Having an Open but Critical Mind. RE: Atlas Shrugged

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Arakasi said:
You're saying people have no choice in what they do?
Arakasi said:
Well, that was a poor choice wasn't it.
Hate to butt in on this debate here, but aren't you the fellow that doesn't believe in free will? Would seem that you're arguing with the assumption that free will does exist here.

edit: on topic, not a fan of rand or 'objectivism' in practice. I could see how objectivism would work if happiness for everyone included looking out for their fellow man, but sadly, that is not reality.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Jux said:
Arakasi said:
You're saying people have no choice in what they do?
Arakasi said:
Well, that was a poor choice wasn't it.
Hate to butt in on this debate here, but aren't you the fellow that doesn't believe in free will? Would seem that you're arguing with the assumption that free will does exist here.

edit: on topic, not a fan of rand or 'objectivism' in practice. I could see how objectivism would work if happiness for everyone included looking out for their fellow man, but sadly, that is not reality.
Valid point, but you still have choice within a system without Free Will, you simply aren't ultimately responsible for it. That still doesn't mean that someone else should be responsible for your choice though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Arakasi said:
Ayn Rand said:
Philosophical knowledge is necessary in order to define human perfection. But I do not care to stop at the definition. I want to use it, to apply it - in my work; (in my personal life, too - but the core, center and purpose of my whole life, is my work).
Ah, I've seen that quote before, and every time I do, I can only think of the silliness of trying to "define perfection".
It's like trying to find the end of an infinite series.

need4snacks

Aug 4, 2011
Sknib said:
So, here's my question: What things have you liked or disliked that you think didn't get a fair judgement? Do you try to judge without prejudice? Can one judge without prejudice?
There are probably a million things I've written off too easily.

I try my best to judge without prejudice.

I don't think it's possible.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Arakasi said:
Valid point, but you still have choice within a system without Free Will, you simply aren't ultimately responsible for it. That still doesn't mean that someone else should be responsible for your choice though.
Who should be responsible for it then?

I've always been of the mind that a society should be judged on how it treats it's most vulnerable members. A system that is at its core adversarial rather than cooperative does not seem like a system that takes care of its own.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Jux said:
Arakasi said:
Who should be responsible for it then?

I've always been of the mind that a society should be judged on how it treats it's most vulnerable members. A system that is at its core adversarial rather than cooperative does not seem like a system that takes care of its own.
Either no one, and nothing can happen as a result, or the person remains in our eyes responsible and we can do something about it.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
I refuse to justify my beliefs at the moment on the internet but I would like to say that Atlas Shrugged took me down a path towards the Libertarian beliefs I hold today. It helped me realize that what I value most was(liberty) and guided me onto the political path I am at today.