Helicopter Crashes in games

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Its nice to think when you enter an aircraft you'll be landing safely. This is pretty much true in the real world (most of the time).

Its a shame in the gaming wolrd that no helicopters ever land. THEY. MUST. CRASH.

Im thinking of doing a small montage of the different helicopter crashes throught gaming history (Ive looked around, couldnt find one).

So people list off the games you know include our beloved cliché, the heli crash landing.

Alan Wake
Every Call of duty that includes Helis
Prototype
Split/Second
Time Crisis
Crysis 2
Saints Row 1 & 2
Battlefield 2
(I think a heli goes down in Half-Life 2, i can't remeber properly)
Legendary
Blacksite

Sci-fi crafts that resemble heli's may be included too!

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
You forgot Call of Duty 7's heli crash.

EDIT: Call of Duty 1 has a plane crash when you play as the British.[/quote]

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
How about the old Black Hawk Down game? I mean come on, it's in the title!

On a side note, that game had some of the best multiplayer I've ever played....

RockOn3906

Jun 7, 2008
You can add
GTA: San Andreas, specifically the mission where you man the minigun and try to take out a boat load of Da Nang thugs. Add in the fact that you lose EVERY SINGLE WEAPON YOU HAD except for a knife (which you get for free if you didn't have one) and all the infinite ammo you took 2 hours to cheat up, and screaming may ensue.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Gta 4, unscripted throughout the game and a double Helicopter crash scripted in the last boss fight.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
For your Saints Row 2 entry, you simply must include the epic jump from heli to Ultor building. Possibly as the finale. :p

Even though most Vertibirds don't crash (well, minus your intervention) you could include the Vertibird that gets knocked out of the sky by debris following the destruction of Raven Rock in FO3. Just for the lulz.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Halo: Reach. You ride in Falcons, which are basically futuristic helicopters:
While not technically a helicopter, the Pelican dropship is a VTOL craft, so I'd say it counts:

Church256

Jul 24, 2008
Halo has multiple crashed/crashing pelicans.

DNF has a flying transport that crashes too.

Etteparg

May 24, 2011
I believe that one of the 007s (Golden Eye I think) had a heli crash in the first mission. Could have been a plane though.

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
Does Reach count: You get told that the massive energy shield is electromagnetic, and guess what? you go through it and sure enough the helicopter gets EMP'd and you crash with all the marines killed.I gave thier corpses a stern look for being such idiots.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Most recently, Fear 3 has both a helicopter crash and your jet/transport/pod thing sort of crashes as well. I totally agree that it's getting a little ridiculous.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
The first Gears of War had a helicopter (I think) getting shot down in level 1 or 2. My friends and I have played the game so much we have running jokes in the cutscenes. "Man, no matter how many times they try, they just can't land that helicopter."

Metroidsage

Nov 17, 2009
Theres a crash at the start of goldeneye: rogue agent if that helps.
Also i think you could do an entire video on modern warfare 2's campaign, i swear there isnt actually a vehicle you enter that DOESNT crash.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Metroidsage said:
Theres a crash at the start of goldeneye: rogue agent if that helps.
Also i think you could do an entire video on modern warfare 2's campaign, i swear there isnt actually a vehicle you enter that DOESNT crash.
Thats a good point, pretty much every vehicle the player enters gets blown up or something! Lol Never really noticed that!

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
maybe include the helicopter from BF3 trailer that gets crushed by the building

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Both Just Causes. Partially averted due to helicopter landings being fairly easy, but if anyone says "I landed my helicopters safely more often than I broke them on some poor sap's head", you've found yourself a very bold-faced liar.

If you're talking scripted events only, I'm sure there's a cutscene of a helicopter crashing in there somewhere (because screw the story, I wanna explode oil rigs!).

epialesofaergia

Jun 6, 2011
I think there are two helicopter crashes in Resident Evil 4, but the one I know of for sure gets shot down. I'm not sure if that counts for you.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
evilneko said:
For your Saints Row 2 entry, you simply must include the epic jump from heli to Ultor building. Possibly as the finale. :p

Even though most Vertibirds don't crash (well, minus your intervention) you could include the Vertibird that gets knocked out of the sky by debris following the destruction of Raven Rock in FO3. Just for the lulz.
I totally forgot that scene. EPIC ENDING. I'll include that once i get a huge lkist of heli crashes and decide to make a montage :p

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I think it's pretty ironic as I heard recently that Apache helicopters have never been brought down.

Helicopter crashes are apparently more frightening and overused than any other because ''my god the rotors.'' [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HellishCopter]

OT: Left for dead is the zombifying pilot in a helicopter at the beginning of the hospital mission?...hmm