HDMI cable - optical audio cable

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
So, with the Black Friday sales coming up, I'm looking to buy an Xbox One and finally upgrade (yes, I know I'm late to the party), but as we're all aware the XBone uses HDMI for its A/V output. Unfortuntely, I don't have a HDMI-capable TV. What I do have though, is a DVI-D capable TV, which also has SCART sockets that my current consoles are connected to (for fairly crappy but functional visuals). I know it's not the best set-up, but given my limited funds I can't be spending loads on anything like a new TV (hene waiting for the sales to get a console upgrade).

To rectify this, I went out and bought a DVI-D adaptor that connects to the HDMI cable at on end and my TV at the other. I also bought a digital optical audio cable for the sound, since I'm aware that DVI is visual-only. I connected them to the PS3 to test the cables were in working order, before I spend the big money on the XBone, and found that the visuals worked perfectly, but there was no sound coming from my TV. The audio cable fits into the port marked 'audio in' on my TV which is right next to the DVI-D port, but there's nothing coming from the integrated speakers.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get this sorted? If I can get it to work with the PS3 then I know it'll work with the new console as well, but right now the sound problem is pretty major.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
The PS3 doesn't do everything automatically - you may have to go into the PS3 dashboard or whatever and go into Audio Settings, to tell it what to output to. There you can specify whether it's Optical, HDMI, RCA, SCART (maybe?) etc. If you have an HDMI in there, it would default to it I think.

Bit of a pain, I know because I used to switch between HDMI and RCA audio when I was playing Rocksmith, to avoid the delays from the pass-through on my amp.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
JohnnyDelRay said:
The PS3 doesn't do everything automatically - you may have to go into the PS3 dashboard or whatever and go into Audio Settings, to tell it what to output to. There you can specify whether it's Optical, HDMI, RCA, SCART (maybe?) etc. If you have an HDMI in there, it would default to it I think.

Bit of a pain, I know because I used to switch between HDMI and RCA audio when I was playing Rocksmith, to avoid the delays from the pass-through on my amp.
Yeah, I did try that and it comes up with loads of options for the sound output (Dolby Digital, PCM, etc.) - no matter which combination of options I tick though, including nothing at all (there are two default ones I can't untick at all), it doesn't seem to work.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Dang, sounds like you could have a bigger problem on your hands. The default options are always on, you can't get rid of them I think, only tick the other things that your TV/speaker setup is capable of, but if anything the defaults should work (basic 2.0 anyway).

From here, I'd try going into your TV settings menu and see if there's anything to set where the sound comes from. I have a feeling you've probably tried that already, but failing that, your last resort would be to isolate the problem: (difficult unless you have extra hardware on standby)
1) Try putting the sound output from the PS3 to something else that takes optical out, I know that's a tough one since you are using integrated speakers as it is

2) Try getting another source of sound thru the optical to the TV, such as from DVD player to TV

3) Lastly, try another cable (I know also not plausible seeing as you just bought it, would be pretty damn unlucky to have a bunk cable but if someone else has a spare or willing to lend?)

4) These are long shots, and are in no ways assuming you haven't done them already:
-check to make sure the red light is omitting from the optical cable to see if both ends (TV and PS3) are working ok
-restart the PS3 after making changes, I've had to do this on more than one occasion.

Other than that, I'm a bit out of ideas for now, hope you get this sorted it sounds like a *****

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Trivun said:
Yeah, I did try that and it comes up with loads of options for the sound output (Dolby Digital, PCM, etc.) - no matter which combination of options I tick though, including nothing at all (there are two default ones I can't untick at all), it doesn't seem to work.
Must be a really old screen, I don't know of many consumer screens that support DVI. But as to your problem, you may be looking at a limitation with the PS3 hardware/software. It detects a HDMI cable so it outputs audio only there and ignores the digital audio connector, although this seems unlikely as it means you'd never be able to connect your PS3 to a stereo. Something you could try is seeing if you need to change the source for audio to the digital 'audio in' on the TV itself.

When it comes to adapters it can be very hit and miss, although your issue could be on the TV end.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Thanks all for the help :). Turns out it was a really simple solution that I overlooked and then spotted, scholboy error really. The port on my TV isn't an optical input, it's for a 3.5mm jack. Fortunately I had one of those cables spare, and just bought an optical to analogue adapter - plugged it all in again and it works perfectly. Just put it down to me being a moron...

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Trivun said:
Thanks all for the help :). Turns out it was a really simple solution that I overlooked and then spotted, scholboy error really. The port on my TV isn't an optical input, it's for a 3.5mm jack. Fortunately I had one of those cables spare, and just bought an optical to analogue adapter - plugged it all in again and it works perfectly. Just put it down to me being a moron...
Good to hear you got it sorted mate. Yeah we've all made n00b mistakes like that, don't worry. It's also strange too, TVs come with all myriad of inputs/outputs these days. I have a Samsung with no RCA, only optical and 3.5mm, very weird.

Enjoy your XBONE! I'm looking to grab one as well myself, been holding out on the current gen consoles but the deals look pretty good. Even after the Black Friday/Cyber Monday stuff, prices haven't gone up too high. Will definitely grab one by Xmas