Heavy Rain Designer Calls for Revolution - Again

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Funny... I always thought that market outside of FPS and TPS and Shooters in general was fora ll that other stuff. I guess all these libraries of other generas don't matter.

Games are actually quiet diverse, they just suffer from a long line of shooters being really popular. What we need to make specific is trying to increase the number of games that do other things. Games have explored wide and variety territory but can do more and so long as we focus on selling the popular shooters nothing else is going to get explored much. I mean has anyone considered where the Sims could go if explored as much as shooters? Just think how far you can take that concept of controlling the life of a virtual person or a virtual society.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
David Cage said:
"I'm just saying that I'm not happy with an industry that is entirely limited to experiences where all you are doing is shooting."
Because everyone knows this is the entire industry outside of Heavy Rain. All games released before, during, and after the release of Heavy Rain are all nothing more than Call of Duty clones.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Greg Tito said:
I really enjoyed Heavy Rain for the most part and I thought that it pushed the boundaries of what I was comfortable playing farther than any other game. What I don't understand why Cage is so combative when it comes to other games that seem to be similarly pushing, like his comments on L.A. Noire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108932-Heavy-Rain-Dev-Calls-L-A-Noires-MotionScan-Tech-a-Dead-End].

If you were Cage, wouldn't you want to encourage games to be more about investigating and asking questions than just plugging bad guys? Why dismiss the technology publicly like that?
He only talked about the limitation of the technology behind L.A. Noire, he clearly admits to thinking that the game looks good.

Though, then again, it still involves shooting people. I'm not speaking on Cage's behalf, but if the only other game that is made primarily for adults that involves darker, maturer themes still involves gunning down the baddies, that only helps prove Cage's point more, no?

While some may find Cage pretentious, I'd say that sometimes you need to be a little haughty to get people off their asses and get to some innovating.

EDIT: Jesus there are some huge haters here.

I find this oddly appropriate;