Having Issues with Civilization VI Locking Up While Loading? Here's an Easy Fix

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Having Issues with Civilization VI Locking Up While Loading? Here's an Easy Fix

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357854.jpgIf Civilization VI is locking up for you while loading, there's an easy fix.

Civilization VI has had a pretty smooth launch, with just some minor issues popping up here and there. But there is one pretty annoying bug that's been reported a few places - the game sometimes takes forever to load, or doesn't load at all. If you've encountered this annoying issue, here's some good news: it's easy to fix.

Apparently the issue arises because of a conflict with anti-virus programs - specifically Windows Defender on Windows 10. One option would be to disable the program, but that's not recommended - especially if Windows Defender is your only anti-virus protection.

Instead of turning it off, you can just add an exception for Civ VI. Here's how you do it:

Click Start, then choose Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender
Scroll down until see "Exclusions"
Click "Add an Exclusion" and then "Exclude a Folder"
Make your way to your Civ VI folder and exclude it. The typical folder will be C:program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonSid Meier's Civilization VI

That's it! If you've been having this issue, these steps should alleviate the problem. If you're having other issues with Civ VI, let us know what they are in the forums!

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
oh yeah it worked. Civ 6 worked perfectly fine the first 3 days, then, it seems to freeze while loading. but it wasnt actually frozen. the game did load, after 45 minutes. checking the file integrity was marking a whooping 21 days before completion.

i did the windows defender thing, and now the game is running smootly

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I solved it by refunding the game... just kidding, but I did get a refund for the game. It's way to slow compared to the older games. The early stages through to around 8 or 9 cities can be blown through no problem in the old games but this game just seems to take forever. Then you have the dumb as a brick AI and when I say dumb I mean this dumb

France declares war on me
England declares war on me in the same turn no reason, no border issues, we aren't even close to each other and in terms of tech and military we are pretty much equal.

So as I would expect nothing happens for a good 30 or so turns, I keep doing what I am doing and they don't do anything.

France then contacts me and offers a peace deal and offers to pay ME a per turn fee to accept the offer of peace
England then 2 turns later does the same thing, offers ME peace and a per turn fee to accept

I accept and wonder what the hell the AI is up too

I build my first World Wonder the Oracle two turns later China denounces me because, and this one made me laugh, I have more World Wonders than they do

25 turns pass and France decides to declare War on me again

I sigh and decide this is stupid even by Civ standards of AI and ask for a refund.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Laughing Man said:
I solved it by refunding the game... just kidding, but I did get a refund for the game. It's way to slow compared to the older games. The early stages through to around 8 or 9 cities can be blown through no problem in the old games but this game just seems to take forever. Then you have the dumb as a brick AI and when I say dumb I mean this dumb

France declares war on me
England declares war on me in the same turn no reason, no border issues, we aren't even close to each other and in terms of tech and military we are pretty much equal.

So as I would expect nothing happens for a good 30 or so turns, I keep doing what I am doing and they don't do anything.

France then contacts me and offers a peace deal and offers to pay ME a per turn fee to accept the offer of peace
England then 2 turns later does the same thing, offers ME peace and a per turn fee to accept

I accept and wonder what the hell the AI is up too

I build my first World Wonder the Oracle two turns later China denounces me because, and this one made me laugh, I have more World Wonders than they do

25 turns pass and France decides to declare War on me again

I sigh and decide this is stupid even by Civ standards of AI and ask for a refund.
Did you set the difficulty to "minutes after huffing paint"?

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Did MS update Win10 Defender and suddenly it has issues with a single game ? Or did Take2 not bother to check if the game actually ran properly on Win 10 with Defender active ?
I don't personally have defender running, I have another security suite active, but isn't it rather daft to not check for a utility that comes by default with the new flagship MS OS ?
I mean its like making a web page and not checking if Edge/Explorer displayed it properly, can result in you looking rather inept.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
ASnogarD said:
Did MS update Win10 Defender and suddenly it has issues with a single game ? Or did Take2 not bother to check if the game actually ran properly on Win 10 with Defender active ?
I don't personally have defender running, I have another security suite active, but isn't it rather daft to not check for a utility that comes by default with the new flagship MS OS ?
I mean its like making a web page and not checking if Edge/Explorer displayed it properly, can result in you looking rather inept.
i guess it was an update, because the first two days my game worked properly, but all the suddent, sunday night, it was stuck with that trouble

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
ASnogarD said:
It was definitely Civ that updated for me, not Windows. It also caused some problem where it insisted on selecting Intel Graphics rather than NVidia as the GPU, causing my framerate to plummet.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Yeah, Civ updated and then the game stopped loading, I don't think it's Windows Defender's fault, but I shut it off just in case. Didn't even know it was a thing.