Help me choose a GPU for my first ever PC build!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Got regularized at my first job, so I can finally fulfill 14 year old me's fantasy of having a gaming laptop. Not that I couldn't afford it before, but getting a bonus definitely greased the wheels of my decision making. I've already finished most of my build, but I'm a little conflicted on the GPU.

Here's my build:
PartModel
CPUAMD Ryzen 5 5600 4.4GHz 6 Core Processor
MoboMSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi (AM4)
RAMGskill Ripjaws V 16GB Dual DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
SSDGigabyte SSD 1TB SATA 2.5' GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
HDD-
GPU?
CaseMontech Air 100 Lite Mesh TG Black Case mATX
PSUCORSAIR CV750 BRONZE 750W 80+ BRONZE POWER SUPPLY CP-9020237-NA
CPU FanDEEPCOOL AK400 AIR COOLER R-AK400-BKNNMN-G-1

I'm looking at the following GPUS:
GPUPrice
Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 Eagle$262
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6600$297
MSI Mech Radeon RX 6600 XT OC V1$331

I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte RX 6600 cuz I am a cheapskate. As far as I can tell the only real advantage of the Sapphire is that it's much smaller and has more updated output ports. And the 6600 XT... eh, it seemed cheaper than I was expected so I just put it in there. What do you all think?

I'd also appreciate any input on the build overall. My budget for now is right about at $1000, without an OS.

(BTW, if you want to suggest alternative parts, go right ahead, but don't waste your time hunting down very specific deals, we most definitely do not live in the same country and international shipping is logistical hell)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm not fond of Gigabyte. Sure they're cheap, but they have an imo deserved rep for low build quality and the occasional shoddy products. So for my tastes that card is out.

That leaves the Sapphire and the MSI, in which case you should the 6600XT. It's the most expensive, yes, but for only $30 more you should get about 20-25% more performance.

As for the rest, a 750w psu seems a liitle overkill for your build. Unless you want for upgrading later on, you could consider 600w, probably even 500w, and put the savings toward something else, like that 6600XT. Or maybe swap that sata ssd for an m.2 drive.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I'm not fond of Gigabyte. Sure they're cheap, but they have an imo deserved rep for low build quality and the occasional shoddy products. So for my tastes that card is out.
Seconded... and if you don't buy them from a retailer with a solid returns policy of their own, trying to deal with Gigabyte is notoriously painful.

That leaves the Sapphire and the MSI, in which case you should the 6600XT. It's the most expensive, yes, but for only $30 more you should get about 20-25% more performance.
The only caveat I'd put on that recommendation is checking the max card size the case can take.

As for the rest, a 750w psu seems a liitle overkill for your build. Unless you want for upgrading later on, you could consider 600w, probably even 500w, and put the savings toward something else, like that 6600XT. Or maybe swap that sata ssd for an m.2 drive.
I'd go a 600W and switch over to a modular one because they make cable management so much easier, especially in smaller cases... but that's me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

Hmmm noted on the Gigabyte. Not quite sure if I'll spring for the 6600XT, it's cheaper than I thought but it would require going to a new store. The original store is a lot more convenient and established. Will give it some thought.

I actually was going to go with a 650W PSU, but someone suggested I go higher just in case I wanted to upgrade like you said. And also for some reason the 650W PSU I chose was more expensive than this 750W.

Thanks for the tip on the SSD!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'd go a 600W and switch over to a modular one because they make cable management so much easier, especially in smaller cases... but that's me.
The store I was looking at didn't have many choices for modular PSUs unfortunately. I'm not going to be the one assembling it either. But I'll check again for a modular option, thanks.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The only caveat I'd put on that recommendation is checking the max card size the case can take.
Not an issue. The 6600xt is actually only slightly larger than the Sapphire and a fair bit shorter than the Gigabyte.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Looks like the XT is about 10% more powerful than the base 6600 but can cost about double.
I've owned a Saphire card it it was fine for me. Survived for 6 years and while still working, I gave it to my nephew.
Looks like your build will be able to play just about anything for some time, at least at 1080p.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hmmm noted on the Gigabyte. Not quite sure if I'll spring for the 6600XT, it's cheaper than I thought but it would require going to a new store. The original store is a lot more convenient and established. Will give it some thought.

