Have you/family member/friend etc, ever suffered from a mental illness?

reithena

Sep 18, 2012
CrazyGirl17 said:
If we're talking about disorders, then I have Asperger's Syndrome, probably the only one with it in my family... well, other than a cousin with PP-DNOS. At least they diagnosed him when he was young, for me, I was diagnosed back when nobody knew what it was (nowadays, everyone and their cousin will claim to be autistic for one reason or another.)

Other than that, the only other person with a mental illness I'm aware of is my paternal grandmother, who's dealing with dementia. It's a scary thing, seeing her now and remembering who she used to be...
I can sympathize with the dementia. My grandmother died about 2 years ago after suffering with Multiple Sclerosis that deterioriate to the point of parlyzation and dementia. I really did see her wither away over my life. I can only hope that we made life as good as possible for her in the mean time...

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Boudica said:
I don't like how often people claim they actually have the disorder "depression." I think a lot of people consider being a genuinely melancholy person and/or being quite low at points actual depression. In reality, depression is a medically recognizable disorder wherein the brain doesn't make, use enough of or otherwise misuses certain key chemicals--serotonin being the common one.
Never have I encountered or heard about someone being diagnosed with depression by measuring their neurotransmitters. I don't even know if it can be done, as in whether there's a test available for it. But I'm no expert.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
J-meMalone said:
BOOM headshot65 said:
and if we have a daughter and I pull the "gun-cleaning" event when her boyfriend comes over for the first time, she wants to get in, with a knife/katana while I have my trenchgun w/ bayonet.($10 bucks says junior will be quaking when we are done with him, and wont even THINK of laying even a finger on my daughter in a suggestive way.)
What the hell did I just read? If you DO do this, I hope he reports you to the authorities, that's HORRIBLE!
Why, Im not doing anything except trying to scare him shit-less. Every guy where I grew up goes through it. The only reason I didnt is because my girlfriends family knew mine before we started dating[footnote]That didnt stop her dad from grabbing me by the arm and basically saying "If you do anything to my daughter, I will break your spine." This guy works on bulldozer engines for a living. *shudders*His arms look like logs ;_;[/footnote]. Hell, its a tradition that has been immortalized in Comedy [http://brucecameron.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63%3A8-simple-rules-for-dating-my-teenage-daughter&catid=35&Itemid=63], More Comedy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myd9TO_ZN4o], Song [jjO9kX4npVY], And even a Trope [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OverprotectiveDad] or two. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TwerpSweating] Its very much a rite of passage around here. Its for nothing other than scaring them into not rying anything. And you have to have nerves of steel to not be scared of This monster [http://home.earthlink.net/~sharpsshtr/TrenchGun/TrenchGun.jpg].

Zing said:
This might sound harsh but you really should not be having children with this attitude. Your child will end up with worse issues than you..

I say this only because I know how damaging this kind of attitude towards sex is(religion is so much fun to learn about as a child), especially for a child that is going to grow into a sexual being.
Who told you we were doing this out of religion. Because whoever told you that was lying. The reason is alot more secular then that, because we arent making them become any one religion.[footnote]To that end, we arent having them baptized. I can forsee my grandma and pastor giving me a hard time over this.[/footnote] No, the reason is that "No sex before marriage" is law to us. It will remain law as long as they live in our house on our money, and I have no doughts that my girlfriend/future wife would call her own daughter a slut if she was to have sex before she was married. Its really just a continuing of the rules we grew up under...her parents were even more strict than mine (and less religious even).

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
BOOM headshot65 said:
Who told you we were doing this out of religion. Because whoever told you that was lying. The reason is alot more secular then that, because we arent making them become any one religion.[footnote]To that end, we arent having them baptized. I can forsee my grandma and pastor giving me a hard time over this.[/url] No, the reason is that "No sex before marriage" is law to us. It will remain law as long as they live in our house on our money, and I have no doughts that my girlfriend/future wife would call her own daughter a slut if she was to have sex before she was married. Its really just a continuing of the rules we grew up under...her parents were even more strict than mine (and less religious even).
I never claimed you were doing it out of religion, the bracketed part is talking about my own experience.

I'm only talking about your general attitude towards sex. Since you claim you are Asexual I guess this is impossible for you to understand so I don't see how I can have a discussion with you, and I guess you can put some of this on me as well, because I find the concept of asexuality mind-boggling, I don't understand it at all. Human's are sexual beings, it is in (most) of our natures to reproduce.

