Heavy Rain Dev Sticks to PS3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Heavy Rain Dev Sticks to PS3

Don't expect the next game from Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream to show up on the Xbox 360.

While last year's Heavy Rain there will be no Heavy Rain sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7266-Review-Heavy-Rain], might the next game be a multiplatform title?

Not a chance, says Cage.

"We have an exclusive relationship with Sony," Cage told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293317/news/sony-has-best-console-studios-in-the-world-david-cage]. "The relationship on Heavy Rain has been fantastic. They trusted us from day one, supported us all the way through. It was really a very risky project [for them] and they never let us down."

"Being a part of a company with what are probably the best studios in the world is something really pleasant for us," said Cage, likely referring to other PlayStation-exclusive teams like Uncharted studio Naughty Dog and Sony's internal team Sony Santa Monica. "We're happy to continue this relationship and create content for the PlayStation brand. But they fund our projects, so we're staying exclusive to PlayStation."

"We have a relationship that works, we're excited by the platform - we think it's the best platform out there. We're glad to continue to work this way."

While Cage's remarks - particularly the "best platform out there" bit - seem designed to spark a flame war, Quantic Dream does seem to have perfectly good reasons to stick with Sony. Alas, it means that if you want to pick up DBZ Hobos 3: The Dragonballening and you don't already have a PS3, you're going to simply have to pick one up.

(Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-23-heavy-rain-dev-staying-ps3-exclusive])

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Oh, noes...what will become of the console that does not have a studio that invented and owns its own genre? The tragedy!

But the world must go on amidst such bleak circumstances...

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
John Funk said:
Alas, it means that if you want to pick up DBZ Hobos 3: The Dragonballening and you don't already have a PS3, you're going to simply have to pick one up.
What was that supposed to mean? I'm seriously confused...

Anyway, I played every game QD released (Omikron, Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain) and I loved all of them despite their problems (like Fahrenheit's plot getting whacked in the second part). I'm going to buy their next game, even if it's going to be a minesweeper for PS3. It's a shame though, they apparently make one game per 5 years, so I'll most likely have to wait for it until 2015...

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
"they fund our projects"

That's all he needed to say. And anyway, I don't mind the 'best console' bit. Everyone has an opinion on what they think the best console is.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The key words in that article being, "But they fund our projects."

*sigh*

I hate exclusives, regardless of platform.

Apr 28, 2008
Yossarian1507 said:
John Funk said:
Alas, it means that if you want to pick up DBZ Hobos 3: The Dragonballening and you don't already have a PS3, you're going to simply have to pick one up.

Anyway, I played every game QD released (Omikron, Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain) and I loved all of them despite their problems (like Fahrenheit's plot getting whacked in the second part). I'm going to buy their next game, even if it's going to be a minesweeper for PS3. It's a shame though, they apparently make one game per 5 years, so I'll most likely have to wait for it until 2015...
He's referring to how Fahrenheit's plot went all DBZ in the second half.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Actually, I think if I wanted to spend time with DBZ Hobos 3: The Dragonballening, I would just need to have an Internet connection and be willing to click and "I am over 18" button.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Irridium said:
Yossarian1507 said:
John Funk said:

And in doing so, revealing a creepy similarity between Fahrenheit and Condemned 2.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
A game that I really don't get to play isn't coming out on my system...boohoo. Couldn't get into Indigo Prophecy so don't care at all about Quantic Dream. Not my games.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Being part of a company [ Sony ] that bludgeons everyone to death with a Legal Team.

Hope you are proud of that one!
All Sony's legal team is doing is protecting their system from rampant piracy, which is what's currently happening; they aren't "bludgeoning" anyone that don't deserve it.

Granted, Hotz only wanted to run homebrew, before his work got exploited, and Sony went off the deep end on him; but it doesn't put Sony in the wrong.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Irridium said:
Well, I got more of a Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions feel from Fahrenheit's plot, but fair enough I guess. :p

Although, it's a little bit sad, that he used that one bad example to mock a dev team that actually can come up with GREAT story ideas (Omikron, HR)

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Zhukov said:
Ditto. I was never a fan of the infamous "exclusive".
Ditto.
I'll never get to play Heavy Rain now... unless I can convince my boyfriend who has a PS3 to get it.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zhukov said:
The key words in that article being, "But they fund our projects."

*sigh*

then what would be the point of multi platforms if each one has each game.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Good that means the game will be made for a quad processor and not the Xbox's slower hardware.

As ports always seems to drag a game down to the weakest console. Now that I have both a PS3 and a Xbox, I'm understanding why my PS3 was never used to its fullest...easier to port when you just make the xbox vanilla graphic version.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
"It's great to be with all these other great devs" who they won't talk to because they are busy with the film-games and can't stop to talk about "gameplay"

"They supported us." so they will continue to give as money, probably

It would be nice to see a developer with a commitment to console antipathy.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Doesn't eurogamer mean the Movie studio responsible for heavy rain is sticking with the ps3 as a movie medium?
LOL this is along the lines of quantic dream saying they had the market cornered for their type of game..and I just laughed and said when your the only one making what amounts to quick time event movie games then yes you are the top...with no competion.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Carlston said:
As ports always seems to drag a game down to the weakest console.
You obviously haven't read the Crysis 2 reviews, then. Or the Bayonetta reviews, for that matter.