HBO Streaming finally launched...onto its face.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
They called it HBO NOW.

Unfortunately, you have to buy it through Apple, or through Optimum Cable provider (you have to have Optimum Cable Service to buy it). So, if you thought you would be able to just do a Netflix-esque subscription thing, heh, nope. No streaming to your Smart TV. No Android Browsing.

If you can get it, or are willing to deal with the iTunes store, or if you have an iOS device, subscription through Apple or Optimum is at $14.99.

-Link removed by Mod

What do you all think about this?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well that went from a great idea to virtually worthless. Such a shame since we know Thrones is a HUGE pirate draw and this could have really helped them cut into that.

I'm not going to pay for cable for the opportunity to pay them to watch Thrones and in today's world, I imagine many of us feel the same. I'm fortunate that my Mum has HBO so I can wander to her house if I want to watch Thrones but I imagine I'm in the minority when it comes to an option like that...

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Yeah. The Apple exclusivity for three months is pretty stupid. Even more that you still need to get a provider to use it. Why not just a flat fee to stream it? Wasn't that the plain anyways?

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Wait, what the hell? I'm pretty sure I've had an HBO streaming service (HBO Nordic) that functions almost exactly like netflix (with worse interface) for almost half a year now. What is the difference between this and what I have?

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Unfortunately, only available in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland. >.< The US and the rest of Europe have been waiting for something like this, only to have to deal with additional restrictions. (sigh)

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Atrocious Joystick said:
Wait, what the hell? I'm pretty sure I've had an HBO streaming service (HBO Nordic) that functions almost exactly like netflix (with worse interface) for almost half a year now. What is the difference between this and what I have?
Well I believe this service is for the US right now, so perhaps HBO made that service for a smaller portion of their market to get their feet wet in the streaming world. So the difference would be the service you have is sort of a 1.0 version of what HBO just launched in the US.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Huh, and now I know. I thought HBO Nordic was just the nordic version of some global thing. I figured there would be like HBO Australia, HBO Europe, etc. That's real odd, for an american cable network to release a streaming service exclusively to Scandinavia (plus Finland). It's even odder that our version is just a subscription that you fill out online (and can cancel anytime) and yours seems to have a bunch of restrictions for no reason.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Atrocious Joystick said:
Huh, and now I know. I thought HBO Nordic was just the nordic version of some global thing. I figured there would be like HBO Australia, HBO Europe, etc. That's real odd, for an american cable network to release a streaming service exclusively to Scandinavia (plus Finland). It's even odder that our version is just a subscription that you fill out online (and can cancel anytime) and yours seems to have a bunch of restrictions for no reason.
Well, to be fair, the restrictions are there for a reason. Sure, that reason may be that Apple paid HBO a shitload of money for timed exclusivity (just long enough for the new season of Game of Thrones!), but it's still a reason.