Have you heard of... Rise of Nations

omgeveryone9

Jan 25, 2013
Man, this game gave me memories, had the gold edition and remembered trying to do New World campaign with cheats (as the Dutch). Has anyone played this game before, because I heard that it won a game of the year 2003 or something similar.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Yep. We liked it but neither I or my brother have the time to sit through the 1 hour long battles due to education/other games.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Yep, I've heard of it. Got the gold edition of it as a present way-back-when. It was alright. I never really played it a whole lot, but I recall having a lot of fun with that game-mode where you battle for countries on a world-map, getting little playing card looking consumable things that gave bonuses for future levels. It functioned kinda like a board game.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I loved the hell outta that game. Really wish that game had a true sequel that improved upon the conquer the world campaigns because those were fantastic.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Played it a long time ago.

Probably have the disc somewhere around here...

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
It was a lot of fun and is still floating around here somewhere. Rise of Legends was different, but highly enjoyable as well.

The music of both games was memorable and of an admirably high level of quality. I remember that this would greet me whenever I started up the launcher:

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Yeah I installed it not too long back and had a good old skirmish or two. It's really hard >.<

Paflick

May 26, 2011
Yep. Still have it on my hard drive somewhere, actually. Gold edition.

Love that game so much; every now and then I'll get back in and play a couple battles before letting it sink back to the C Drive.

I played Rise of Legends as well, but wasn't too fond of it.

Paladin2905

Sep 1, 2011
Hell yes; had three separate copies back in the day to play LAN games with my father and brother. Always loved how as the game progressed you needed to fight for completely different resources. Made for a great multiplayer experience.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Damn straight I have. One of my favorite RTS's. I was never able to get into the more fast-paced RTS's like Starcraft, I loved being able to build my own civilization, building-by-building, city-by-city in a slow yet still well-paced time frame. It was kind of like Civilization in that respect, but it played a lot like Age of Empires in terms of mechanics, which I like a lot better. However, Age of Empires would always focus on the development and progress of just one age, whereas with Rise of Nations, you could start at your nation's earliest beginnings and work your way all the way to the modern age.

Overall, damn good game. I'd give it another playthrough if I still had the disk.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I seem to have memories of one of the first PC games I played being a demo for Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends...

I remember desert and huge dragon-worm things, I think.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Heck, the disk is still in my CD drive. Just started re-playing it, and it's still an okay experience.
The battles are a little lackluster (and harder difficulties just turn into spam fests with the computer), though I like the majority of things about it.
I am currently running a Tougher difficulty as the 'Mericans. Unfortunately, it's round three, so my marines haven't kicked in yet.

I find it amusing how the Americans have a military-industrial complex, as they receive additional income for each military unit they have in the field.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Such a good game, cheats made it a laugh. When you can spawn 10 machine gun units at your base in the first age, or insta-build all the army you'll ever need within the first second of the match (love start game paused). Or just nuke everything simultaneously.