Heaven or Hell, LET"S ROCK

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
that's right, on December 16, the newest installment in the Guilty Gear franchise, Guilty Gear Xrd, will be released in the US.

Prepare for one of the best fighters ever made now in the Unreal Engine

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Unreal Engine? Awesome. I can't wait for my new fighting game to have a bad framerate and textures randomly popping in and out.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Well, it looks really pretty. But I just can't get into the Guilty games at all. I'm really not sure why, but I've tried various games in the series and they just never click with me at all. Nice to see a new one out for the fans of the series though.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
Unreal Engine? Awesome. I can't wait for my new fighting game to have a bad framerate and textures randomly popping in and out.
hahaha

I have seen people play versions bought from JP PSN, it is the smoothest thing out there with no pop in of backgrounds or character model movements and .

The only thing the engine is there for is just to serve as a base for the code, the rest is the result of the art team's version and the extreme talent of the coders.

want proof? here

I highly advise 1080p, 60fps for this video, it's a dramatic difference

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
I remember buying Guilty Gear X2 when I was a kid because the box art looked cool, I had no idea how to play properly I just spammed normal attacks and managed to do some quarter circle attacks inconsistently.

I brought the game on PC later, and I was pulling off special moves consistently, but I still wasn't very good, I'm not good at fighting games at all. I'll take a look at this and might get it just for nostalgia's sake I guess.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Did they really need the unreal engine for a game like that? It looks pretty and has nice cutscenes for finishers or special moves. (whatever they are) But it looks like something they could have made 5 to 10 years ago as well. I get that this type of 2d fighting game is still insanely popular, but...the unreal engine as a base? =/

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
sanquin said:
Did they really need the unreal engine for a game like that? It looks pretty and has nice cutscenes for finishers or special moves. (whatever they are) But it looks like something they could have made 5 to 10 years ago as well. I get that this type of 2d fighting game is still insanely popular, but...the unreal engine as a base? =/
A theory someone has suggested is that the Guilty Gear team didn't have that much money to buy after they had to buy the rights. The unreal engine is a cost saving measure compared to their normal 2d animation which normally costs a lot more money.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I like the gameplay of guilty gear, but I've always thought most of the characters are really lame (Going just off of designs and gameplay, mind you. I don't know anything about the guilty gear storyline, but I doubt the story will save this fight game). I'm gonna wait for the edition of this one that re-adds Anji and Baiken, if that comes about.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Benpasko said:
I like the gameplay of guilty gear, but I've always thought most of the characters are really lame (Going just off of designs and gameplay, mind you. I don't know anything about the guilty gear storyline, but I doubt the story will save this fight game). I'm gonna wait for the edition of this one that re-adds Anji and Baiken, if that comes about.
I have no doubt that Anji and Baiken will be added at some point. Dizzy is out due to story reason (can't cite a source sadly, I would ask fans for that) and Johnny's character model has been leaked. The only thing left is the monetary model since Arc System Works has been doing the multiple iteration release thing with Blazblue and even Guilty Gear X2 had this.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Already have it preordered. Really hope Arksys uses those arcade stick drivers that the Skullgirls devs are giving out...really don't want to buy another stick just for the PS4.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'll end up waiting for the , Guilty Gear Xrd-XX:AC+ vs BlazBlu - Super Deluxe GOTY Version 13: Never Dead Or Alive, edition.
:p

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Benpasko said:
I watched someone do the acrade mode on youtube. Be warned, just like Blazblue, it still suffers from the old "To be continued" ending. The person playing was laughing about how Sol's ending ended with him looking troubled and going "Shit!" and then roll to credits. So, if you want a decent ending, you'll have to play through story mode.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I've been looking at it for awhile. I'm definitely charmed, but I'm thinking of waiting a bit. It still feels somewhat incomplete. Some of the dubbing feels poorly timed, so many good characters from the earlier ones are missing, like Johnny, Bridget, and Baiken, and the story seems to end on a cliffhanger. Since fighting games have a tendency to release improved sequels, I think I'm going to stick it out and wait for the next one. If I receive news that there won't be a next one, then I'll make do with this one.

It's kind of a pity, but I know I'll be even more disappointed if I buy it and then find a future release with everything I wanted.