Help getting Deus Ex Mankind Divided to work

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
Hi there,

I recently reinstalled Deus Ex Mankind Divided and it keeps crashing at the main menu. Now I have tried validating the game cache and that didn't work. Tried making sure all my drivers were up to date, they all were, tried googling and setting it to executive full screen from the launcher, still crashes. I even tried unchecking the assault/tactical pack while checking/unchecking directX12, still crashes. I even tried unchecking ALL DLC, nothing. What else can I do to make this work? THis game worked in the past, and I got 22 hours of gameplay from it.

My system in question is as follows:

CPU: i5-3750K @3.40 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970
RAM: 32 GB DDR3
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

I meet most of the recommended specs so that should be an issue, especially since I played it before.

Sep 14, 2009
usually not a thing, but I would make sure nothing else is running in the background when you boot the game up (close chrome/IE/firefox,netflix,etc..)

now I'm not sure, when you crash "at the main menu", can you go to the menu and go to different things, or is it as soon as you hit the menu from boot up?

if you can do stuff, I would try:

mess with the video settings for the game, I don't know the technical reasons behind it, but I've seen games crash because of hardware acceleration turned on, v-sync, and lots of other oddball settings.

I would turn off pretty much everything and set it to lowest settings possible (probably requires a restart of the game after doing these changes), then try and load a save or start the game, if it still crashes in the same manner, then you know none of those things are affecting it and you can move on to different trouble shooting, if the crashing stops then you know it's one of those and you can work your way up to figure out what it is exactly.

besides that I haven't encountered that specific crash, so I can't be of much use.

Apr 5, 2008
Try the following:
- *Temporarily* disable antivirus/antimalware/firewall
- Run game as admin. Find the game's install directory, find game exe, right click, properties, compatibility, run as admin.
- You've already updated drivers and verified game cache, just mentioning these for the sake of completion.

A last suggestion...assuming it goes thru the loading screens then crashes back to desktop, try the following. In Windows Firewall, create a new *outbound* rule to BLOCK the exe from making connections. At the main menu, it tries connecting to Squeenix servers for money store and the other *stuff*, could be causing it.

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
gmaverick019 said:
now I'm not sure, when you crash "at the main menu", can you go to the menu and go to different things, or is it as soon as you hit the menu from boot up?
It crashes before getting the options of selecting new game, load, options. Literally it crashes just as you see that white screen with the 2 jensen heads with no text other than title.

Sep 14, 2009
kiri3tsubasa said:
gmaverick019 said:
It crashes before getting the options of selecting new game, load, options. Literally it crashes just as you see that white screen with the 2 jensen heads with no text other than title.
hm gross....that narrows it down a ton at least as to what it could be, but honestly if google doesn't have answers for you, I couldn't tell you what it is, especially since you had it working before apparently. I would say it's some sort of C++/direct X version you don't have installed (after a game is installed, if one of those are changed after the fact, sometimes a game will straight up *not start/work*, and since it's been installed before that happened, it won't know it needs that specific version installed for it to start.)