Heavy Rain Won't Get Any Heavier

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
John Funk said:
I vote that Quantic Dream goes back to the "Dragon Ball Z hobos" idea that they had in Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. That was certainly surprising.
Haha, when you put like that, it's hard to disagree.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, everyone has the choice to not make a sequel for thier game. Most of them dont take it, but that doesnt stop them.

Also, considering someones probably going to come along and 'borrow' from the idea anyway it just wont really go away.

Oh and...
John Funk said:
"We created the genre," Quantic Dream's David Cage told Spong at the BAFTA awards[/a]. "We own the genre, and we want to show that Heavy Rain was not a coincidence or a lucky shot - that it was really something that makes sense and that we can build on."
Bit of error there.

Apr 28, 2008
Props to him for going after new IP's. Glad to see there's at least someone who's more interested in doing something different rather then putting out sequel after sequel.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I figured they weren't going to do a sequel, but I thought there was a chance they'd keep the Heavy Rain name for the sake of recognition, but I guess they can just put "form the makers of Heavy Rain" on the box if need be.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
John Funk said:
I vote that Quantic Dream goes back to the "Dragon Ball Z hobos" idea that they had in Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit.
Wait, what?

As an avid DBZ fanboy and OCD manic, I demand to know what you are talking about!

Please?

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Camarilla said:
I was going to say "Good, it's nice to see a company that can stick by their intentions without succumbing to the pressure to make a sequel", but now I can only think "Wow, what a pretentious jackass".

Claiming to have invented the 'interactive story telling' genre is like George Lucas claiming he invented moving-picture-o-vision.
That feels a bit harsh to me. He's not saying they invented interactive story telling. The games Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy are different enough from every other game out there that I feel it's fair to say their a genre all to their own.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Sign me up! Heavy Rain was great, and I'm down for anything similar.

I think the games/movies would be better off if they were only 2-4 hours long. I mean if it really is an interactive movie than what kind of movie is 10 hours long.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
John Funk said:
I vote that Quantic Dream goes back to the "Dragon Ball Z hobos" idea that they had in Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. That was certainly surprising.
I was certainly surprised. I have never been more surprised at how ridiculous a game can get within 4-5 lines of dialogue.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Dorkmaster Flek said:
No, we need less Indigo Prophecy Syndrome, not more! No more characters pulling magical Dragon Ball Z powers out their ass in the final act! God I hate that...
"To play indigo prophecy you need great reflaxes."- French guy in the tutorial to Indigo prophecy

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
After finishing Heavy Rain, the first thing I though of is that they need to take this idea to other film/tv genres. How would a horror film play out in this medium? How about a hospital drama, or even a black comedy? I like that they want to take risks, because they might happen on something amazing that some other dev wouldn't even try

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Then why, oh why, did you sequel bait in one of the endings?

COME ON.

I don't think anyone really wants a Heavy Rain sequel, but, I would, however, love some more Heavy Rain Chronicles.

And maybe an Omikron reboot.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Good, it's nice to see a studio standing out from the rest and saying "no, we are not going to ruin this game by milking it for another sequel that it doesn't need and will probably be shit anyway."

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
How could they make a sequel? Not only does the ending drmatically chnage on account of your actions, but the ending actually ends(usually), a sequel would be stupid.

I was really hoping for the chronicles though, I wanna know how Norman got his scar!

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Jabberwock xeno said:
John Funk said:
I vote that Quantic Dream goes back to the "Dragon Ball Z hobos" idea that they had in Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit.
Wait, what?

As an avid DBZ fanboy and OCD manic, I demand to know what you are talking about!

Please?
Towards the end of the game, the main character ends up looking more and more like a hobo, and gains magic powers that let him fly around and fire mind blasts at a similarly hobo-like cabal of vague malevolence, who also have magic powers (at one point you have a mid-air fight with one of them). You also get help from a shadowy organisation of actual hobos. And then glowing yellow AIs show up.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I wasn't expecting a sequel anyway, I have no idea why people expected one to be made, it's all complete and in one solid package... Which is what games should be instead of this messy hybrid of Day-one DLC and installments on different consoles etc. I have no idea how they could do a follow up well, so..

Also, I thought this was well known by now? I read it awhile back somewhere where they confirmed there were no plans?

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
No, we need less Indigo Prophecy Syndrome, not more! No more characters pulling magical Dragon Ball Z powers out their ass in the final act! God I hate that...
Um... that didn't happen in Heavy Rain. And Indigo Prophecy was more like a failed experiment in my mind.

But I really do think these guys know how to run a company. I mean, they were taking a big risk with Heavy Rain and they waited to see what would happen to give themselves credibility. That was a smart move on their part.
I know it didn't happen in Heavy Rain. I was talking about the suggestion that they go back to their Indigo Prophecy ideas. I liked Heavy Rain's design, and I think they have an excellent idea about how to do innovative narrative techniques in video games. Yes, there are flaws (mostly in the story itself IMO), but I think we can work those out.