Heavy Metal. Good or Bad?

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Old is good, since most of the trash has been forgotten, new isn't since it is mostly trash.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
viranimus said:
Original film? Awesome for its time

The last film in 2000? Not so much.

Oh music. Ehh some is good, but like any form of music for every 1 good act there are dozens that are pure shit.

Personally I cant stand repetitive drone bands Such as The faceless

Example
To each their own, but I find that just boring, uninspired and a lame attempt at saying or doing anything with the music.
I love looking at the stylized art for the bands name and trying to figure out where the fuck each letter starts. There are far too many bands with styles like that these days.

Just type grindcore logo into google image search and wait as your eyes bleed.

OT - Yeah I like heavy metal, gone more towards folk metal these days though. My tastes in music are always swinging back and forth.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I've never really been a fan. There's the very, very occasional track I'll like, but the rest generally isn't my cup of tea. From what Metal I've heard, anyway. Which isn't very much. You know what I mean.

That said, I'm fully aware I have terrible taste in music, so you might as well disregard this post.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
lion el jhonson said:
For me I love Heavy Metal and I think its going to be around for a long time. For others, some say it's just the same thing over and over again and some say it's irritating and promotes violence. So whats your opinion?

(No I am not talking about Scream-O or Death metal but feel to talk about it)
I don't mind heavy metal at all and I even listen to it on occasion. Although I enjoy more doom, black, and stoner metal than thrash, power, or death metal. Ignorant people seem to think that metal causes people to actually do some of the violent things when that is ridiculous. Most people actually use metal in more of a cathartic kind of way to get out their aggressions in a healthy way.

Although I don't like when heavy metal fans think they're all tough guys because they listen to loud, fast, aggressive music with growls. I'm sorry but no matter how badly you want it to heavy metal doesn't make you tougher. Other than that metal fans are usually very nice from the ones I have met and am friends with.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It's like any other genre that I like. i.e. I like it. Just look at my avatar! It's Heavy-Metal influenced.
lion el jhonson said:
promotes violence.
Whoever says that has obviously never heard of Megadeth.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
lion el jhonson said:
For others, some say it's just the same thing over and over again
One could make that case against most pop music, but you can't accuse metal of being unoriginal. (Some bands are, but that's the case with any genre.)

Admittedly, the heavy distorted guitar playing that exemplifies heavy metal is kind of an acquired taste. But you definitely can't say it's all the same.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
Arsen said:
Heavy Metal has the intelligence of the classical composers, the feel and suffering of the creators of blues, and the original, true spirit of rock and roll that The Beatles, Chuck Berry, and Elvis created.

It's the ONLY genre pushing new avenues of thought. Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Ayreon, Blind Guardian, Therion, Borknagar, Agalloch, Emperor, Bathory...

Ever metal band is worth a thousand, indie "rock" bands these days. It's mindblowing, they expand the very horizons of musical prowess, and in the future will be remembered for keeping the tradition of music alive.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't a bunch of indie rock bands out there that are just copying a formula with hopes of hitting it big, but the exact same thing can be said for heavy metal. To say that its the only genre to be pushing new avenues of thought is just borderline stupid. If anything psych-rock bands are pushing and have been the ones to push musical creativity forward since the dawn of rock. Look at landmark records like Dark Side Of The Moon that pushed music foward to a huge degree. Its a genre that embraces mind-altering drugs like LSD which alters your perceptions and makes you view things from a completely different point of view then before. A majority of that mind-blowing music I have heard has come from psych-rock bands that had opened up more creative avenues by taking LSD.

I'm not trying to say that psych rock is better, but its certainly a genre that pushed music to mind-blowing proportions. I mean the lyrics are for the most part insightful and have something meaningful to say and the music is just so lush and melodic that you can't help but to be awed when you hear it.

Wilko316

Jun 16, 2010
Why wouldn't anyone talk about Death Metal? It's a genre of Metal that's very potent.
Anyways, more on topic, I'm a Metalhead, my main thing is Thrash. I looooooooove Metal to bits, it's powerful, epic music that lets you be as intelligent or as primitive as you like.

Here are some of my favourite songs atm.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
I love heavy metal.
And so far in my metal journey - I have found a multitude of bands from all the subgenres that I love too - asiding Technical metal (eeeuuuuggggghhhhh -.-)
but yes, I love heavy metal, and melodic death metal.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
Used to listen to a hell of a metal in my early teenage years in fact it was all that was in my music library. Now it's extremely sparse and most of my music can be categorised under 'Rock' i suppose.
Most of the metal i still have is more into the technical or prog region. I just have too much appreciation for the complexity and beauty of the guitar (see Protest the Hero, Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit)

Collins254

Jul 30, 2011
Love it!! dragonforce being one of my all time favourite bands =], seen em live a few times aswel as trivium, machine head, turisas, arch enemy( scary ass lead singer) and shadowfall, im a big fan of rock in all apects.

literally through the fire and the flames we carry on :p come raise your gauntlet of rock!

