Hbomberguy's Donkey Kong 64 charity stream.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
So you're probably wondering why I'm making a post about a charity stream? They happen all the time and this guy doesn't seem that big. Well the story behind it and what happened in it is incredible. (strap yourself in this is it going to be a wild ride)

First some background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIM-GKRS9Vk

Apparently an organization called Mermaids (Which is an organization that help trans kids and spreads awareness of transgender people) was denied donations from the National lottery by a campaign from a British writer I have no idea exists called Graham Lineham.

Hbomberguy was not happy about this transphobic writer stopping money from going to children so he decided to make his own stream with Blackjack and hookers to raise money for transgender kids.

The stream was shooting for 3k. It is now at 340k.

It also has some minor guest. You may have made out of heard of them

CEO of Mermaids, Susie Green
Jim Motherfucking Sterling, Son
game developer John Romero, (you know one of the creators of Doom)
Grant Kirkhope, the famous composer for Rare and other games.
Josh Sawyer, director of Fallout: New Vegas
Mara Wilson a famous actress
and most shockingly a Democratic Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
(I've also heard Jack black wanted to be on the stream)

also giving support from Matthew Mercer, Cher, Neil Gaiman, and Liam Robertson retweeting the stream.

So yeah Fuck you Graham Lineham
https://techraptor.net/content/streamer-hbomberguy-raises-230000-trans-charity
https://www.twitch.tv/hbomberguy

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Looked up that Graham Linehan guy. Apparently he's one of the creators of Father Ted, Black Books and The IT Crowd. And also quite vocal in his opposition to transgender issues, including at one point comparing transgender activists to nazis [https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/13/father-ted-creator-graham-linehan-compares-trans-activists-nazis-8243867/], among other rather tasteless stuff.

Also, Hbomberguy isn't just streaming DK64, he's going for 101% completion. I mean, godspeed on that brave man.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Saw the very first bit of the stream, but had places to do and things to people so couldn't hang around for the surprise guests unfortunately. Upon return, was a pleasant surprise to see it kicked off so well. To hear Jim Sterling, Owen Jones and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (can someone make her president already please? She might not be old, male, orange or wearing the unsettling smile of a sociopath, but she got the firey soul and passion for a lot of positive change) all sharing the same space for the cause is a rare moment indeed and am sad to have missed it, but its' success is most important to embrace. That Graham dude unintentionally inspired his own defeat.
Chimpzy said:
Looked up that Graham Linehan guy. Apparently he's one of the creators of Father Ted, Black Books and The IT Crowd. And also quite vocal in his opposition to transgender issues, including at one point comparing transgender activists to nazis [https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/13/father-ted-creator-graham-linehan-compares-trans-activists-nazis-8243867/], among other rather tasteless stuff.

Also, Hbomberguy isn't just streaming DK64, he's going for 101% completion. I mean, godspeed on that brave man.
Ohh, that's what some person meant by a comment along the lines of 'just cause he wrote some funny things at one point, it doesn't make his voice relevant more than the people being victimised.' I assumed he might have been a troll journalist/columnist or something. That's a little disappointing.

[sub][sub]Real controversial opinion time though; I thought DK 64 was alright.[/sub][/sub]

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I can't tell if this belongs to Gaming Discussion or Religion & Politics...

tf2godz said:
game developer John Romero, (you know one of the creators of Doom)
Also known as the final boss in DOOM II.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Hbomb is one of the good guys. No doubt about that. I'm really happy that so many fine people came together to support a good cause. I'd have tuned in if I knew that Alexandria Cortez was gonna be in it. She's my American Politics Waifu.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
hanselthecaretaker said:
?Trans kids?? As in, minors that undergo a sex change? How young are we talking about?
As I understand it's a charity to support youth with gender identity issues. Nothing more.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Chimpzy said:

Damn. Liked the shows he created.

Although, I've gone back to them in recent years and haven't found them as funny. Maybe I was seeing his bullying nature in them and couldn't connect anymore

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
hanselthecaretaker said:
?Trans kids?? As in, minors that undergo a sex change? How young are we talking about?
Trans includes cross dressing. Hopefully, before anyone is allowed to get surgery, they've at least tried to live like their chosen gender.

