ruhrpott accent.

As in case of English, my accen't is quite weak, since I learned that Germans just have to try to pull off deep southeners to sound like everyone else. ;)

Works as long as I don't get pissed, the more angry I get, the more I would sound like a Character from Wolfenstein.

Rather annoying, but damn effective. :3

Oct 2, 2012
I'd like either some kind of Russian accent (any kind) or some sort of British accent (any kind, even the ones that are barely understandable).
I hate my native mishmash of accents, hell I just pretty much hate my voice.
:(

Darren Carrigan

Mar 6, 2012
Does having the voice of either:
Sean Connery
Brian Blessed or
Morgan Freeman count?

Event though I am Scottish

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
Always wanted a Cape Breton accent so I can do a flawless rendition of Barrat's Privateers.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Accents are subjective. Here in New England I have no accent because everyone talks the way I do. In California, people would comment on my occasional dropped R. In England, my speech would stick out like a sore thumb. Any time I want an accent, all I have to do is travel.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
No. I prefer to be clear and concise. Living in the midwestern U.S., people either have a southern hicksent or little to no accent at all. The people that can speak clear English without throwing in a "ya'll" tend to be more successful. Generally speaking, expanding one's vocabulary tends to weed out accent as proper pronunciation often requires a clarity not typical of thick accents.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
Dangit2019 said:
I'm American, and I would enjoy (in no particular order) a English, Scottish, or Australian accent.
No. No. No. You would not enjoy an Australian accent. You know that one that every American knows about from Crocodile Dundee and all that shit? That is almost non-existent amongst us. There are only 2 very real Australian accents, Bogan-talk (you sound like your vocabulary and education only went to the 3rd grade before you dropped out.) and international accents (different accents from all around the world because of our so called multiculturalism.)

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
I grew up in the mountains of Virginia and in South Carolina in the States so I had a terrible southern accent. I hated it. As soon as I joined the military I spent hours and hours trying to stop talking with one. I still fall back into it at times if I talk to my family. My wife who is from Southern California told me if I had talked like a southerner when she met me she would have never started to date me lol.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Depending on who you ask, I may or may not have an accent. To (most) Americans, I have that so-called "British" accent they hold so dear. It's really just a middle class generic Londoner's accent, which is odd considering I'm traditionally a Cockney. To fellow Londoners, I don't have an accent and to the rest of the country I sound "posh".

I can't say I'm happy with my accent, it's got me a lot of stick over the years. It's too common for my posh friends and too posh for my common friends. However, rather something as generic as my speaking voice than any other accent I can think of. Except perhaps German.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Oh the choices.... Probably Irish or Russian...

Can't remember, do the Scots have their own accent?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Wat da ja meen wud i laik som taip of akcent?
No, seriuosly, im not Russian, but ive been told i got a strong russian one, and i would love to get rid of it.

Remidns me of a video (cant find it now :() where a guy is walking down the street and a person comes up, tells him he came to the wrong neighboarhood. the guy answers in thi russian accent "what do you mean its bad neighboarhood" and everyone runs away form him.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
All the time when singing songs. For example, it's a bit jarring singing 'An Die Freude' with an accent anything other than German. In general, I'm partial to the Boston and New York accent.
krazykidd said:
I'd like a russian accent . Nothing is more manly than a russian accent . Plus i'm black so that would be halarious .
I lol'd.