HBO GO Coming to PlayStation Platforms

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
HBO GO Coming to PlayStation Platforms

Sony has confirmed HBO GO is coming to PS3, with the PS4 version soon to follow.

At the Buzzfeed Brews event [http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedbrews] in New York, HBO CEO Richard Plepler has confirmed that the HBO GO app will be coming to PlayStation platforms, with the app first set to hit the PlayStation 3 at an unspecified date, and the PS4 version soon to follow.

HBO GO, which originally launched in January 2008, is the successor of HBO on Broadband and allows users with an HBO subscription to watch unlimited, on-demand access to HBO programming using phones and tablets. Currently, it's still unknown whether the HBO GO PlayStation app will be locked behind the PlayStation Plus pay-wall on the PS4; but given that most social/entertainment apps are free on PlayStation platforms, chances are high it won't be the same as its Xbox Live counterpart.

Speaking of HBO programming, make sure you watch the first official preview of Game of Thrones' fourth season [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131247-Game-of-Thrones-Season-Four-Gets-First-Official-Trailer] -- provided you're already done with Season 3, that is.

As a big Game of Thrones fan, the prospect of playing a PS4 game and switching to the PS4 HBO GO app to watch the latest developments in King's Landing has me quite excited, I admit. Is this something PlayStation fans are interested in or would you rather it come to the PlayStation Vita first?

Source: PS Blog [http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedbrews]

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Will I be able to use the App?

I live outside of North America and I can't use HBO GO on HBO's website, so I'd appreciate this alternative, or I can just continue to pirate Newsroom, Game of Thrones, Girls, True Detective, Boardwalk Empire and Bill Maher until there is an alternative, preferably legal, method?

It would be nice to not be apart of the statistics that say that Australians are the heaviest piraters of HBO shows but seriously, HBO makes the best shows TV has to offer but gives us no way to watch it until it comes out on DVD/Bluray which HBO infamously takes forever releasing; or we could loan it on Quickflix (we don't have Netflix but we do have a cheap alternative.)

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
With a new season of GoT only months away, I want to be excited about this news. If I can finally get HBO go via console without a cable subscription, I'll be over the moon.

Good looking out, sony!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
This is nice and all but can we please get a Youtube App for the PS4 already? the browser is useless in the system!

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
If I'm already subscribed to HBO, why would I use this shit app? I'll just use my satellite's on demand function and watch through a much more stable delivery method in high definition.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
This is neat and great and all but if I still need a subscription to HBO then it does me no good. I'd happily sit through adds to be able to watch various original HBO content. I've yet to see a single episode of GoT and I very much would like to.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
balladbird said:
With a new season of GoT only months away, I want to be excited about this news. If I can finally get HBO go via console without a cable subscription, I'll be over the moon.

Good looking out, sony!
HBO Go is, last I knew, ONLY available to HBO subscribers. If you don't have cable, you're SOL.

antidonkey said:
This is neat and great and all but if I still need a subscription to HBO then it does me no good. I'd happily sit through adds to be able to watch various original HBO content. I've yet to see a single episode of GoT and I very much would like to.
Hell, I'd pay a subscription for access. I just won't pay a subscription to a cable station where I need to pay a hundred dollars for the package underneath it for TV I don't watch.

Fortunately, I've got the first two seasons of GoT on BD now.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
antigodoflife said:

I live outside of North America and I can't use HBO GO on HBO's website, so I'd appreciate this alternative, or I can just continue to pirate Newsroom, Game of Thrones, Girls, True Detective, Boardwalk Empire and Bill Maher until there is an alternative, preferably legal, method?

It would be nice to not be apart of the statistics that say that Australians are the heaviest piraters of HBO shows but seriously, HBO makes the best shows TV has to offer but gives us no way to watch it until it comes out on DVD/Bluray which HBO infamously takes forever releasing; or we could loan it on Quickflix (we don't have Netflix but we do have a cheap alternative.)
I feel your pain dude! Living in the UK the only legit way of viewing it is to be have a sub to sky TV unfortunately i live with my folks who have a sub to another cable provider.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
You still need a cable subscription though right? And that still isn't available outside NA right?

If that's the case HBO can GTFO as far as I'm concerned. I really wanna watch Game of Thrones but if they're gonna make it so difficult then fuck em.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
Darth Sea Bass said:
antigodoflife said:

I feel your pain dude! Living in the UK the only legit way of viewing it is to be have a sub to sky TV unfortunately i live with my folks who have a sub to another cable provider.
And me as well. As a UK national living outside UK (Germany) I can't get Sky stuff, or even iPlayer or Netflix! Honestly trying to watch GoT here in good quality is a nightmare. I wish it would just go on iTunes or something!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Get with the times HBO. If you're going to offer people a streaming service, let them buy it without having to go through the fucking cable company.
WWE is launching their version of Netflix/Hulu complete with live broadcasts of their Pay-Per-View shows for $9.99/month plus original content and their normal RAW/Smackdown! shows, and you don't need to have a cable tv sub to get it. Works on everything from Android to PS3/360 and probably the PS4 and XB1. That right there is how you do it. It may come with a 6 month commitment but still $60 for all their content plus pay-per-views (which usually go for $49-69 on cable)... Thats a smart move HBO and you could learn a lot from WWE.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The only thing that would make me use HBO service is if they made an online store/streaming front that allows me to buy individual shows, globally (because im on one of those countries where all other streaming services dont even bother, sigh).
More more stupid region locked subscription model BS. Seriuosly, why are those companies want to treat us like its the 50s?