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I tend to enjoy it when the vocalists aren't trying to sound like a cross between Cookie Monster and Louis Armstrong and when the lyrics aren't absolutely childish.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
lion el jhonson said:
For me I love Heavy Metal and I think its going to be around for a long time. For others, some say it's just the same thing over and over again and some say it's irritating and promotes violence. So whats your opinion?

(No I am not talking about Scream-O or Death metal but feel to talk about it)
SCREAMO IS NOT A GENRE. I am so damn sick of people with any taste in music referring to hardcore/metalcore/deathcore and any other sub-genre of punk or metal which utilising screaming vocals as 'screamo'. It's a pathetic word which carries no weight whatsoever. Would you call Led Zep 'screamo' because of Plant's famous wolf howl voice? No! Would you call Foo Fighters 'screamo' because Grohl screams in songs like Break Out? No! So don't clump together bands like Whitechapel, Alexisonfire, Gallows, Architects (all members of completely different sub-genres) under the same daft umprella of 'screamo'.

Unnecessary rant? No.

OT: Metal is a fantastic genre which can be wasted by shite bands like Bullet For My Valentine or Avenged Sevenfold.
Personally, I think metal has evolved to the point where sub-genres are unavoidable. Industrial: Nine Inch Nails, nu-metal: Limp Bizkit, deathcore: Suicide Silence etc.

I guess I haven't really answered your question because, well, it's unanswerable. People have their own opinions (but, for the record, those that say metal is 'bad' are wrong)

poundingmetal74

Mar 30, 2009
As a huge metal fan (of the melodic kind anyways, I can't stand growling or blast beats), metal is a good in the world, particularly in mine.

The metal genre contains brilliant musicians of every instrument and incredible songwriting. A lot of metal music is as "musical" as the likes of jazz or classical, which are often viewed as higher forms of music.

basedg0d_a0s

Jul 25, 2011
black sabbath has some good songs and i think that they are heavy metal. other than that i'm not really into that type of music.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
It depends on what you mean by heavy metal. Things like Megadeth, Slayer, Motorhead and Motley Crue are just fucking awful; the real nadir of the 1980s. Absolute bilge.
But there are a lot of great subgenres like post-metal, symphonic death, avant garde and mathcore.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
As long as it's not Death Metal, Heavy Metal is awesome.

(Seriously, the awesome soundtracks being ruined by the guttural screaming... )

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
fi6eka said:
Metal fan right here.I personally like the old hard rock and heavy metal bands - Scorpions,Black Sabbath(but only the Dio years), Iron Maiden - that sorh of thing.Might say I also like alot of power metal and symphonic metal(i don't know why i just do :] )

The only things i can't stand are Mettalica(a band that hasn't released anything wort listening since 1991 does't deserve it's fame) and Death Metal bands - douchebags who can't actually sing, covering behind uninteligeble sceam - bleagh
You I can call friend, and another person that can't stand death metal as much as I do!

I will excuse you for only liking the Dio years in Sabbath since he is awesome singer though, and I can agree with you on Metallica, although Death Magnetic was pretty good.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I like it. A lot.
Collins254 said:
Love it!! dragonforce being one of my all time favourite bands =], seen em live a few times aswel as trivium, machine head, turisas, arch enemy( scary ass lead singer) and shadowfall, im a big fan of rock in all apects.

literally through the fire and the flames we carry on :p come raise your gauntlet of rock!
Dragonforce is a mediocre band that makes music with computers and sound effects. That's not music. At least not heavy metal. Don't you even dare saying that to anyone who is seriously into heavy metal.

Also, DEEETHHHHKLOOOOOKKKK wait that's death metal.

fi6eka said:
lion el jhonson said:
So whats your opinion?
Metal fan right here.I personally like the old hard rock and heavy metal bands - Scorpions,Black Sabbath(but only the Dio years), Iron Maiden - that sorh of thing.Might say I also like alot of power metal and symphonic metal(i don't know why i just do :] )

The only things i can't stand are Mettalica(a band that hasn't released anything wort listening since 1991 does't deserve it's fame) and Death Metal bands - douchebags who can't actually sing, covering behind uninteligeble sceam - bleagh
Scorpions are heavy metal? I thought they were rock. Well, I still love them.

Also, not sure if Mettalica counts as heavy metal, most of the people consider them sort of... rock.

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
I've been a metal fan for so long, and I don't get involved in any kind of fan battle