Help in Skyrim

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Quick question, at what point can I go up against a dragon and not expect to die in 10 seconds? I've killed two by this point but that was when I had at least four guards helping me, when I tried to fight one on my own...I didn't last long.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I did it at around level 12, but I had a companion to divert its attention, a pillar for me to abuse to block its flame breath, and an assortment of arrows, potions, and poisons to help me. It felt more tedious than epic.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I beat my first one at like Level 7. No Companion. Nothing but me, My bow, and a somewhat large bolder to hide behind during the flame torrents.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I don't remember exactly, but once I was around level 20-25 I was able to kill pretty much every dragon in a few hits with a battle-ax.
They've gotten incredibly easy for me.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I started beating dragons around the time they started using frost breath.

Either the silly beggers don't understand that as a Nord I happily shower in the snowflakes...or they're making a point about my character's personal hygiene...wait, dragons are intelligent right?

The on topic answer to your question depends on how you're fighting the dragon. Tank and Spank? Destruction magic? Dual wielding? 2-handing? Arrows?

As a tip, always attack from its side when it has landed; in front you get the breath full on, behind you get stuck by tail slams.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I wasn't really able to just stand toe to toe with one until probably my upper teens in level. And now, at 23, my shield maiden can pretty much sit in it's face, block it's attacks, and bash it's head in. Early on, you need to make use of two importsnt things.

First, cover. Even a single tree can be very useful in saving yo from dragon breath. If you get attacked when not ner cover, have the dragon chase you to where there is some. Dragons also act differently around cover and will be forced into taking pot shots at you rather than trying to chomp your face.

Second, help. It's not always easy to get something else and the dragon fighting eachother, but it can do wonders. If you're in/near a town, have the guards help you out.. and let them take the brunt of teh assault. They're stronger than they look and will just come back if they do die, just make sure you get some damage in of your own so you get the soul when it dies. Help out with archery or long range magic, even if those aren't your main skills, but let them do most of the work.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
The trick with dragons is using cover effectively to avoid those damn breath weapons of theirs. Reminds me of just how OP they used to be in the older versions of D&D, but at least they had limits on how often they could use it in a day.

On topic, if you can't find good cover either invest in some fire and/or ice resistance enchantments on your gear or a good Ward spell if your a mage.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I finished off my first non-storyline dragon at level 15. Mind you, I had several health potions of every sort to help me through it.

After that, it gets a little bit easier every time.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
You could try turning the difficulty down, it makes a huge difference if you find yourself overwhelmed

HoradricNoob

Jan 31, 2010
Carry lots of pots and keep an eye out for some solid enchanted gear and you should be fine at any level.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Spell sword. Srsly.

Play SpellSword and your invincible, I play on Master and the only real threat are the Elders due to the flame bite combo they like to do a lot, bit of practice and caution soon rids them.

In case you don't know, Healing spell in one hand sword/axe in the other.

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
Dual Casting with the Impact perk staggers them... It's been a piece of cake ever since I took that perk... with dragons that is... friggin, transcendent XXXXmancers and their wards!

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
beat my first one alone at lv 10 I think with my thief. I just had stolen so many potions that I found one for resist fire and I have two swords for when shit gets ugly and daggers are no longer useful because well... you can't stab the damn thing while hidden. Use two swords if your a 1 handed skill. It will work man.

OHHHHHHHHHHH also, biggest thing, when they are grounded run to the side of them and hit. They can only then hit with the wings and that does much less damage then them biting you.

SoupCanX

Nov 7, 2011
I've got the achievement "Dragon Slayer" (Kill 20 dragons)

The best way I found was to use the strongest bow and arrows you can have, and make sure you don't miss. Using your shouts helped a lot to.

Wherever you go, there is always cover.

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
I killed my second at lvl 5, always find a rock to put between you and fire/ice breath and chip him with arrow or sword or magic. I used swords.

Granted it took a half hour xp

lol but now I'm 5 and take one head-on and it's usually a 50-50 so long as I use a shield and potions =/

OH! find or enchant a couple weapons as fire and ice, whichever the dragon breathes at you, use the opposite. =]

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Elsarild said:
I fuck their shit up since level 5.

Archers rule.
This. I took down two at once without taking a single hit. Of course, I did have
Dragonrend
but whatever. Archery dominates everything.

Everything.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
I've only been killed by a dragon once and I've killed well over twenty. It was a dragon you're not meant to kill (story related), i got too close and it picked me up and threw me. That kills you in one apparently

Shadows Risen

Nov 1, 2011
Depends how you're playing but I've been able to fight them comfortably since about level 8. I use bows and I have Fire Breath myself so use that when they're flying around (well, when they do that thing when they hover and shoot fire/ice at you, can't hit them when they move). Use healing spells when they're needed.

When it lands, I pull out two swords and attack it's side.

Magnesium360

FDA Approved!
Mar 9, 2010
My strategy for dragon killing so far has been to use my bow to get it's attention, and then go and attack its tail, side under its wing or the base of its neck with my greatsword. From those positions it's hard for the dragon to attack you. As long as you get in some good hits while it's down and then get out of the way when it takes off to attack from the air, they're not too hard to bring down. I'm about level 12 at the moment, but this strategy has worked well for me for a while. My weapons and armour aren't enchanted, just standard steel. Not even fine yet.

The problem for me is dragon priests. I tried to fight one a few times as it was guarding a word wall, but I get fried by its exploding-fire-ball-of-death spell in just a few hits. I'll probably try again a few times, and if that doesn't work I'll come back to it at a higher level.