Helicopter Crashes in games

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
There's a nice heli crash scene in Vietcong. And also ARMA2 has a lot of this stuff - except that you always die.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
End of max payne 1
Left 4 dead 2 cold stream finale
Singularity intro

Thats all I can think of now

edit: medal of honor
interstate 76 finale
also plenty of copter crashes in flight control, urban assault, renegade, and pretty much anything that has dinamically controlled copters.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
I dunno what you are talking about, I never crash choppers...
*Takes out a Javelin and shoots down a chopper*
*Puts the Javelin down*
Though it's fairly common here in Chernarus.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Akiada said:
The Rainbow Six: Vegas games kinda both do this and subvert this. You see a couple NPC choppers in the games and they get destroyed: a civvie chopper gets it's tail rotor blasted while trying to get news footage of a gun battle between Rainbow operatives and terrorists, and in the second you take down an enemy chopper.

But the subversion? No chopper you ride in ever goes down. And you do spend quite a few mission intros riding to the location in a chopper too. The chopper comes under fire more than once and a pilot is even shot but the thing keeps in the air.

It's kinda funny.
I know, I kept getting nervous when I'd get into choppers in that game, it just seemed like you were tempting fate.

A Republic gunship from Republic Commando is pretty similar to a chopper. There's one that's being sent to deliver awesome ordnance to Delta squad when it goes down. I can't remember if one crashes while you're on it though. I don't think so.

Stalker Call of Pripyat has at least three helicopter crashes that you're supposed to investigate.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Yep. the only helicopter that hasn't crashed was in the broken steel DLC for fallout 3...
Even halo's roflcopter's go boom.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
somonels said:
*Puts the Javelin down*
A Javelin's an anti-tank missile system.

/weapons nerd

almostgold said:
I think just a big a problem is that in COD, the first extraction point never, ever, NEVER works out.

"The LZ is too hot!"
Of course it is.
In MW1 on that mission after the flash-back.

You spend like ten minutes fighting a retreat back up a hill, before reaching the top. THEN the pilot registers some SAM signals to order you back down the hill to the drop off point. WHy didn't we just stay there, considering the mission started 20 meters away!

OT: Hmm, one which noone has said...

Does MineCraft count? I built a Huey out of wool, glass and half wood/stone blocks and then removed the blocks beneath it so it was flying. Then I slept in it, but the roof was improperly lit so a creeper spawned and blew it out of the sky...

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
almostgold said:
I think just a big a problem is that in COD, the first extraction point never, ever, NEVER works out.

"The LZ is too hot!"
Of course it is.
Haha!
"And it's not like you have a big fucking minigun that can lay down some suppressing fire or anything..."
"But we don't have someone to shoot it! We need you to man the turret!"
"Why would you have a helicopter but no gunner?"
"Ummmmm... The LZ is too hot!"

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
Mirror's Edge has a helicopter crash I believe, as does Lost Plantet 2.

xxx

Akiada

Apr 7, 2010
Fidelias said:
I know, I kept getting nervous when I'd get into choppers in that game, it just seemed like you were tempting fate.
Yeah, there were a couple times when it was flying towards the team that I honestly expecting it to get shot from nowhere or something.

Rainbow pilots are just that badass that they can plot-armor their way out of the fate of normal video-game helicopters.

Stalker Call of Pripyat has at least three helicopter crashes that you're supposed to investigate.
Yeah, and in the first and second stalker games choppers feature as enemies. They're hard to take down in the first game (and only feature as engage-able enemies at the final stage) but you can drop them with an RPG if you're lucky (or like, lots of rifle ammo if you're persistent) and they all go down when an Emission hits and kills the pilots and passengers with uber-radiation.

In Clear Sky you fight one as a boss so it's a given that that one too goes down.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
Splinter Cell: Conviction has a helicopter crash as well. A bit funny, considering Fisher is kind of expecting it to go down.

Lemme think... if you count the flying ships in Jade Empire (which technically function exactly like helicopters, with one companion alluding to a handle that controls movement back and forth), there is a helicopter crash there too. Rather early, actually.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Akiada said:
Fidelias said:
Yeah, there were a couple times when it was flying towards the team that I honestly expecting it to get shot from nowhere or something.

Rainbow pilots are just that badass that they can plot-armor their way out of the fate of normal video-game helicopters.

Yeah, and in the first and second stalker games choppers feature as enemies. They're hard to take down in the first game (and only feature as engage-able enemies at the final stage) but you can drop them with an RPG if you're lucky (or like, lots of rifle ammo if you're persistent) and they all go down when an Emission hits and kills the pilots and passengers with uber-radiation.

In Clear Sky you fight one as a boss so it's a given that that one too goes down.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those fights. Wait, you fight choppers in SoC? I don't remember that. Maybe I was too busy cowering in fear or something. That seems likely. I did that a lot in that game.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
^=ash=^ said:
Mirror's Edge has a helicopter crash I believe, as does Lost Plantet 2.

xxx
Mirror's Edge get's bonus points for the helicopter crash being completely inexplicable. You kick a guy out of the side, and then suddenly it's spiralling out of control and on fire.

Another game where a helicopter spontaneously combusts because of it's proxomity to the protagonist is 007: Nightfire. You jump a snow mobile in through one side and come out the other, because it has the doors open on both sides. Then the whole thing explodes as you drive out the other side. It doesn't crash due to the sudden additional weight causing the pilot to lose control, it just explodes in mid air.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
At the end of Dead Rising 1 while waiting for the rescue helicopter, a zombie gets on while the pilot is scoping out the landing pad from afar, and when he takes off, the zombie gets to him, and the heli goes down on the far side of the mall, out of sight.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How about the resident evil games? Bravo team (the first team that enter the mansion) helicopter somehow crash at the start and in Resident Evil 2 a helicopter crash while a police officier try to signel it for recuse.
Also there is another short helicopter crash scene near the end of the game Conduit.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
MrJKapowey said:
somonels said:
*Puts the Javelin down*
A Javelin's an anti-tank missile system.

/weapons nerd
For Cheranus Armed Forces weapons training they told us to play Doom.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Umm... It's possible in Deus Ex
If you don't alert Jock about a suspicious mechanic, the helicopter that transports you to Area 51 will explode once you get out
It's not exactly a crash, plus it is avoidable, but yeah. This cliché even turns up in Deus Ex.