Heart of the Swarm Collector's Edition Lacks Actual Zergs

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Heart of the Swarm Collector's Edition Lacks Actual Zergs

But the packaging and extras look pretty cool otherwise.

Say what you want about Blizzard, they produce some pretty high-quality Collector's Editions. I've been the proud owner of many a World of Warcraft CE over the years, and always look forward to how the boxes will appear on my shelf. The Collector's Edition for the second installation of StarCraft II, dubbed Heart of the Swarm because of how it deals with the insectlike alien Zerg, is no different. Heart of the Swarm opens its servers on March 12th.

[gallery=1102]

Here's what you get in the Collector's Edition, in case you didn't already have it pre-ordered:

Heart of the Swarm Game DVD (duh!) with a unique Authentication Key if you want to DL the game early.
Soundtrack CD with 11 kicking tracks to make love to your Queen of Blades to!
Behind the Scenes DVD (plus a Blu-Ray, nice!) with interviews from all the game's developers. I haven't watched this one yet, but Blizzard's other videos have all been top-notch productions that offer anecdotes about the development you can't hear anywhere else.
Hardcover book of concept art from the game, peppered with quotes from the characters. Includes a humorous introduction from Blizzard's Lead Artist Samwise Didier on how the team comes up with new Zerg units.
Mouse pad. This one's not as iconic as the WoW mouse pads of yore, but I'll probably still use it.
Digital items! When you use the authentication key you'll get access to specific portraits and cosmetic goodies in SC2 multiplayer, a baneling minipet in Wow (can't wait to try that out in the minipet battle system), and cosmetic blade wings in Diablo III.
Guest passes to StarCraft II and WoW to give to your friends. Not sure how these will work, but I bet it will give limited access to the games for free.

What's missing? Well, perhaps I'm biased, but I would have loved a feelie Zergling popping out of the box? Perhaps some purple goo Zerg "creep" sticking to all the items? It'd be gross, but cool.

In any case, I'm looking forward to spooling up Heart of the Swarm when the servers open next Tuesday. Hey, do you think I'll be able to play this "always-on" online game?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Starcraft 2 launch had a bit of a slow day the first day if I remember correctly, but it was fixed by the end of the day. Shouldn't be a huge issue for the expansion at all.

Also. BANELING PET!

Woooo!

I'm actually really lookin forward to that behind the scenes thing. Both the Starcraft 2 and Mists of Pandaria ones were actually really really interestin.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I just received mine this evening.

Been reading through the art book and I was shocked to see that *spoiler alert*
The leaked ending that was put up on YT a few years ago appears to be real, judging by all the concept art in it
Now I'm not sure if I'm happy I peeked in it or not :<

The mousemat is kinda interesting. Haven't had one in ten years or so, i'll see if I find this enjoyable to use.

I like how the hard-cardboard case is almost identical to the WoL CE one, they look quite nice together.

captcha: ding a ling.
A zergling?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Meh.

I have the normal edition pre-ordered, but to be honest none of the rest appeals to me. I don't play WOW and don't really play the multiplayer either. The concept book and the soundtrack seem nice, but in my experience I tend to listen to/read them once and then forget about them.

It's a shame, but I am finding most collectors editions to be very underwhelming.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
They should have gotten some of that old "SLIME" stuff that they used to sell. Color it purple. Calling it "Cup of CREEP" or something corny like that. :p

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I won't cancel my pre-order for the CE, but I have to say I am slightly disappointed in the lack of feelies in it. The WoL dogtag was cool, the (probably sub-par) mousepad is the closest the HotS CE gets, and that's a bit disappointing.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
DVS BSTrD said:
I think you mean "top-notch productions" there Greg. Touch-Notch sounds like an internet stalker documentary.
ZZoMBiE13 said:
They should have gotten some of that old "SLIME" stuff that they used to sell. Color it purple. Calling it "Cup of CREEP" or something corny like that. :p
Whoops, yeah. Freudian slip there.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
wasn't there supposed to be a custom ultra skin involved in all this madness? I'm weighing my options to see if this is worth my extra euro's and I keep telling myself the Thor skin is giving me mad nerd cred.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
What's missing? Well, perhaps I'm biased, but I would have loved a feelie Zergling popping out of the box? Perhaps some purple goo Zerg "creep" sticking to all the items? It'd be gross, but cool.
A little plushie Zergline or Baneling, perhaps?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
The plural form of Zerg is Zerg, not Zergs! Not bothering with Blizzard special editions anymore these days. The games just aren't worth it. And what do you mean you don't know how the guest passes will work? You said you've had CEs of your own over the years, you remember those little square slips of paper with the guest account CD keys on them? It'll just be a couple of those as usual. Hell, they even have one or two in regular editions, they've had the same things since the original StarCraft.

I think they let you play WoW until level 20 where you have to upgrade to continue and allow you to play StarCraft MP against AI for a limited number of matches.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Pre-ordered mine but away till Friday so will sadly have to wait to pick it up from the shop.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Technically I could still pre-order this and have it delivered, getting a refund on the HotS I ordered direct from Blizz... but as much as I want it, I can't justify the expense. Not when I've already spend too much money this month on recreation already. XD

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Rblade said:
wasn't there supposed to be a custom ultra skin involved in all this madness? I'm weighing my options to see if this is worth my extra euro's and I keep telling myself the Thor skin is giving me mad nerd cred.
Yeah, it unlocks a Torrasque skin for ultras, at least my digital collectors does, so I guess it's the same for the physical collectors. It also gives you Kerrigan wings for Diablo 3 characters. That will be pretty awesome if, after 3 expansions, they manage to actually turn it into a good game.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Is Starcraft 2 HOTS always online? You could play the last one offline couldnt you? The campaign I mean?

Aug 19, 2010
Pre-ordered mine the day it went up on my favored store's webshop. Too bad that us europeans won't be getting it early despite it being a pre-ordered CE (how does that even work?). Knowing hungarian retailers, it's gonna be late.
Still bloody hyped for this.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Pipotchi said:
Is Starcraft 2 HOTS always online? You could play the last one offline couldnt you? The campaign I mean?
I would imagine this works the same. I play mostly for the campaign, and multi with friends, but we aren't good enough for leagues.

That said, it should be in my mail box tomorrow all going well. I just hate the BS of getting stuff for their other games when they could maybe put just a slight bit more in for those that don't play their other ones. What am I going to do with a WoW pet or Diablo 3 stuff if I don't play? Are they codes I can give to a friend at least?

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I have the Starcraft II collector's edition and I loved pretty much everything they threw in there. The soundtrack alone was worth it. I just didn't like the game. Like, at all. I don't even know why I bought it considering I NEVER play multiplayer. I do have money to burn but I'm not buying this thing. I'm not falling for the pretty pictures again.