He Lived Long and Prospered: Leonard Nimoy Dead at 83

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Well, I for one am going to honour his memory by playing a game of Civ 4 and giving the Vulcan salute every time I research a tech.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I'm not a Star Trek fan, but heaps of respect for his influence and being a cool dude in general. I heard he was sick, but I didn't know he was in that bad of shape. My dad grew up with Star Trek (and even watches re-runs when they're on), and the news really hit him.

RIP

In lighter news, I've also been playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. Xehanort's Japanese voice actor died last month from heart failure, and now Leonard Nimoy is gone too from similar causes and at a similar age. The rest of this game is going to be a little awkward D:

EDIT:

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
These delightful commercials involving Shatner and Limoy should be provided wonderful memory.

These are classics.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Well that's a bummer to wake up to. I've never been a hardcore Trekkie, but I enjoyed his appearances in other media: his Simpsons performances were hilarious and his soothing yet authoritative tones in Civilization IV were a high-point of the game.

RIP Leonard Nimoy, you were one hell of an entertainer.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Everyone's gonna remember him for Spock...not many are going to remember him for this:

Rest well, Mr. Nimoy. We're gonna miss ya.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
\\//_

I can remember when my cousin and I, 40 odd years ago, were so pleased that our fingers could work that symbol without aid. Now with the Black Fleet, reasoning with his enemies, a thousand times, laughing.

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
Can't say I didn't see it coming. Read the news of his hospitalization earlier this week and I just knew, somehow. It's a sad day, for sure. Nimoy was one amazing actor. And an equally amazing man. He will be missed. Rest in peace, sir.

Live Long And Prosper.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
RIP Leonard Nimoy. Thank you for all wonderful years of entertainment and joy you provided for all of us.

Live Long and Prosper.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I had just had a meal out with the boyfriend when his brother text him to tell us this. I was bawling my eyes out in the middle of Leeds! People were looking at him funny like "what did he just say to her?" Heh.
We went into Forbidden Planet and bought a Spock pop toy, then we had a toast to him when we went out with friends that night. Yes, we are sad nerds. :(
RIP sir. ;-;

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Damn I loved this guy, never saw anything negative about him. Had hoped to see him and Shatner do one last star trek 'thing' to close there eara but I guess that was me just being a dreamer. It will be a sadder world without him in it. Hope he aimed for the second star to the right and strait on till morning.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
According to Vulcan mourning traditions, a death is mourned only if the life was wasted. Leonard Nimoy lived an incredible life and leaves behind a wonderful legacy - one of compassion, creativity, and kindness. Let?s honor his life and celebrate his legacy by making an effort to uplift and encourage our fellow travelers on this little blue planet.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I heard about this last night and thought people were joking (playing STO). He will be missed.

I wonder if "Zombies Of The Stratosphere" will make his life highlights reel at some point if someone does one. :)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Well, SF Debris works pretty fast, making this tribute from scratch. Kind of made me tear up.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I don't put much stock in people, or celebrities, but rather ideas.
However, if I would model a persona on a public figure to any degree, I think Leonard Nimoy a fair candidate.

By that, I mean that I respected Leonard Nimoy greatly, and I respect very few public figures at all.

He demonstrated diplomacy, ingenuity and (often subtle) compassion for what was otherwise the fairly cynical business of genre media.

It's his example that suggested that to me personally, that enjoying genre media like sci-fi is more than just mindless indulgence of "nerdy crap". He showed that making it requires interest and a boldness against reprisal, while making it GOOD requires a greater degree of thought and creativity.

So for that, I will indulge and toast his memory; Live long, and prosper.
Aye, Mr. Spock. I will.

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
We today lost one of the greatest nerd/scifi icons. but evermore so,We lost a great man,R.I.P.

You lived long and prospered.

Branthog

Feb 28, 2015
I have a mental list of old guys that I'm probably going to see pass in my life time, who I know will impact me. Of them, Nimoy was right at the top.

The cost of a long life is eventually watching all your heroes die.

LLAP

Jarmam

Jan 21, 2015
The world is a poorer place that it was 2 days ago. Nimoy was not only an great artist, but an exceptional human being. He will be sorely missed. I was never much into Trek, but this is one passing that hit me hard. Many people will feel as if they've lost someone they knew.

Safe travels beyond the veil, mr. Nimoy, you lived long and prospered and have earned more than a lifetime's worth of respect

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
When I learned of this news, I went to watch Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. It seemed appropriate.