Helluva Boss (Pilot)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So Viziepop is back already with another show pilot called Helluva Boss.

And its quite good. More focused then Hazben Hotel was, probably because of a quicker production scheduled and better idea of what they wanted, not to mention shorter length. But both are great.

Hazbin Hotel link for those that missed it.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I'm really impressed with the quality of their animation, but moreso the quality of the imagination that went into the character designs. Al's monocle is a little off, the thumbnail reminded me of that, but otherwise the character design is really good.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Not going to lie I enjoyed Helluva Boss much more than Hazbin Hotel, the character felt better realized, pacing was better, and I didn't get sensory overload from it. The perspective in some shots were a bit wonky but other than that much better.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
PapaGreg096 said:
Not going to lie I enjoyed Helluva Boss much more than Hazbin Hotel, the character felt better realized, pacing was better, and I didn't get sensory overload from it. The perspective in some shots were a bit wonky but other than that much better.
I'm mostly the opposite, myself. Helluva Boss was more focused on a handful of characters, yeah, but the stop-start nature of the pacing ended up throwing me off. At one point they even had a flashback inside of a flashback (4:55), ultimately resulting in what looks like the writers forgetting what the point of the flashback was (why Luna is terrible) in favor of general backstory (5:11) mostly unrelated to her. At that point I was honestly confused as to whether we were still in the flashback or had gone into a scene change.

Similarly, I feel like I got a better sense of the major characters' natures in Hazbin than I did in HB, though in fairness HH did run almost three times longer, so they had more time to do so. Though I suppose part of it is also format. HB felt very much like a one-shot to me, whereas HH was rather overtly setting the stage for future episodes, and experience suggests that I naturally bias towards the latter format.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I agree with Asita's sentiment that the flashback segments ended up a little confusing, they were funny, but returning to the board room felt like a "Oh right, THIS is where we were." moment.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I find it interesting that they seen to have a selective colour scheme they had used for this and Hazbin Hotel like you don't see the colour blue and a few greens about.

Also why it's obvious that they put in 100% EFFORT into their work unlike some cartoons out there but I'm abit confused on what they are trying to achieved other than making a good shows?

I mean both shows are pilots so are they hoping some studio out there will come and scoop them up to be made into a full fledge show like Final Space for example? If so, who exactly will hired them due to the very mature theme and setting? Adult Swim?

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Meh, I can appreciate how much skill and effort went into the project but it just doesn't do it for me. Its simultaneously visually appealing and garish and its not very funny to me.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I really enjoyed both, particularly Hazbin. Imaginative character design, fluid animation, enjoyable humour. Though, I do occasionally get an "online roleplay" vibe from it... I can't put my finger on it exactly.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Scarim Coral said:
I find it interesting that they seen to have a selective colour scheme they had used for this and Hazbin Hotel like you don't see the colour blue and a few greens about.

Also why it's obvious that they put in 100% EFFORT into their work unlike some cartoons out there but I'm abit confused on what they are trying to achieved other than making a good shows?

I mean both shows are pilots so are they hoping some studio out there will come and scoop them up to be made into a full fledge show like Final Space for example? If so, who exactly will hired them due to the very mature theme and setting? Adult Swim?
I'd imagine that the plan is less to get it picked up and more that it'll be popular enough to make it on its own. And that's not an unreasonable game plan. Network television is losing popularity and web animation has become an industry in its own right, with established studios like DC (Harley Quinn and Constantine: City of Demons) and Dreamworks (Voltron: Legendary Defender), newer studios such as Rooster Teeth (Red vs. Blue, RWBY), and independent content creators ("Lord Bung's" SCP: Confinement) getting in on the action.

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
It was fun. Hazbin definitely has much more story potential, but Hellavu Boss could be good for a quick laugh in between new episodes of Hazbin. It's a bit of a moot point though as I doubt we will be getting new episodes of either anytime soon. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath as the creators have said they haven't even started writing more episodes yet.

I'd like to know if there is going to be any in universe logic as to the forms the souls of the damned take. Why do some become furries? Why are others more demonic looking? Why are some eggs? I know the real answer is "because it's a cartoon" but I'd be curious to see if they come up with any sort internal logic for the very diverse character designs.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Asita said:
Scarim Coral said:

I'd imagine that the plan is less to get it picked up and more that it'll be popular enough to make it on its own. And that's not an unreasonable game plan. Network television is losing popularity and web animation has become an industry in its own right, with established studios like DC (Harley Quinn and Constantine: City of Demons) and Dreamworks (Voltron: Legendary Defender), newer studios such as Rooster Teeth (Red vs. Blue, RWBY), and independent content creators ("Lord Bung's" SCP: Confinement) getting in on the action.
On a videoblog/YouTube post they noted that they're hoping to get picked for a season by somebody. They were vague about who they were hoping for, but realistically they need either an investor to go in on it, or to get pulled by a studio that's ok with adult cartoons - presumably either adult swim, Netflix, or the multitude of online options like Rooster Teeth whom you mentioned.

I think they won't go solo if only because it took something like a year or more for them to make one episode at this quality level (part time when not making actual money for rent and food) and so it's a tough sell to produce a season in any sort of timely fashion without financial backing.