No sex before marriage is not law, who told you this? Your house law? Why? Propriety? That's preposterous to me.

Unfortunately, I just come back to the fact that you, and your girlfriend, simply cannot understand the physical act of love due to your asexuality. It saddens me that someday you will instill these values in a child, and that you freely admit your girlfriend would call your daughter a slut is pretty frightening.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Anxiety Disorders are very, very common. I have one myself in fact, been taking medication for it for over a year now and it's basically eliminated it as a serious problem.

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
I don't know if I have an anxiety disorder, but I do often spend a good ten minutes or so literally pulling my socks up in a delaying tactic when I have to go somewhere, unless it's really, really important. Can take 15 minutes to go the shops, despite the fact I can see them from my window.

Confirmed mental disorders are dyspraxia and dyscalculia. I deal with the first by just not caring what other people think, and the latter by avoiding the hell out of maths. I don't carry pennies or anything, I used pound coins and notes for buying things, or a card, that way I never have to count. That said it's gotten better as I became a Teaching Assistant, so I was confronted with maths daily. You learn shit fast when you have to teach it.

Aunt had dementia, numerous family members had and still slip back into depression. Nothing much I can do about either, or in my aunts case could.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Boudica said:
I'm talking about people simply feeling low, being a generally apathetic person, going through a dark and difficult period in their life, and claiming they have the medically defined depression disorder. I personally find it devalues the term if people do this without seeing a psychologist and/or psychiatrist (more than once a number of years ago). It's also somewhat offensive to me, as I personally suffer from depression and have been on medication for quite a while.

I didn't mean to imply any sort of medical test. I was just explaining what depression actually is as a medical condition, rather than the mood of being depressed. That's all :)
I can understand that. Though it may not have been entirely necessary to the topic at hand which is why Blood Brain Barrier felt the need to comment on it.

I think many people actually do know the difference between actually suffering from depression and simply going through a rough patch or something. Most people in this thread seem to anyway. I know I personally can't think of anyone I know that I would say just tends to be a bit down but tries to play it up for sympathy or anything like that. Not that that never happens of course since anecdotal evidence is next to worthless. :)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
That doesn't surprise me about yahtzee.

My mother has anxiety and several of my family have/had depression at some point. Other then that I'm not sure if any have something worse.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
I have Bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and OCD. To feel so happy that you feel like you can fly, and so depressed that you wish you were dead should be a new circle of hell that should be reserved only for serial rapist who can only get it hard when their victims are on fire, and it gets even worse when these things start teaming up, so I'll be cycling through the entire emotional spectrum in about two minutes, while feverishly cleaning my room, and being freaked about something, but I don't know what I'm freaked out about so that'll freak me out even more, and the fact that I'm freaked out more is freaking me out, and exasperating my Bipolar which exasperates my OCD, and then because I'm Hypoglycemic my blood sugar starts plunging which makes me freak out even more, which FUCK ME! THANK God for Xanax! Seriously I'm getting freaked out just thinking about this shit.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Boudica said:
I'm talking about people simply feeling low, being a generally apathetic person, going through a dark and difficult period in their life, and claiming they have the medically defined depression disorder. I personally find it devalues the term if people do this without seeing a psychologist and/or psychiatrist (more than once a number of years ago). It's also somewhat offensive to me, as I personally suffer from depression and have been on medication for quite a while.

I didn't mean to imply any sort of medical test. I was just explaining what depression actually is as a medical condition, rather than the mood of being depressed. That's all :)
I can understand that. Though it may not have been entirely necessary to the topic at hand which is why Blood Brain Barrier felt the need to comment on it.

I think many people actually do know the difference between actually suffering from depression and simply going through a rough patch or something. Most people in this thread seem to anyway. I know I personally can't think of anyone I know that I would say just tends to be a bit down but tries to play it up for sympathy or anything like that. Not that that never happens of course since anecdotal evidence is next to worthless. :)
Well it's an important issue Boudica raised because it's something that I think the general population has issues with - thinking that, like one American politician recently suggested is the case with rape, that there is a 'legitimate' depression and a 'non-legitimate' depression. As I see it, if you're feeling low that's depression. There's no line to cross because there's no clinical test for measuring serotonin levels. No one can tell your feelings but you so no one else can tell you if your depression is legitimate.

That is unchanged no matter the medical explanation. Some people may react strongly to a small chemical change in the body, others not at all. If there are other explanations the same applies.

