Hazbin Hotel returns with a new music video.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So for those that don't know Hazbin Hotel is a crowdfunded indie animated series headed by Vizziepop about Charlie, a demon in hell who sets up a hotel to reform the souls in hell and aid with the over crowding... Its actually easier if I just link shit.

New music video.

Pilot episode.

Side series

You're welcome, have some animation goodness.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I will say this, the new video feels a lot cleaner than the pilot. Part of this is probably due to focus. They're telling one specific story (maybe two closely intertwined ones, depending on how you're looking at it), and have to make every moment count when they're trying to tell it in the space of a song. But it's also the fundamentals. In the pilot the backgrounds were busy, chaotic, moving, and there was no clear indication where you were supposed to focus, and the foreground was frequently moving too quickly to actually comprehend the scene. For instance, in its "Inside of Every Demon is a Rainbow" number, there was actually a moment where there were literally seven scene changes in three seconds.

I say this because I don't have any of these problems with the Addict video. The scenes are clean, easily understandable and better paced. The song's catchy, and the visual storytelling simply works. So yeah, props to the team and I hope that these improvements stick as they move forward.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh, I think I heard this song from Silva Hound before it was a music video.

I'm sure he was a musician before MLP, but y'all probably can thank MLP for Silva Hound. Without it, he probably wouldn't have been the same

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Oh, I think I heard this song from Silva Hound before it was a music video.
Entirely possible. Per the video description on Youtube: "Thank you Silva for creating this amazing fansong and allowing us to bring it to life!! I hope you all enjoy this deeper peek into Angel Dust, -and please look forward to BIG NEWS about HAZBIN HOTEL real soon!! Thank you everyone who has supported the project so far, stay tuned!!'

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I will say this, the new video feels a lot cleaner than the pilot. Part of this is probably due to focus. They're telling one specific story (maybe two closely intertwined ones, depending on how you're looking at it), and have to make every moment count when they're trying to tell it in the space of a song. But it's also the fundamentals. In the pilot the backgrounds were busy, chaotic, moving, and there was no clear indication where you were supposed to focus, and the foreground was frequently moving too quickly to actually comprehend the scene. For instance, in its "Inside of Every Demon is a Rainbow" number, there was actually a moment where there were literally seven scene changes in three seconds.

I say this because I don't have any of these problems with the Addict video. The scenes are clean, easily understandable and better paced. The song's catchy, and the visual storytelling simply works. So yeah, props to the team and I hope that these improvements stick as they move forward.
I think its mostly because they have their production pipeline figured out. You can really see the seems in the pilot from how things are put together but even in Helluva Boss, things are put together smoother.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I very much look forward to the next episode. The pilot was lots of fun and gave me plenty of laughs, and I really enjoy the new music video. I just hope they flesh out a few of the characters rather quickly. Alastor and Angel were the most enjoyable in my opinion, but I wouldn't mind seeing similar personality and fun in everyone else

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
God it's that Tumblr piece of crap my girlfriend is obsessed with. Can you even call it a series? It's one pilot, crowdfunded ages ago, and 99% fanwanking.

Last edited:

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Can you even call it a series? It's one pilot, crowdfunded ages ago, and 99% fanwanking.
A24 picked it up, so it's going to end up on some streaming service or another, eventually. Most likely Netflix or HBO.

Also, there's an after-credits scene in the Addict video, in case anyone missed it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
God it's that Tumblr piece of crap my girlfriend is obsessed with. Can you even call it a series? It's one pilot, crowdfunded ages ago, and 99% fanwanking.
You should tell your gf that she is too good for you and she should break up with you after slapping you.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
While I suppose Johnny Novgorod could have been nicer about it, he's not exactly wrong either.

I thought that the pilot was super fun and I look forward to more episodes but it's a lot easier to have super high quality things when you're working on Valve time. While what they have released has been good, that's a lot easier when you release one episode every fifty years (give or take) through donated funding (so no "shareholders" or higher ups to be accountable to).

When it starts getting more of a scheduled release, I'll certainly keep an eye on it and give it a chance. I'm just curious to see if they can actually keep up the high quality once they have a "normal" release schedule rather than being able to just kick them out at whatever pace they choose.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
He has every right to voice his opinion on it. No one made you to come in here and be a dick about it.
And I have every right to call him out on it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
When it starts getting more of a scheduled release, I'll certainly keep an eye on it and give it a chance. I'm just curious to see if they can actually keep up the high quality once they have a "normal" release schedule rather than being able to just kick them out at whatever pace they choose.
Considering it was picked up, we shall have to see if they can maintain quality. The pilot was good if flawed by some wonky scene cuts and animation dips, but I think the addict video shows what they can do with their production pipeline figured out. But, time will tell if the company that picked it up will mess with that.

Reactions: tippy2k2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You should tell your gf that she is too good for you and she should break up with you after slapping you.
I get that you're passionate about the show, but ignore Johnny. If he wants to act like a baby about it, that is his pathetic problem. He made similar dickwad comments about RWBY. Calling the show, "loli bait", when it ain't even close tot that. Considering that one, most of the characters are mid-late teens or adults, and two, said characters actually age and are either in their late teens by season 6 or turned 20. And three, the series barely has any fan service. By season 4 and beyond, there is really no "typical anime fan-service". I say this, and I am not even a fan of RWBY. I do admit to liking the fan fic cross over with Doom though.

I've seen the pilot to Hazbin and it's okay, but I am glad the show has a following and wish the best of luck to the creators and staff. I've heard of Helluva Boss, but never watched outside of clips from Double Toasted's reviews. I know Zim's voice actor is in it.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I get that you're passionate about the show, but ignore Johnny. If he wants to act like a baby about it, that is his pathetic problem. He made similar dickwad comments about RWBY. Calling the show, "loli bait", when it ain't even close tot that. Considering that one, most of the characters are mid-late teens or adults, and two, said characters actually age and are either in their late teens by season 6 or turned 20. And three, the series barely has any fan service. By season 4 and beyond, there is really no "typical anime fan-service". I say this, and I am not even a fan of RWBY. I do admit to liking the fan fic cross over with Doom though.

I've seen the pilot to Hazbin and it's okay, but I am glad the show has a following and wish the best of luck to the creators and staff. I've heard of Helluva Boss, but never watched outside of clips from Double Toasted's reviews. I know Zim's voice actor is in it.
Yeah, I seem to recall him pulling that kinda thing before, which just furthers my thinking that his gf is too good for him. But, I also wanted a reason to push this thread again too, so two birds with one stone.

That is kinda my thinking on it also, I liked it, but the pilot has enough issues that I'm more excited to see what they do with it rather than what it is. Like I think the Addict music video is amazing, I think it really shows what they can do with their production pipeline sorted out. I did enjoy Helluva Boss, but it does kinda feel like its trying a bit too hard, still though, want to see where it goes, but it is only like 11 minutes, give it a shot.