Help Me Build A PC!

2HF

May 24, 2011
I recently attempted to buy a laptop from woot because it looked like it would play games decently. That order was denied. I'm going to take it as a blessing in disguise. I've got money, not drop 2K in a PC kinda money but more like buy a decent component each week (I get paid weekly) kinda money. And I like tinkering.

Now the tricky part. I've never done this before. I've taken them apart, I'm a wizard with a screwdriver and hammer (for those stickier components, you understand), but I've never put one together from scratch.

Here's what I want in the end. I want to be able to play games. I don't stream, I don't sound mix, I don't video edit. I just wanna be able to play Fallout 4 modded to hell and back. I don't need 1200 FPS, 30 has always sufficed but I'll take 60. I don't need 4K, 1080p is fine. If more is needed in the way of details let me know.

So here's how this is gonna go down. I will ask for your input on components, and I will ask for layman's terms. I know to many of you technical specs read like harlequin romances but to me it reads like stereo instructions. Once a few components have been suggested I may do a poll or some such to determine what actually goes in the rig. The whole time I'll be posting pictures and rambling updates about the whole process.

So then. I'm going to start with what to me seems the logical starting point, the case. Gotta have something to put those components in, right? It doesn't have to have neon running through it, just hold stuff in place. Also any tools I may need. I recall something about a wrist strap for electrical work...?

That may be horribly off the mark as a starting point but I stress, never done this before.

So suggest away!

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
As a starting point a budget would be helpful. I also wouldn't buy one or two parts a week. If you purchase them separately and something goes wrong with a part, it's possible the warranty may have expired by the time you find out. So I would just set aside a certain amount of money each week until you reach your budget.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
2HF said:
Here's what I want in the end. I want to be able to play games. I don't stream, I don't sound mix, I don't video edit. I just wanna be able to play Fallout 4 modded to hell and back. I don't need 1200 FPS, 30 has always sufficed but I'll take 60. I don't need 4K, 1080p is fine. If more is needed in the way of details let me know.

So here's how this is gonna go down. I will ask for your input on components, and I will ask for layman's terms. I know to many of you technical specs read like harlequin romances but to me it reads like stereo instructions.
You read the "help me buy a pc" thread yesterday didn't you?

With a $700 budget and no particular need for flashy lights or water cooling any basic case will do fine. Probably at least a mid tower.

I'd get something like this since I like simplicity and it's only $70. You can go even cheaper, just browse newegg in the cases section and see what's cheap and has good reviews

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146197

This is even cheaper and would be fine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Edit: Also, I agree with the other poster that it'd probably be better just to purchase this all at once. Not only for warranty reasons. I mean come on... I wouldn't be able to deal with the suspense haha.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I actually just bought a PC for that budget because my current one is blue screening whenever I play something heavier than Stardew Valley and I can feel it's slowly dying even during online video streaming. Here's what I got, and it's pretty much one of the best builds you can get for that kinda budget:

- Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB.
- Processor: Intel Core i5-6400.
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H, but there's a few alternative options I could give you.
- RAM: Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2).
- Harddrive: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD.
- Power supply: Antec VPF450.
- Case: BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-KKXSK-RP, but you can pick pretty much any case from around $30-40-ish.
- DVD drive: Samsung SH-224FB.
- Windows 10 Home license (because goddammit I can't use my old license).

For mass storage I'm going to use some relatively new HDDs I still have. If that ain't the case for you I'd suggest swapping out that SSD I got for a 1TB harddrive or something, or maybe two 750 GB harddrives. I never liked sticking everything on one harddrive. Spread that shit out a little, means you won't lose everything if one dies.

Speaking of spreading out, it'd be better if you don't do that with parts purchasing and buy everything at the same time instead. Maybe even from the same store. Means dealing with warranty issues goes a lot more smoothly and is equal for all parts (at least store warranty).

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
I'd recommend using PcPartPicker:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
It'll list what parts are going into the rig and do compatibility stuff for you, which can potentially save your ass. Even does a price check for you, but not all online retailers are listed, just the major ones.

Also, will you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and copy of windows? If so make sure you include those in the budget since they add up.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
2HF said:
Let's say $700.
Does this budget include keyboard, mouse, speakers (if needed) and all that stuff?

Also, how long can you hold out without one? As someone mentioned in another thread, right now is a really bad time to be building your own PC. Nvidia is most likely, if they already haven't, going to be announcing their new GPU's soon, which, once released, will lead to a price drop for anything you're going to be using. Granted you may be holding out until the summer. If you can't, well you can't and we'll just work with what we've got.

2HF

May 24, 2011
$700 is just for the stuff inside. Already got a monitor and the rest.

I can wait awhile I suppose.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
You won't come up with a better build than the one suggested by Cowabungaa, it is likely the best selection of parts for around $700.

Polaris and Pascal GPUs will be released in July-August. The new mid-range cards should perform at least as well as the current high end cards (ie. 480 and 1060 = 390x and 980).

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
2HF said:
$700 is just for the stuff inside. Already got a monitor and the rest.

I can wait awhile I suppose.
Yea, pay attention to Nvidia's release schedule and pricing to see if that changes. If not I'd highly consider this since he seems to know his stuff:
Cowabungaa said:
computer parts list
Worth noting that you also can get windows 10 from [url here]http://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/[/url] for much cheaper than other places. It actually is legit. If you don't then you're going to end up with a much lower budget as windows 10 will end up eating up 120 bucks if you go through Microsoft.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
I have a tendecy for going with similar manufacturers in the same parts, and I favour NVidia over AMD in cards. I tend to go a little overbudget, in a way to better keep it updated for the future. You can wait for teh new series of video cards, that will cahnge prices, but for something now, the build I've been eyeing for myself goes something like this.

CPU: Inte i5 6500 3.2GHz
MOtherboard: GIgabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 3
RAM: 8GBx 2Kingston HyperX DDR4
GPU: Gigabyte GeForece GTX 970 4GB Windforce
Storage: Western DIgital 1 TB 7200RPM/ Kingston SSDNow 120GB 2.5"
Case: Therlmaltek Versa H25 ATX Mid Tower
Power SUpply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze ATX

I forgo Optical DIsc. OS wahtever you want at the price you like. A bulit like thaat goes a bit over, for $850 budget, but it will last a moderate amount and play whatever you want for a good deal of time. It might not be high for Fallout 4 but I thinkk the i7 they want is excessive. I think this could work for you. It will give your Full HD in most games, and a lot of them running at a good FPS.