Usually you cant do transition surgeries til 18. There are many trans people who dont get the surgery but are still classed as trans

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
hanselthecaretaker said:
My gender issues have existed for as long as I have had the ability to retain memory. I didn't really understand it, but it was there. And that lack of understanding was also the source of much of my torment growing up, especially as I quickly learned it wasn't considered ok.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
Trans describes the state of having a gender identity different your birth sex (often accompanied by distressing feelings of dysphoria), not having been subject to hormone replacement therapy or sexual reassignment surgery. (Incidentally, the laws here on those are that children can get puberty blockers but only those 17+ can get hormones and surgery, although inadequate NHS provision means waiting lists are so long that this is unlikely)

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
DK64 is a terrible game. Are they at least glitching the heck out of it? It's a very broken game.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
undeadsuitor said:
Drathnoxis said:
DK64 is a terrible game. Are they at least glitching the heck out of it? It's a very broken game.
Iirc they're running it on an emulator that can barely hold it together

The chat had to remind him to save all the time for when it crashed
Whaaa- really?! N64 emulators are terrible! That makes the whole thing sound really amateur hour despite all the big names dripped in the OP. Surely they could have gotten an actual N64 for this.

And why DK64 of all things. Is there supposed to be some relevant connecting theme or was it just some game picked out of a hat?

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
It's incredible because people have been asking HBomb to go on Chapo for over a year, but instead we had a twist of fate where Chapo ended up going on HBomb.

hanselthecaretaker said:
Children can experience gender dysphoria as soon as they're able to understand the difference between boys and girls, and usually they have a clear understanding of what they're experiencing before they start puberty.

Minors do not undergo sex change operations because they are not considered old enough to legally give informed consent. The usual course of action is to prescribe medicine that will block puberty for a few years and a counselor will work with them during that period to help them live as their preferred gender, and then when they are older to decide whether they want to begin HRT.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I?d have to say my own lack of understanding boils down to the more extreme measures people take with it, and why. When you think of it, there is a pretty broad spectrum of how how people identify; from effeminate men to masculine women, and it?s been pretty apparent for decades that gender itself can be far more analogous than the x/y chromosomal value that is assigned sexually.

So, regardless of what set of dangly bits are down below, it?s kinda asinine for a mere traditional set of values to be ascribed to them, when they should be allowed to represent whatever their owner wants them to as part of their gender.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
undeadsuitor said:
Drathnoxis said:
Iirc they're running it on an emulator that can barely hold it together

The chat had to remind him to save all the time for when it crashed
Whaaa- really?! N64 emulators are terrible! That makes the whole thing sound really amateur hour despite all the big names dripped in the OP. Surely they could have gotten an actual N64 for this.

And why DK64 of all things. Is there supposed to be some relevant connecting theme or was it just some game picked out of a hat?
The backstory is that Hbomberguy did a Youtube video <url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5auJOBC828>about speedrunners a couple months back. One game he brought up was Donkey Kong 64, specifically from his childhood. He mainly used it to discuss the concept of speedrunning being an inherently inclusive hobby (because it's inherently shared, and everyone learns from everyone else's successes and insights) and springboarding into how to count as a "100% completion speedrun" (noting people are still mining and discovering things years later).

He then admitted that he never finished the game as a kid, since he eventually realized it's a difficult, meaninglessly-grindy, repetitive mess. Out of lingering regret, and out of admiration for speedrunners, he promised he would stream himself playing the game straight through to 101% completion, no matter how long it took him.

The rest of the context is in the OP. He decided to make it a charity livestream.

EDIT: I didn't see him use any glitches, but he did abuse savestates during the final boss. It was around hour 54 (and it's a friggin' five-stage boss), so I don't think anyone begrudged him.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
NeutralDrow said:
The backstory is that Hbomberguy did a Youtube video <url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5auJOBC828>about speedrunners a couple months back. One game he brought up was Donkey Kong 64, specifically from his childhood. He mainly used it to discuss the concept of speedrunning being an inherently inclusive hobby (because it's inherently shared, and everyone learns from everyone else's successes and insights) and springboarding into how to count as a "100% completion speedrun" (noting people are still mining and discovering things years later).

He then admitted that he never finished the game as a kid, since he eventually realized it's a difficult, meaninglessly-grindy, repetitive mess. Out of lingering regret, and out of admiration for speedrunners, he promised he would stream himself playing the game straight through to 101% completion, no matter how long it took him.

The rest of the context is in the OP. He decided to make it a charity livestream.

EDIT: I didn't see him use any glitches, but he did abuse savestates during the final boss. It was around hour 54 (and it's a friggin' five-stage boss), so I don't think anyone begrudged him.
54 hours. Was that straight? Not really much of a speedrun though. Should've used more moon kicks.