Heavy Rain Cleans Up at BAFTAs

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
The amount of hate God of War 3's graphics makes me wonder what it takes to please people these days. I mean how could you NOT love the way the light glistens off the Gorgons' scales, or how Kratos gets covered in the blood of his enemies.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
SteelStallion said:
[li]Artistic Achievement: God of War III [/li]
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

BAFTA has gone the way of the Oscars! GoW 3 was as artistic as my scrotum.
Sorry, but it was artistic. The story was decent, and it had enough relevence to the Greek Myths (Which I am pretty well versed in) to not be irritating, not to mention phenomenal graphics. That, and it was a pretty good example of a Greek/Classical Tragedy. Get'chur facts straight before blurting out random BS please =]

OT: I'm glad that HR got some praise. I've noticed TV programmes and adverts using it's OST, it had a great, engaging story, and i enjoyed it very much. It was something unique, and different, which we aren't seeing very much in this sea of mediocrity lately...

[sub][sub]I'm looking at you, CoD... Can't believe you got a BAFTA, but all the idiots think you are the best evah, so it was bound to happen... =_=[/sub][/sub]

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
The Sane said:
I was a little miffed at Bad Company 2 winning for sound.. I can't say how good it actually was, its been too long since i played it, but the sound quality never stood out to me. Whereas the combat sounds in Medal of Honour spelt wrong really caught my attention.

The rest of it seems all fairly generic, doesn't look like they went looking very far for each winner, rather just picking the well known ones.
Have you ever considered that they're well known because they're the best?
Like how the best football players are all well known.

Or are you a minecultist?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
HentMas said:
Zom-B said:
Wow, these seem like very... arbitrary awards. I would agree that Heavy Rain deserves best story, but not best game. As a "game" Heavy Rain was a chore to play and sit through. As a story driven experience it was very good. I basically finished the game in two sessions, though separated by approximately a month, haha.
Outright Villainy said:
Heavy rain had a good story? Okay, the game was a lot of fun, and it sucks you in, but it's incredibly pulpy fun. If you think about the story for more than 5 minutes your head will hurt from the stupid.
this my friends, is what we call "Point of view", its an amazing little thing because EVERYONE can have one, and if the mayority think about one over the other, that one wins!, and receives an award, like best game! or best "story"

sorry sorry, i find it funny that both post are right one after the other, it is so funny, two guys not getting why someone would think what the other guy is thinking hahaha
Subjectivity is all well and good, but for a story to be a good story, it has to at least make sense. On a fundamental level, if a story makes no sense, it's not a good story, end of. Now I could go and rant about it in detail, but it's easier to just link to a good deconstruction of the whole thing. [http://www.gamecritics.com/daniel-weissenberger/heavy-rain-is-in-many-ways-not-well-written-part-1]

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
There's certainly a few eyebrow quirking choices in the list - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is an odd choice for best action game, for example, especially when you consider it was up against Halo: Reach, Black Ops and God of War 3
Considering those three are a veritable cavalcade of mediocrity, not really.

I find it far more perplexing choices such as:

...Really? I mean, Heavy Rain cleans up everything else, but "Artistic Achievement" goes to a title that can be completely summarized in "go crazy and kill shit"? I mean, it's a decent game, but... "Art" is so not a selling point.

[li]Multiplayer: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit [/li]

...Where to start... I can't think of a worse option that actually has multiplayer.

[li]Sports: F1 2010 [/li]

This isn't as "straight forward" as the previous two, but what about Grand Turismo V?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
LightspeedJack said:
Terrible choices shame on BAFTA they clearly don't know what they are doing when it comes to video games.
To be fair to BAFTA, they actually get leading games journalists and devs in the UK to vote for the best games, so it's actually decided by people who know a fair amount about video games.

I have to say, Heavy Rain didn't clean up as such. It won three awards, and one of those was music. I suppose it cleaned up compared to the others.

I totally thought AC:Brotherhood would take multiplayer...

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
SteelStallion said:
KaosuHamoni said:
SteelStallion said:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

BAFTA has gone the way of the Oscars! GoW 3 was as artistic as my scrotum.
Sorry, but it was artistic. The story was decent, and it had enough relevence to the Greek Myths (Which I am pretty well versed in) to not be irritating, not to mention phenomenal graphics. That, and it was a pretty good example of a Greek/Classical Tragedy. Get'chur facts straight before blurting out random BS please =]
No, it was "lets take every god and creature in greek mythology and have this guy murder them". It wasn't a tragedy, it was fucking hilarious. He kills everything, end of. Phenomenal graphics, sure, but that's a technical achievement. I'm not saying it was a bad game, it was sure fun, but it's the other polar end of artistic.

Learn the difference between an opinion and "facts" before blurting out random BS please =].
"Tragedy (Ancient Greek: τραγῳδία, tragōidia, etymology uncertain) is a form of art based on human suffering that offers its audience pleasure."

It's a tragedy, although, it is bloody hilarious. Especially what he did to Hermes...

[sub]And Cronos... And Heracles... And Helios...[/sub]

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Cue the "MY GAME DIDN'T FUCKING WIN AND I DON'T LIKE THIS GAME THEREFORE IT DIDN'T DESERVE AN AWARD!!!!!!" whining.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Well, not really surprising. 2010 was a shocking and embrassing year for games. Heavy Rain was one of the golden gems.
WAIT!? Wheres Red Dead Redemption?

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Heavy Rain is as innovative as a cheeseburger. I'll be glad when I finally stop hearing about this goddamn game.

Anyway, yeah, it's great that the BAFTAs are acknowledging games alongside other mediums, and... do my eyes deceive me? Did Red Dead Redemption not win anything? I liked RDR, but it's been picking up more best-of-2010 awards than it deserves, in my opinion. Praise for Mass Effect 2, however, is one trend I'm not going to buck.

Also, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood rules. Single-player's a bit cut-and-paste, but it deserves recognition for its incredible multiplayer. Certainly more deserving of the award than Halo: Reach, God of War III or (ugh) Black Ops.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
There's certainly a few eyebrow quirking choices in the list - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is an odd choice for best action game, for example, especially when you consider it was up against Halo: Reach, Black Ops and God of War 3 - but even so, it's encouraging to see a high profile organization like BAFTA acknowledging that games are as worthy of praise as films and television.
Haven't actually played Brotherhood yet (waiting for a PC release), but based on AC2 and what I've heard/seen of AC:B from console players, it very much deserves it, for both the single and multiplayer.