I actually was going to go with a 650W PSU, but someone suggested I go higher just in case I wanted to upgrade like you said. And also for some reason the 650W PSU I chose was more expensive than this 750W.

Thanks for the tip on the SSD!
If the 650watt was more expensive than the 750watt my guess it was probably at a higher rating. Its not an exact science, and entropy means even a top cost quality unit can blow up on the first go, but PSUs are ranked Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Titanium. Basically its how good they are at delivering at least 80% of their stated power output under load (I think). I personally don't go below gold these days BUT budgets are a thing, I get that.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If the 650watt was more expensive than the 750watt my guess it was probably at a higher rating. Its not an exact science, and entropy means even a top cost quality unit can blow up on the first go, but PSUs are ranked Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Titanium. Basically its how good they are at delivering at least 80% of their stated power output under load (I think). I personally don't go below gold these days BUT budgets are a thing, I get that.
Actually the 650W was also a bronze. Hence it was confusing why it was more expensive. Perhaps because it was modular, I'll have to check again.

Any particular reason you don't go below gold?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Actually the 650W was also a bronze. Hence it was confusing why it was more expensive. Perhaps because it was modular, I'll have to check again.
That would also do it.

Any particular reason you don't go below gold?
Two parts paranoia and one part buying into the hype of higher rated PSUs. But when I'm hooking up a $1500 GPU to that thing, I want to know its going to be reliable so I buy what tech reviews have advised me is reliable and prayed.

Like I said, a bronze is fine. If they were constantly burning out and fucking up, they wouldn't get sold because they'd be a liability.

EDIT: Also, fuck off Gigabyte for your SSD. Samsung, Sabrent or Western Digital - in that order - are what I'd use.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
EDIT: Also, fuck off Gigabyte for your SSD. Samsung, Sabrent or Western Digital - in that order - are what I'd use.
Or maybe swap that sata ssd for an m.2 drive.
I just realized that my spreadsheet was outdated, what I was supposed to have put was the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD ASX8200PNP-1TT-C. I think this is a decent upgrade no?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Anyone got thoughts on the BeQuiet System Power U9 Bronze 700W 80+ Power Supply BN609? Or I guess BeQuiet as a brand. They have an... interesting name.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I just realized that my spreadsheet was outdated, what I was supposed to have put was the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD ASX8200PNP-1TT-C. I think this is a decent upgrade no?
Adata drives aren't the best, or fastest, but they're budget friendly. And any proper m.2 nvme drive is faster than the best sata drive. I guess you don't have a point of reference, but you'd definitely feel the difference in stuff like boot times and general responsiveness vs a sata drive.
Anyone got thoughts on the BeQuiet System Power U9 Bronze 700W 80+ Power Supply BN609? Or I guess BeQuiet as a brand. They have an... interesting name.
It's an entry level psu, and a non-modular one, but BeQuiet is a reputable brand with products ranging from decent to great. I'd personally go for a fully modular psu tho, so I don't have to deal with any unused cables lying around in my case.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's an entry level psu, and a non-modular one, but BeQuiet is a reputable brand with products ranging from decent to great. I'd personally go for a fully modular psu tho, so I don't have to deal with any unused cables lying around in my case.
Ah. I looked at the listing again which said "Modular". Turns out I should have read better, because the line was actually "Modular: -". Which is a bizarre way to say it's not modular. Thanks, will try if I can find at least a semi-modular alternative.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ah. I looked at the listing again which said "Modular". Turns out I should have read better, because the line was actually "Modular: -". Which is a bizarre way to say it's not modular. Thanks, will try if I can find at least a semi-modular alternative.
I'd recommend either EVGA or Seasonic for a power supply. They've been extremely reliable in my experience and are generally a pretty decent value.

Since you're leaning into a more budget power supply here's a 700w bronze for $79.94. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2g...nze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-br-0700-k1

I agree with Gordon though that I generally don't go below gold level, so for $10 more I'd actually recommend something like: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hR...old-certified-atx-power-supply-100-gd-0700-v1

Up to you if saving $10 to put into something else is worth it or not, but I would recommend against cheaping out on the PSU.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan