Hearthstone Aims for Simplicity in Both Art and Play

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Hearthstone Aims for Simplicity in Both Art and Play

If you've played, or even read about Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, you probably noticed a trend towards simplicity.

Read Full Article

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Encaen said:
There's an explosion when you open a pack of cards with debris flying and a visceral feeling that's impressively reminiscent of opening a real-world pack of cards.
Yup, my boosters exploded ALL THE TIME when I played Star Wars CCG back in the day :p

I personally love Hearthstone, for pretty much all the reasons summed up here plus a few more.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I haven't played a card game of this style since the original Magic way back in the early - mid 90s. So far, I'm liking Hearthstone. It's giving me just enough Warcraft to sate my desire to get back into WoW. I don't have enough cards to really do anything other than casual play but I'm having fun letting the computer create random decks for me as I try to knock out daily quests. I've not spent any money on it and doubt that I will. I was tempted but then I got my first legendary........a golden Ysera. I promptly lost the first match with it in my deck. I'm terrible but having fun.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
SirBryghtside said:
The legends are a tricky issue. The ones that are really 'overpowered' right now are Cairne, Ysera, Rag and a few of the class-specific (Jaraxxus being the most prominent) - but they're all only playable in late-game decks, which means they do nothing against aggro. It's pretty much the same dynamic as Magic: The Gathering has, where control decks set you back hundreds, sometimes even thousands, while there's always a 'Red Deck Wins' available in most formats for a relatively low price.

Though I feel like a lot of these issues with specific cards will be mitigated before long as more cards are added to the pool. In a couple of years, the Hearthstone community will find it pretty funny that a vanilla 4/5 was considered one of the best cards in the game.
Are rush and aggro decks the same thing?
Assuming they are, aren't they mostly lower-ladder stuff anyway?
The reason I bring it up, is that it seems far easier to get the cards you need/want through the dust system and the relatively small cardpool, so people will move on from their murloc decks pretty early (with the exception of a few class builds I guess).

I assume you're reffering to the Yeti with the 4/5. Isn't it mostly because it's effective against priests with it's 4 attack that it's considered good?
Its effective against priests because it sits perfectly in the spot known as "all your removal equals shit" space unless they ping it with someone, but then they're just wastin mana. However its also just really good all around. 5 health means that its hard to ping it to death. 4 damage means that trying to ping it to death with monsters will never be cost effective. Its also only 4 mana which means most single target removals aren't cost effective either. Not remotely overpowered in the slightest, but its very useful in pretty much every deck.

Think of it this way, whenever you want to remove an enemy card you always want to use less mana than they used to put the card out. So someone droppin a 6 mana boulderfist ogre is prime target for a 4 mana polymorph + hero power or a straight 5 mana assassinate from a Rogue. However a 4 mana Yeti means that in order to outright kill it you'd need to spend 1 more mana than they spent to put the thing out.

Its a really good card all around.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Encaen said:
When you select a purchase in the store, there's a cloud of dust when the packs fall on the counter. There's an explosion when you open a pack of cards with debris flying and a visceral feeling that's impressively reminiscent of opening a real-world pack of cards.
Yeah, because clouds of glowy dust, sparks, and flying debris are exactly what I associate with cardboard rectangles in the real world.