Having issues with my computer...

ImForReal

Sep 7, 2009
Hi! As the title says I have problems with my computer. It crashes randomly from time to time, firefox crashes like 15 times/hour, and when I transfer files using different mediums the files never end up complete (they are almost always corrupt). I tracked down the problem to be one of my RAMs. I have 3 "OCZ Platinum 2048MB DDR3 PC3-10666" on my "M4A785TD-M EVO ASUS" motherboard. When I removed slot B1 ,(there are slots A1, A2, B1 and B2) and only kept the ones in A1 and A2 the crashes stopped completely. Thinking it was the RAM module i removed that was the problem, I bought a new one. I plugged it in (slot B1) and now the crashes are back. I realize it has something to do with the RAM modules, But my knowledge stretches no farther than this.

Is there some sort of compatability issue with these components or what?
Any help is appreciated!

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
It could be the actual slot that you are plugging the ram into that is defective. I actually had the same problem, (although not with Firefox) where my computer would crash randomly to a blue screen. I removed one of the modules and it worked again. I didn't put it back in and it works fine now.

Just to troubleshoot was the new RAM that you purchased the exact same model? Have you tried placing the new RAM in a different slot to the one the defective RAM was in? And lastly what OS do you have?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I agree, it really sounds more like the slot than the RAM itself. Try putting the old RAM module into A1 or A2, and see if the crashes continue.