Help: Disk failure

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Ok so my friend is over and we're doing a whole bunch of Call of Duty 4. We decided to switch to Modern Warfare 2 just to get a break. When enter the main menu go to choose a match when BAM it says it can't read the disk. So we take the disk out and clean it. Pop the disk back in and same thing again after we enter the game. We clean it again just incase and same thing. So we restart the 360 and keep doing it. We did everything we could possibly think of that might be an issue. It just seems to be the MW2 disk itself and not the 360. So has anyone encountered the same problem? If so what was the ultimate solution to the problem?

Capachinola

Dec 28, 2009
I put rubbing alcohol on the back with a cotton ball. If it still wont read the broken file or whatever, than it just became a $60 drink coaster

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Try taking it apart and running a magnet over the hard drive

(I kid, seriously don't do it)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm going to post something and I shit you not that it is a REAL way to clean disks that has worked for me in the past:

1) Get some toothpase
2) Put two small globs on the disk
3) using a VERY VERY SOFT CLOTH like tissue paper, spread the toothpaste around with some water.
4) "polish it" up gently for 30 seconds to a minute
5) rinse the water off in the sink and use more soft tissue paper to get the toothpaste off
6) Dry the disk with something like a cloth to remove any small flakes of tissue paper that may have stuck to the disk

You're going to end up with a shit load of tissues that are pretty gross, but your disk should be clean and work.

edit: here this guy shows how: Except he uses his thumb, I wouldn't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynsIGH4MUOI

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
AC10 said:
I'm going to post something and I shit you not that it is a REAL way to clean disks that has worked for me in the past:

1) Get some toothpase
2) Put two small globs on the disk
3) using a VERY VERY SOFT CLOTH like tissue paper, spread the toothpaste around with some water.
4) "polish it" up gently for 30 seconds to a minute
5) rinse the water off in the sink and use more soft tissue paper to get the toothpaste off
6) Dry the disk with something like a cloth to remove any small flakes of tissue paper that may have stuck to the disk

You're going to end up with a shit load of tissues that are pretty gross, but your disk should be clean and work.

edit: here this guy shows how: Except he uses his thumb, I wouldn't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynsIGH4MUOI
This works. This is how I got my Brawl disc to work.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
keybird said:
Yeah, did you move your Xbox while it was running
I moved it but not with a disk running. I might have gotten my 360 the day MW2 was released. But im not stupid ;-)

ctrl-alt-postal

Nov 16, 2009
Check for any damage. I had a 360 put a hairline fracture at the centre of the dvd, enough to make the game fail to read 9/10 times.

I use isopropyl alcohol myself, but toothpaste might work.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
try finding a place that will resurface games, or you might just want to buy a new one if there is no one near by.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
ctrl-alt-postal said:
Check for any damage. I had a 360 put a hairline fracture at the centre of the dvd, enough to make the game fail to read 9/10 times.

Oh damn! Now that you mention it there are fractures in the center. FUCK! The last thing i want to do is need to by a new one and the Map pack is out in a few days! The gods are angry at me I tell you!

ctrl-alt-postal

Nov 16, 2009
0p3rati0n said:
ctrl-alt-postal said:

Oh damn! Now that you mention it there are fractures in the center. FUCK! The last thing i want to do is need to by a new one and the Map pack is out in a few days! The gods are angry at me I tell you!

Hurry!! Erect a temple to the almighty Gates!! Burn the Broken and Fractured to appease these gods of the game!

Sorry to hear your disc died, I feel the pain. Good luck.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
If you can, try to install the disc onto your hard drive.. if it manages to do that, then you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

However, this may be the first signs of a DVD Drive Failure coming.

also, be careful when taking discs out of their boxes, particularly the metal boxes. Can cause some breaks in the disc

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I have had a couple discs like that. Prototype was one. Disc was in perfect shape ( disc goes in 360 or in case no exceptions) but it would still take a few tries to get it working. I traded it in and later rented a copy. Disc was a bit worn. But didn't have a problem playing.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
ctrl-alt-postal said:
0p3rati0n said:
ctrl-alt-postal said:

Hurry!! Erect a temple to the almighty Gates!! Burn the Broken and Fractured to appease these gods of the game!

Sorry to hear your disc died, I feel the pain. Good luck.
this is why i always pay that extra...wat is it like 5bucks for the 1year warrenty. :D

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Hey does anyone know if the MW2 disks have a DRM on it? We tryed playing MW2 on my friends HDD and it didn't work. Sorry I forgot that part (I fail). But when he left I tried it on my HDD and it worked. So it's either two things. It's either something is wrong with my friends HDD or the disk has a DRM.

DRM = Digital Rights Management (for those of you who don't know that)