Feb 22, 2009
I was thought to have Asperger's syndrome when I was in primary school, but it was never officially diagnosed and honestly I think I'm just socially awkward and occasionally a bit obsessive, don't think it's serious enough to be that. I have friends and relatives with dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, epilepsy, all kinds of stuff really. All seem fairly normal for the most part and none of it's really too serious.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Boudica said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Vivi22 said:
Boudica said:

Well it's an important issue Boudica raised because it's something that I think the general population has issues with - thinking that, like one American politician recently suggested is the case with rape, that there is a 'legitimate' depression and a 'non-legitimate' depression. As I see it, if you're feeling low that's depression. There's no line to cross because there's no clinical test for measuring serotonin levels. No one can tell your feelings but you so no one else can tell you if your depression is legitimate.
Well, the medical term "depression" is different from being depressed, and that's the problem. See, depression is caused by a defect in the brain's behavior, whereas feeling low or being depressed is caused by things like poor grades, social issues, being bored, family problems, etc.

So while I wouldn't brush aside someone feeling depressed (being sad or depressed is never a good thing, for anyone, ever) there is a very big difference between actual depression as a disorder of the brain and being sad. If you have depression, you simply cannot overcome it without therapy and/or medication, as your brain is legitimately in error. If you're feeling low or apathetic, it is still quite possible to cheer up. "Cheering up" is virtually impossible when suffering depression, because your brain literally cannot.

One is disorder, an error, a problem of the brain, and one is a mood, an emotion and a situation. The important difference is how they are approached and making sure people with genuine depressive disorders are given help that they really do need and given the tools to function with their uniquely unlucky brain. People that are simply depressed can and should be listened to, to find out why, and assisted in getting happy again.
I disagree with this etiology. The brain can have structural defects, but I would think what we call depression is caused by an unreasonable expectation of the individual by society. There's no defect in the brain's behavior. When an individual is genetically designed to operate within a certain framework and a culture demands that she things outside that framework - go to school, memorise huge amounts of information, get little exercise or sunshine and sleep for less than the body requires, and then punishes her if she doesn't, it's no surprise that depression results. That's the brain operating perfectly, telling us we should change things. In most cases, not all. If you place a wild animal in a cage and it gets depressed you wouldn't say it's a problem with its brain, so why humans?

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I've been dealing with depression for much of my life.
And for a very short period, I struggled with a form of mild schizophrenia.
That last one is gone now. Thankfully.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I had two butterflies come up to me the other day, one was blue, the other...red, I think. It is a bit hazy.

I mean, it is a bit hazy.

One, two, three butterflies. No there was only two, a blue one and a orange one. The blue one had the voice of an old man. He said "A penny for your thougts?". I found that a queer thing to say. Was the butterfly insulting me? ME? I value nothing more in this world then my thoughts, yet this blue butterfly thinks they are worth a penny. I crushed the insect in my...ummm...hands. That will teach him or her. Old man butterfly.

The other one, the red one. I said to it, "What say you?". It only stood there. No it flapped, because it was not on the ground, making standing unlikely. Unless they can stand on the air, as if the air is the ground. Why then would it flap? At the time I thought I would google it later, but realising now I have not done this yet.

Anyway, it or she did not respond. I got angry, but then not. I realised the orange butterfly was a normal butterfly and normal ones don't speek..*speak*..but....but...then I got angry again, because I don't like normal things, normal things. Normal was a bad word I would curse to myself when the sick flooded my darkness.

I cried for I crushed the wrong fly. An insult doesn't affect me as much as being normal does. I made a mistake that day, my list. A list. I would add that mistake to my list.

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
Mmm, on my mothers side we have depression, bi-polar, uni-polar, ocd, insomnia and alcoholism. On my Dads side we have a couple of ex heroin addicts. Studies have been done on my mothers side of the family because of the high rate of mental illness. Still, I'm still alive so that's a positive and we're yet to have a death related to these things which, quite frankly, is a miracle. Silver linings, yay!

*EDIT* Oh yeah, me. I've had problems with depression for as long as I can remember, insomnia too. There was also a time where I checked enough boxes to be diagnosed with schizophrenia but I'm fairly certain that was just a stress thing so it doesn't bother me too much. It did at the time, various hallucinations along with anxiety attacks aren't fun but I haven't had one of those episodes in ages. Another silver lining, no more sober hallucinations!